Forums are back in action! ×

I'm a SPARTAN!

Shortkaik

Yesterday, I ran the Ottawa Spartan Sprint, and it was so much fun! It was a rather rainy day, but despite the extra volume of mud, it was nice that it was cool rather than having a scorching sun.

Seriously, there was so much mud. There was sticky mud, and slippery mud, and watery mud and muddy water. All kinds of mud. And some of it smelled like horse poo. Which mud does sometimes, but was especially off-putting because the course was held at a horse raceway.... Not gonna think about that, though.

My elbows, forearms, shins and especially my knees are a bit worse for wear, but it was worth it. I don't yet have official photos or times, but I think it took me a bit over an hour (maybe 1:15?) and the only obstacle I elected to skip was the rope climb. Probably the hardest obstacle was the first barbed wire crawl, which was high enough that I could do it on my hands and knees, but must have been about 400 metres long and in about a foot and a half of muddy water with tons of stones underneath. That's where almost all of those knee bruises are from.

I can't wait for next year, hopefully this time I'll be able to find other people who are willing to go with me!

I must say, I think I had a bit of luck since my number for the race was 3000. Which is almost like 300. Which is totally significant at a Spartan Race!

AROO!!!

Here's a few shots I got, muddy me (sorry, no before pic!) and the state of my knees a few hours after the race. Next time, knee pads.

Diptic.jpeg

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

Mud is a Heaven sent gift and know that it affects all!!!!!! Everytime I used to dread mud I remember the days of falling at a triathalon...onto pavement (ouch). Remember, no strategy survives contact with the enemy. Which simply means you can plan...and plan...and plan. Then the race, and oh crap! I think you did extremely well and your wounds are points for bravery (dudes dig scars too, if earned in valor). Keep it up!!!!!!

Awesome!!! Looks like you had an EPIC, leveliing up race. I did the MidAtlantic Spartan Sprint last year. Had scrapes and bruises on knees, elbows and, after throwing my leg over the top of the 8 ft wall, the whole inside of my right thigh. This August I'm doing the MidAtlantic Spartan Super. IT WILL BE EPIC.

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

Woooo! This is intimidating yet also inspiring! I'll be doing one in January so I'm nervous! Any tips on how I should prepare?

You can sign up for the Spartan WOD email. Mostly build your upper body strength...and your lower body strength.....and if you think you might not be able to complete some of the obstacles, practice your burpees...lots of burpees...

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

Archived