Forums are back in action! ×

Eating right while moving

Ghost37

Does anyone have any advice/tips for how to eat healthy while moving? Since I'm shipping out at the end of the month, I've been helping my parents move 60-ish miles to be closer to my dad's job for the past couple of days, and it's just hit me that we've done nothing but eat fast food and other junk that's not good for any of us. Once we get moved in and everything, I'll be able to get back into a routine and everything and making healthy meals for my family. Until then though, all our cooking utensils are packed up and I'm not sure how to make a good meal out of cold pizza and fast food :/

"An amateur practices until he can get it right; a professional practices until he can't get it wrong" - Anonymous

"Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky." - Ace Combat 5

A 60 mile move is a 1-2 hour drive right? I'm assuming you aren't staying in hotels or anything and are crashing at either the old or the new place in the meanwhile. Even if all of the cookware is packed up, do you still have access to a microwave and refrigerator? Eating right is tougher on the move for sure, but it can still be done with a little planning. Get ready-to-eat foods from the grocery store (rotisserie chicken and frozen vegetables come to mind) rather than fast food and pizza. If that's not an option, try to make smarter restaurant choices. If you order smart, you can fill up on some pretty healthy foods at places like Panera or Chipotle.

There's an oven and fridge at both places, and a microwave at one. I've thought about the ready-to-eat things at the grocery store, but I get intimidated by what to pick because I don't feel like I know enough about what to look for. Pretty much all I know is what's specifically spelled out on the website. I think it's just the fact that they're frozen or that I don't know exactly how things are made or something like that, but I'm always wary of microwaveable foods. For some reason, I've never even thought about going over to the part of the store that actually makes food haha.

As for restaurants, house A is in the middle of nowhere, so there's only fast food places really. McDonald's and Subway are the main places we go. At Mickey D's I usually get a fruit and walnut thing or a grilled chicken club with no mayo if I'm really hungry, and at Subway I've been getting the turkey & bacon avocado 6-inch. I used to get all my sandwiches on wheat bread, but after reading Steve's articles about grains being not so good, I'm not really sure which bread to get in general. House B is in a more city area, and I haven't really gotten to look around that much. I do know though, that there's a Chili's, Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, along with pretty much every fast food place I can think of. A lot more choices, basically, which makes my over-analysis induced paralysis even worse.

"An amateur practices until he can get it right; a professional practices until he can't get it wrong" - Anonymous

"Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky." - Ace Combat 5

Do I just say I want it as a salad when I order it?

Chili's-fajitas with no tortillas. Just fork it.

Olive Garden tutorial on Sparkpeople:

"Lean proteins like seafood and chicken are good choices, except when covered in rich alfredo or carbonara sauces. Venetian Apricot Chicken (380 calories, 4 g fat, 1,420 mg sodium), Shrimp Primavera (730 calories, 12 g fat, 1,620 mg sodium), Herb Grilled Salmon (590 calories, 26 g fat, 720 mg sodium) and Shrimp & Asparagus Risotto (620 calories, 30 g fat, 2,530 mg sodium) are lower in calories and fat than other entrees, but still high in sodium"

"Skinny" your subway bread if you do Subway-tear off some of the bread. The 6 under 6 grams of fat is a pretty good program, just not paleo.

just keep on trucking...

Do I just say I want it as a salad when I order it?

I think salads are on the menu, and you just stand there and tell them what you want in it, just like a sandwich.

Also, olive Garden has a gluten free menu of you ask for it.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I think salads are on the menu, and you just stand there and tell them what you want in it, just like a sandwich

Haha, as long as I've gone to Subway and I never knew that. msuroo said something about Panera earlier, and while driving around I spotted one; what's something that I should get and/or suggest to my parents for lunch or dinner as we've yet to go.

Haha, as long as I've gone to Subway and I never knew that. msuroo said something about Panera earlier, and while driving around I spotted one; what's something that I should get and/or suggest to my parents for lunch or dinner as we've yet to go.

The nice thing about Panera is they're menu tells you approximately how many calories are in each item.

When I go, I almost exclusively get the Thai Chopped Chicken Salad. I would say that any of their "premium" menu items are good. Panera isn't cheap like fast food though. I also like they're Asiago Roast beef sandwich (be warned, it has horseradish on it).

Archived