Forums are back in action! ×

Trouble doing squats

nickjw2137

Hey guys this is my first post and i need some help because when i try to do squats i basically get stuck at a half squat. The only way i can go lower is if i bend my back or go onto my toes, both of which i know are not good. I can do a pretty good squat and keep my knees behind my toes if i put a .75 inch block under my heels but im not sure if this is good to do or not. So what would your guys advice be? Im pretty sure that my problem is that im not flexible enough so what stretches would you guys suggest doing that will help me be able to do proper squats. Also, for the time being is it ok to do squats with my heels on an edge?

Try widening you stance a bit to open up the hole for your body to drop into, and despite what is often taught, it's ok for you toes to point out to the side a bit. You can bend forward at the waist a bit too, keep your back straight and your chest up.

Are you trying these with weight, or just body weight?

When I squat, I wear Rogue Do-Wins which have a .75" heel. Now the difference between that and what you're doing is that a weightlifting shoe is going to be much more stable than having your heels up on a block. So you might want to look into getting some weightlifting shoes, that should really help a lot. And of course continue to work on flexibility. Ankle flexibility may be a culprit here.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-weightlifting-shoes.php

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

hi nick. your issues sound very similar to mine, and mine is largely due to bad flexibility generally all over, but mostly in hips/ankles/calves. i created a blog post that hosts a bunch of mobility stretches you should do on a regular basis that will definitely help (the link is in my signature too). and the best thing you can do is just keep trying. keep squatting until you feel comfortable with the move - you won't get better if you don't do it a shit ton. also, box squats (or ball squats, as kewilson said) will help you focus on proper depth. as will

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/entry.php?7962-MOBILITY!!

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

The reason for the knees-past-toes recommendation has to do with stresses on the knee. If it's far in front of your toe, it's far from the centre of gravity, leading to more stress on the knee.

For bodyweight squats, there is no reason to have the knee go beyond the toe, so don't do it.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

hi nick. your issues sound very similar to mine, and mine is largely due to bad flexibility generally all over, but mostly in hips/ankles/calves. i created a blog post that hosts a bunch of mobility stretches you should do on a regular basis that will definitely help (the link is in my signature too). and the best thing you can do is just keep trying. keep squatting until you feel comfortable with the move - you won't get better if you don't do it a shit ton. also, box squats (or ball squats, as kewilson said) will help you focus on proper depth. as will

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/entry.php?7962-MOBILITY!!

Double everything Matilda said on the mobility. For more videos after her initial bunch, just search "squat" on http://www.mobilitywod.com/.

This is an issue for me as well--I have a disability that really limits my ankle mobility, and I can't get them much past 90 degrees, so regular squats are out for me. I've been doing the incline leg press at the gym instead. Someone recommended wide-stance (plié) squats, too, though my knees tend to crackle a bit when I do those.

I'd love to hear some more suggestions for non-squat exercises that work the quads well!

Archived