Forums are back in action! ×

Protein drink before bed?

DoogieT

I was reading this posting here about protein drinks:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?12796-So-many-proteins-so-little-experience

Can I have a protein drink before I go to bed (just the powder and skim milk) if I haven't worked out that day, or should I only have one before bed if I've been working out? Tons of people have told me not to eat before bed because your body doesn't burn off the calories and they become fat, and the last thing I want to do is wake up with more chub when I want to wake up with more muscle. :)

DoogieT

Shoryuken!

Not quite: There are two kinds of milk-derived protein shakes out there. The whey ones are intended for rapid absorption, as in post-workout recovery. The casein ones are intended for slow absorption, and serve well as either nighttime extra protein or as a component in meal replacement shakes.

If you're aiming to gain, and want to top up your daily protein, but have reached the tolerable limit during the day, a bedtime casein shake is ideal. As with most protein shakes, it'll be around 200 cals a serving, just factor that in on your allowances. I don't bother with lifting vs non-lifting day eating (I just eat when hungry) but I'm not bothering to worry about leanness (recidivism! heresy! ha!) so someone else with abs might want to comment there.

You can, but why do you want to? If it's because you're hungry, then yeah - eat something. If it's because you want to get more protein, I wouldn't bother on days where you haven't worked out. As I recall, you're about 190ish. That's 86 kilos & the recommendations range from 1 gram per kilo for maintenance to 2 grams protein per kilo for heavy lifting. If you are already set for protein, I'd recommend an avocado or something for satiety.

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." - Red"I'm not losing weight, I'm evicting fat." -me

If you are eating enough throughout the day, you shouldn't be hungry before bed. Also, on the days you work out, a post-workout protein shake is a must in my books.

If you feel that you must get some protein into ya at bed time, have meat or, as suggested earlier, an avacado. Protein shakes are great, but should be consumed in moderation as they contain synthetic properties.

Melissa

Archived