Forums are back in action! ×

I don't have a goal, and that doesn't bother me!

Lachy

So, Steve is always advocating having a goal, a Dragon to slay, and using that as your motivation, to fuel your commitment and dedication. Seems to work for a lot of people, and that is awesome. I don't have a specific goal, mine are kinda vague (get stronger, loose some fat, get fitter).

For a little over a year now I've been consistantly training 3 - 5 days a week, I've lost fat, I've gotten stronger, and I've gotten fitter. I used to worry that if I got knocked off my routine I wouldn't get back on it, but I have jumped right back into it a few times now, after taking time off due to injury, fatigue, etc. I'm very confident with my commitment, dedication and progress. I just don't have a specific goal that I'm aiming at.

Is anyone else in this boat? Trucking along just fine, but without a specific destination?

your unspoken goal is balance and mental centering when it comes to fitness... in the hang loose approach... nothing wrong in having evolved, complex goals that aren't rah-rah charge the hill all the time... :)

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Well, my goal is just to get back into the routine of working out most days. But I do feel a little weird that my goal isn't to do such in such in yoga, or lift x times week, or whatever. I've had those kind of goals for so long, but I burnt out/had a lot of shit to deal with and couldn't keep up anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

I have some specific goals I'm shooting for, but the main one is not one that I can quantify. So yeah, kinda there with you, in that I can't say "I need to be able to lift x" or even "I need to be able to do x". Right now I'm just enjoying my newfound fitness, and wishing I'd figured out how fun it was years ago.

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

EFT, that an interesting theory, might be something to it ...

Gald to know I'm not alone :D

Infact, in the past I've found having a dedicated goal is detrimental to my progress. Like aiming to run 10K, failed, and it destroyed my routine at the time (a while ago). I can make small changes without trouble, a big change is too disruptive throws me off.

I'm with you. I make small goals for the challenges. But I don't really have one big goal. I know that really motivates some people, but I don't think I'm wired that way. I keep exercising and eating right because I like the way it makes me feel better and I enjoy getting stronger, but I have no plans to be the first 50 year old woman to do 1000 pull ups or something

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I think you do have goals just in a different kinda way e.g. you are focussing more on maintaining regular ' habits ' where you are sticking to certain routines etc.

This is in my opinion probably better than setting specific goals where you focus on a start & finish. I found the pressure went off in relation to weight goals once I ceased trying to push myself to an end date etc.

I still set goals but try not to focus on the end date so much anymore & I seem to be achieving more:) but that is me & not every bodies cup of tea!

'Don't quit, two words, that's it' :-)

Right now my goal is to just get through two months of work and summer classes:

-Without stress-eating

-Preparing my meals to take to work and school each day so I'm not left scrambling for something to eat

-Standing at my desk for four hours per day since I don't have the time for the formal exercise.

-Foam rolling my "trigger points" at least once a day

-Thinking of a new goal for August!

I've been aggressively goal-setting for a year now--I've lost 55 pounds and run two 5Ks, so there's nothing wrong with working on my habits and recovering while I get my life in order. That's the way I look at it. :-)

Archived