Forums are back in action! ×

A [Possibly TL;DR] Introduction

My name is Shade, I'm 25 years old, living in sunny Florida, and I'm a lazy overworked night owl. ["Hi Shade!"] So, after a long night of going through the posts on the website, which all started from me reading a news story about a 75 year old Guinness Record Holding body builder, I find myself at a precipice. I want to change my life.

Well, I've wanted to change my life for almost a decade now, to be fair. But for once I think I might have a snowball's chance in Hades of accomplishing it. Maybe I should back up a little.

I've been chubby/husky/overweight/out of shape since probably 3rd or 4th grade. My mother worked all the time, my father was disabled, so there wasn't a whole lot of incentive to get out and do things. The only breakthrough in losing weight in my life happened when I was 14 or so. My father decided we were going to go on Herbalife (which in hindsight, was probably bonkers for my age) and it worked- I lost 40 pounds, went to Italy for Christmas, walked all over there, saw part of the world I'd never seen ... then came back, and lost it all.

Well, my father Died back last November. He was my main supporter - never said anything about my weight save for a few mild jabs every once in a while. It wasn't like I was the odd ball really - I come from a family of both sides having thicker people, it just seemed, well ... normal.

But, looking at myself now - this isn't how I want to be. And finally, thanks to this site - I think I might have a shot at changing that.

So! Game plan/goals huh?

- Drop down from my current weight of near 300 to 250 (that, I feel is a reasonable starting point. I'd like to go lower, but I'm not going that extreme yet)

- To be able to go into any store, in any mall, and be able to find something that will fit me. (It seems vain, but I've never had that luxury in my life. It's always been the plus size/adult section even when I was young - and it was a fad shock to not be able to fit into the 'trendy' things as a kid. Even now, it is near impossible to find something that looks good in a magazine that would have a chance of fitting me, and that's depressing)

- Learn how to parkour (and not break something in the process)

- Learn Martial arts (Haven't decided which exactly, I haven't gotten THAT far yet)

- To Be able to bench press my own body weight

- Learn how to bellydance

- Reverse the damage years of being a heavier size have done to my joints

- Have more energy to get through my job, and have the energy and will to want to go out and Quest in the Concrete Jungle

So far my plan(s) are:

- Start with the beginner strength circuit, and work at it as faithfully as I can until the exercise comes easily

- Begin modifying my dietary habits to include healthier choices and stop surviving on so much soda

- Keep myself accountable for what I do, and what I eat

Pitfalls : I work night shift, I work 12-16 hour shifts at a time, plus take care of my elderly mother, and contend with a veggie-hating fiance.

I, like many others always thought I would need a gym to succeed - and when you live at night, gyms are rare and impossible at times to find. So far, tonight I'm on the right foot - I'm motivated, and ready to take this on. But I think what I lack is accountability - no one else is watching what I do but me, no one cares what goals I reach, so part of me thinks 'well what's the point' - so, that's why I'm here - hoping to have a little bit of accountability to spur me into actions.

If you read this far - you are amazing, because I ramble this late at night when I have nothing to do :P Thank you.

If you need accountability....this is the place for it! Welcome and congratulations on taking the hardest step - deciding you want to make a change and making a plan! I'm excited to see how far you can come!

No gym needed...you can absolutely do amazing things with just your bodyweight.

Feel free to poke around and ask questions - we're nerds; we love questions! :)

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Welcome from a fellow newbie!

I hear you about the grave shift thing... I work 12 to 14 hour shifts (usually 7p-7a), but I always make myself take a "lunch break" and workout or run on alternating days. I think there's *1* gym in the downtown Seattle area open 24 hours, and it's too far away to make it there and back in an hour. Instead, for my workout I do the body weight stuff. It's so worth it :)

Where in FL are you located? If you're coastal on the panhandle, I may be able to help locate a reputable martial arts school.

Cheers!

EightDigit - Level 1 Dwarven RangerSTR: 3 | DEX : 3 | STA : 3 | CON : 2 | WIS : 2 | CHA : 2Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade.-Rudyard KiplingBattleLog | G+ Account 

Archived