Forums are back in action! ×

LRB's next fitness goal?

LRB

Six weeks ago, when I was able to do five consecutive pull-ups with the strongest band assist available, I set myself a goal of doing an unassisted dead-hang pullup. And I made it.

So now I need a bigger dragon. What should it be? Share your thoughts, and if there are a few clear choices, maybe I'll set up a poll. For now, I'm toying with aiming for 100 burpees uninterrupted (I can do five). Or maybe a hand-stand pushup (I can get up into the handstand, and hold for 10-20 seconds). Or perhaps something to do with a percentage increase in my lifts (probably deadlift or bench press -- the first because I'm relatively good at it, the latter because I suck at it). Or should I work on taking time off my one-mile run? Or rowing faster and more efficiently than I do now?

Tell me, fellow rebels, if you were me, what would it be? (I already have weight & bodyfat goals in mind, but those are secondary or even tertiary to my competence goals).

Thanks!

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Probably the percentage in my lifts. What's your bench press problem? How's your form?

My form is okay, it's my strength in those particular muscles that could use some work. When I can engage my core, I tend to do better, and I'm not engaging my core in a bench press -- do you? Maybe it is my form . . .

Anyway, my deadlift is somewhere north of 175 for a 1RM (I weigh just under 140), but my bench press 1RM is right around 75lbs.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Yes, I engage my core, but I have to remind myself to tighten everything right before I lift.

I was just wondering what you thought your issue was, since you can do full dead hang pullups. They use much of the same muscles.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

LRB i think the handstand push-up is a good goal. it is used in a lot of CF wods and also focuses a lot on stability, core, and upper body strength, so can be carried over to many other moves.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

LRB i think the handstand push-up is a good goal. it is used in a lot of CF wods and also focuses a lot on stability, core, and upper body strength, so can be carried over to many other moves.

Totally agreed. Plus, you can progress from something a little less intense (like a pike push up) towards it. If you do them with your feet on a stability ball versus a bench you still get a lot of core involvement and get used to the general movement (my 2 cents).

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure what my fitness goals should be this time because I want to change things up. Last time, I tried to run a 5k, so, this time, I'm going to try to decrease my mile time. I've been having issues with my wrist from pushups and head stands, so I'm thinking one of my goals is going to be exercises for wrist work. You could always pick one of the hundred-pushup-type programs and try to finish one of them in 6 weeks. And there is always the option of picking a new activity like jumping rope or swimming and trying to get to progress out of a novice state before the challenge is over.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Archived