Forums are back in action! ×

Nitrate improves mitochondrial function

Denny

A new study from Karolinska Institutet shows that nitrate, which exists in good quantities in spinach, improves mitochondrial function. In simple terms your muscles performs better by consuming more nitrate. Another study from Karolinska Institutet shows that exercise alters your DNA, in a matter of minutes. Karolinska Institutet is one of the largest medical universities in Europe which makes it a good source, you can read about it on Wikipedia.

Nitrate have had a negative reputation for a long time and with each new study we're learning new positive things about it. Maybe we shouldn't gluttonize in spinach and radishes just yet but it's a good reason to eat more vegetables. :)

Interesting stuff. I'd like to take a gander at the studies themselves when they are available. The whole nitrate issue has been a concern for those of us who eat a lot of cured meats (bacon anyone).

The second study is cool, I've never even heard of the possibility of DNA modification.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I think this pdf is the study. I searched for Dietary inorganic nitrate improves mitochondrial efficiency in humans, Cell Metabolism, 2 February 2011 which is the study mentioned in the first article.

Excellent! Lunch time reading for sure.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

The second study is cool, I've never even heard of the possibility of DNA modification.

That's because it's a misnomer. Exercising doesn't modify your DNA. It changes your phenotype, or the expression of your DNA. The misleading article title is an example of lazy science journalism.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

That's because it's a misnomer. Exercising doesn't modify your DNA. It changes your phenotype, or the expression of your DNA. The misleading article title is an example of lazy science journalism.

Ah, that makes sense. DNA stays the same what is does changes, correct? My knowledge of biology stops at the high school level.

Ah, that makes sense. DNA stays the same what is does changes, correct? My knowledge of biology stops at the high school level.

Correct, DNA can and does change (this is how both cancer and mutations develop, for a survey level explanation) within individual cells. However, exercise does not cause the transcription errors that occur when DNA is unpackaged, used to create the RNA for creating a protein, and then repackaged. That's things like oxygen (welcome to why antioxidants help prevent cancer), radiation, or other things that can damage biological molecules.

Yep, changes how it is expressed due to all the different proteins and hormones that are released and how they interact with the DNA. Just learned this after banging out The Paleo Solution last week. You kill it off yet bigm?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

For better journalism, change "modifies DNA" to "affects epigenetics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

Interesting about the nitrates - I had no idea. I always thought anyone talking about dangerous nitrates was just mispronouncing/misspelling nitrites and talking about processed meat. Looks like I'll have some reading to do.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Archived