Forums are back in action! ×

Accountability

GoGo

So, I got back from 3 weeks in Ontario visiting with my paternal grandfather who was diagnosed with cancer in March. I think I saw all of vegetables 3 times I was there (incidentally, it was roasted carrots smothered in butter each time) as neither my paternal grandparents eat them nor my maternal grandmother. The former eats nothing but processed food and the latter just doesn't like them. I did manage to stay away from potatoes, which made their presence known at every meal. I had a hard time getting away from the salt because my maternal grandmother loves smokies and garlic sausage. In the end, I was surprised to learn that I didn't gain any weight at all and in fact lost a few pounds despite being relatively inactive. Upon returning home, however, I have regained those few pounds mostly because I've succumbed to a craving and have eaten spaghetti twice in the past 6 days. I know I should stay away from it.

Anyway, today I was up early (it's only 11 a.m. here, early for me!) and it's not too hot out so I'm thinking I should drag my fat butt out for a hike.

This is my accountability thread. Mods, you can move it if you wish, I wasn't sure where to put it.

I am announcing here that on June 26, 2012, I am going for at least a 1 hour hike with 2 dogs.

At the start of my hike, I will take a picture and post it to this thread, if I can, from my Droid. At the end of the hike, I will do the same.

Accountability. I need it. I need someone to crack the whip. Not sure how much accountability there is on the interwebz, but here's a shot at it.

Now, to go get ready.

I am jealous of your hike! It looks like a beautiful place, I hope you have a good time with the dogs! Can't wait to see your after picture (you should include the dogs in it!)

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

I unfortunately didnt get a picture of the dogs but they did have fun!

This is what, for some reason I cant explain, I decided to CLIMB!

7450404298_bcbe27ee5c.jpg

It took me about 30-45 minutes. If i were in better shape I would have done it faster but Im a big girl so maybe 35-45 isnt that bad.

This is the view from the top. Im glad I started back down when I did as it is raining now and the climb down took another 35 minutes. It is very steep!

7450436326_21892ff9ed.jpg

I will try to remember doggie pictures next time :)

Omg that looks awesome. Bears?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

It doesn't matter how long it took you, what matters is you DID IT! Awesome. Next time, doggie pictures for sure.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Bears, cougars, coyotes, and rattlesnakes. Gotta love the Interior of B.C. lol

We didn't see any bears (or cougars or rattlers), but there were a couple of warring woodpeckers.

As for the beauty, it's beautiful in its own way, I suppose. There's something to be said about the way your shoes sound as you crunch through the fallen pine needles, how the rocks sound as they scrape underneath you. Trekking through the bush on the Coast (Vancouver area) was a different experience because everything there is wet, mossy, and lush, but here it's dry and a different type of ruggedness.

Tomorrow, I'm considering heading to the hoodoos nearby, but without the dogs b/c there's a lot of cactus up there and I don't have enough booties for both of them (plus Maggie, my dad's black lab has injured her right foot again). No bears to be fearful of there, but will have to keep an eye out for the rattlesnakes.

Ahhhh... BC.

We've done a lot of hiking the past year in Montana and Wyoming and got used to worrying about bears (never saw them hiking, thank goodness).

Sound like some really great treks you're going on!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Surprisingly, I was not sore at all yesterday from that hike. I thought, while doing it, that the next day I'd be in a ton of pain but not so. Very encouraging because I haven't done any hiking, or much exercise, in 2 months.

Today is hot, 23°C, and dry (30% humidity). I am getting ready to head out to the hoodoos, but I'm packing food first! Then I have lots of work to do at home before my parents come back from their mini-vacation to the Yukon, and I also am behind at my job, too so I should get on that.

Taking only 1 dog with me this time, as my dad's black Lab is still limping quite a bit and I don't want to injure her again.

Hopefully there isn't any cactus on this route and we don't see any rattlesnakes!

Well not doing the hoodoos..too steep and i am not confidant i wont get hurt so i will wait until i can go with a friend. off to find some where else.

Archived