Forums are back in action! ×

I really have no idea where to start...

EnygmaEve

I want to eventually get to where I'm doing some major strength training, but I'm terrified of hurting myself by doing things the wrong way. I'm thinking about signing up for a weightlifting class at my local community college, or in lieu of that seeing if I can find a personal trainer that works at my gym that can teach me (though the couple I've talked with just seem content to steer me to the "weight loss camp" thing they have). I'd rather teach myself and save the money, but like I said....terrified.

I'm seriously lacking in core strength, so I've been working on that. I've had lower back problems in the past, but I haven't had much grief if any at all within the last 5 years or so.

I'm overweight and am currently working on cleaning up my diet but I really need a solid plan when I step into the gym else I'll just wonder around doing things here and there, and even when I come up with a plan for myself, I worry that I'm not making the most of my time at the gym.

So I def need some assistance in formulating said plan....

Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

Rudyard Kipling

Hi Enygma!

I was pretty much in the same situation just a few months ago. To start, Steve has a bunch of free resources here, some of which go over how to do various exercises properly. If you're really concerned about lifting weights, try starting out just doing the various body weight variants of various exercises (e.g., body weight squats). A lot of them can be customized to various levels of starting strength, and don't involve you lifting anything more than your own body weight. My strength was so limited when I first started that I spent most of the first two weeks doing nothing but body weight exercises before moving on to using some weights in my routine.

If body weight exercises are too easy once you think you have the form down, just start with the lowest level of weight available at your disposal (e.g., just squat or deadlift with the bar and no weights). If that's too easy, then up the weight a little bit incrementally until you feel like it's at an appropriate level. If you're not sure about form, just post a video of you doing the exercise here, and I'm sure one of the bajillion of hardened lifting experts on the forums will give you all the points you need to do every exercise perfectly.

Cheers,

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

Thanks for the tips.

I still have some residual strength in some areas (my thighs and calves, I think, will never ever be really weak), I've lost some upper body strength, and my lower back is pretty weak. I used to be able to max or near-max situps and score in the 80s for my pushups on the Army PT test....then of course I'd near-bomb the 2mi run because I run like a cartoon character.

Thinking of just growing a pair and trying the deadlift with just some 10lb weights assuming I can find some at my gym that are the same size as the 45lb so I can make sure the bar is high enough off the floor.

I'm sadly lacking a decent way to record myself doing exercises right now. But I'll see what I can do.

Rudyard Kipling

My biggest, hugest tip is to read Starting Strength. It will teach you how to lift properly and how not to hurt yourself. I just did and it has changed the way I lift for the better.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

My biggest, hugest tip is to read Starting Strength. It will teach you how to lift properly and how not to hurt yourself. I just did and it has changed the way I lift for the better.

Oh wow, this is only a couple of hours away from me: http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/ssc/starting_strength_in_texas

Rudyard Kipling

This. I have yet to find a better resource for technique than this book (technique for lifting, that is...not sure, given your stated goals/situation, that I would follow the nutritional advice).

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

+1 for this. Its the best resource out there. Since you're in the Dallas area I suggest checking out John Burroughs at Geek Strength Labs, he's a Starting Strength certified coach and could really help with your technique.

I want this. Maybe as a present to myself when I hit one of the 300/400/500 (bench/squat/dead lift) goals I have.

http://aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=203&rn=319&action=show_detail

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I LOVE that book. I still use it all the time.

*sometimes I quote it* GAH!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

So I went to the gym last night and tried squats and standing shoulder presses. I was able to do shoulder presses with just the barbell, though I think I need to work on my technique some more. Squats, on the other hand....kicked my ass. I can belt out bw squats, but when I followed the exact protocol for them in Starting Strength, I was only able to get 3 sets of 5....using the 20 and 30 lb pre-weighted barbells that live near the dumbbell racks at my gym. Gotta earn that bar I guess.

Threw in an hour of yoga after that for stretchy fun times.

In other news, I use the Sleep Cycle app on my phone (pretty nifty little .99 app), and after that workout, my graph was the deadest it's been since I started using the app.

Rudyard Kipling

Gotta earn that bar I guess.

True story. Squats are HARD :) But, you'll be able to increase the weight really quickly (surprisingly quickly, actually). Just keep your technique on point, squat a few times a week, and the weight will come :)

True story. Squats are HARD :) But, you'll be able to increase the weight really quickly (surprisingly quickly, actually). Just keep your technique on point, squat a few times a week, and the weight will come :)

Yep. My starting working weight in November was 165 lb (I had previous experience with squats in high school 7 years ago, so I started a bit higher) and I couldn't do 195 lb even once with anywhere near good form. Now, 9 months later, I'm repping 285 for 5 sets with pretty good form, and that's with a few months off here and there because I injured myself due to poor form. Focus on form and the weight will come.

500 / 330 / 625

Focus on form and the weight will come.

Yeah. People were looking at me weird as I kept referencing my iPhone, reading the Starting Strength chapter after like every single one of my first few BW squats. I wanna say that squats are harder now doing them right :P

Rudyard Kipling

Yeah. People were looking at me weird as I kept referencing my iPhone, reading the Starting Strength chapter after like every single one of my first few BW squats. I wanna say that squats are harder now doing them right :P

LOL! Wait till you start using your phone to take video of your form :) That has definitely gotten me some weird looks :P

LOL! Wait till you start using your phone to take video of your form :) That has definitely gotten me some weird looks :P

Oh, I just ordered one of these to do just that. And I really don't care if people look at me just as long as they leave me the hell alone lol.

Rudyard Kipling

OK, so I had a hellish week last week. Monday I lightly pulled a groin with my squats, and I got a bad sinus headache starting Wednesday that kept me out for 4 days. I could easily see myself working out with the sniffles or sneezes of seasonal allergies, but sinus headaches have a special kind of hell associated with them and I just couldn't force myself to do much more than agonize over WHY THE HELL OTC meds wouldn't put a dent in it. I lament not being able to complete my first mini-challenge, but ce la vie I guess.

So, I did squats tonight, and I really felt my form was better... BUT.... I actually filmed myself doing them and it's ABYSMAL. At least, IMO. Gonna splice together my videos and throw them up on a different thread to get some feedback.

Rudyard Kipling

Archived