Forums are back in action! ×

Sick of the sidelines

Hi everybody! (Hi, Dr. Chris!)

I've been reading the blog for the past few months, but finally decided to take the plunge and sign up.

I have never been physically fit. I had asthma all through grade school and it was never properly treated, so I couldn't do any sports that involved any sort of speed or endurance. I was also painfully skinny. I got a huge amount of satisfaction from shot put, but got kicked out by the teacher because I had "no meat on my bones."

After that, I just kind of gave up on physical activity. What was the point? Every gym class focused on either weight loss (I'd fade away!) or endurance (severe pain).

I've recently started working with a 12th century historical re-enactment group. I was hired to teach country dances (think Pride and Prejudice, where people just sort of walk around in time to music and it's a "dance") and talk about clothes. Don't get me wrong- I love country dancing. I love medieval clothing. But at every event the guys all get to play with swords and maces and axes and bows and arrows. I don't.

The group leader has NO PROBLEM with a girl fighting (as long as I'm wearing a full helm to hide the fact that I'm a girl- we are a historical group) but I physically can't carry the weight of the kit, never mind fight in it. I wanna play too!

So here's my goals!

-To be able to wear a 40 lb chain mail shirt, a full helm, and carry a sword and shield without falling over

-To be able to FIGHT in said 40 lb chain mail shirt

-To be able to draw a 35 lb English longbow, and actually hit something

I've already started eating better (smoothies are fun!) and just the increase in protein an calories, with barely any extra exercise, I'm already seeing results. I have arm muscles!

These are the best reasons I've seen for gaining strength EVAR.

But one thing stood out to me: smoothies. Beware the smoothies! Especially if you're buying them from a retailer. Fruit juice is an enormous calorie sink, and one large smoothie can have more calories than an entire Paleo meal.

Unless you're using "smoothie" as a word substitue for a Jack LaLanne-style veggie drink, which a lot of people do, in which case keep on keepin' on :)

... I love you... err I mean, *ahem* Welcome to the Rebellion! If you're looking to build some muscles all over your body, then you might want to start with the Adventurers and either move towards the Rangers or the Warriors for strength-gains, both I think can help you with what you need. And I must add, that you wanting to fight as a Knight is purely awesome!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

These are the best reasons I've seen for gaining strength EVAR.

But one thing stood out to me: smoothies. Beware the smoothies! Especially if you're buying them from a retailer. Fruit juice is an enormous calorie sink, and one large smoothie can have more calories than an entire Paleo meal.

Unless you're using "smoothie" as a word substitue for a Jack LaLanne-style veggie drink, which a lot of people do, in which case keep on keepin' on :)

What I mean by smoothie is a blend of spinach, soy milk (stupid lactose intolerance!) whey powder, frozen fruit and broccoli. I make them at home myself.

Welcome to the rebellion. Speaking as an adventurer, It is a great place to start! Hope to see more of you and hear more of your awesome quests into chain mail. Makes me want to talk to my friends and get involved in Renfairs now.

DoodleDwarven Adventurer Level 2= STR-3 | DEX-2 | STA-2 | CON-3 | WIS-2 (+1) | CHA-2 (+1)

When Life pushes Me.. I Push Back Harder

Current Challenge: Doodle's finds her spirit again. (Level 2) | First challenge: Level 1: finding the canvas

Leader of The Mighty Adventuring CompanionsMyFitnessPal | fitocracy

I've recently started working with a 12th century historical re-enactment group. I was hired to teach country dances (think Pride and Prejudice, where people just sort of walk around in time to music and it's a "dance") and talk about clothes. Don't get me wrong- I love country dancing. I love medieval clothing. But at every event the guys all get to play with swords and maces and axes and bows and arrows. I don't.

No reason to hide your identity. Just say you're a member of L'Ordre del Destral, or Order of the Axe. The Order was founded by Raimund Berenguer, Count of Barcelona, in 1149. The city of Tortosa was besieged by a Moorish army. When the Count could not send troops, the women armed themselves, sallied forth and broke the siege. The members bore the title of 'cavallera' or knight, were exempt from taxes, and took precedence over the men in public functions and meetings.

More here: http://www.heraldica.org/topics/orders/wom-kn.htm

As one medievalist to another, welcome! We're a helpful bunch here, and a few of us even do the whole fighting in armor thing. Go get' em!

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Welcome. I've worn chainmail once or twice (one of my old uni friends is a self employed armourer... how cool is that?) You're going to be ridiculously fit by the time you do all that!

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Archived