Forums are back in action! ×

Resting Between Reps vs. Circuit

screenager

So I'm looking at building my own workout(s), but one thing I'm stuck with is resting between reps and doing the exercises circuit-style.

In the article, it breaks down how to rest differently depending on different reps/weights. However, I'm an ADHD exerciser and feel lazy (and like a jerk in the gym) if I do squats then stand there for 3-5 mins between sets, for example.

I think I'd rather go through the exercises circuit-style (1 set of squats, then 1 of bench press, then 1 of... repeat). If I do that, should I STILL be doing that waiting between sets? Or should I be doing all my waiting after a full round of the circuit? Or should I not rest at all since, by the time I get back to squats, for example, I hadn't been doing them for more than five minutes as it is?

I appreciate the help and apologize in advance if I, being a newb, am asking something answered elsewhere - I'm currently failing at the search function for the forum.

If you do it in a circuit, you will most likely find that you'll need to take a minute or two's rest in order to catch your breath, as it can be quite taxing, though your muscles should be good to go again. Also, if you're focusing on strength, as you get heavy you might find that it just isn't practical to move to another exercise imediately after finishing a set of squats.

And, unless you've got your own gym w/ 3 barbells, or train at a very quiet time in your gym, doing the circuit might not be possible as the other 2 bars/stations could well be in use, or you may loose them midway through.

If you're training hard, that rest period isn't lazy, it's necessary. Though 3 - 5 might be pushing it. Go again when you're ready. I aim for 1 - 3 minutes rest.

I am the same way, resting between seems like wasted time. I use to be big into power lifting and weigh lifting but have now turned my focus to overall strength endurance. I was doing circuits when I was going to the gym, I would do chest, shoulders and triceps in one workout then back, biceps and abs another (didnt do legs since I am on my feet all day at work and I run). I would start with incline DB bench 7 reps, DB shoulder press 7 reps, DB tricep overhead extension 7 reps and rest for 30-45 secs. do it 3 times and rest/set up for a min for the next three. I would have 5 brackets for both C,S,T and B,B,A.

Pain is only temporary, but quitting is forever...

I agree with Lachy about the difficulty of "circuit-ing" a barbell program. I had the school gym pretty much to myself over the winter, so I did something a bit like that. I found it harder to get all of my sets in—it eventually got annoying to have to return to an exercise over and over.

That being said, circuits are great cardio and endurance conditioning. If you're doing bodyweight work or have the opportunity to reserve some barbells for yourself on a quiet day, go ahead. You can string exercises back to back (provided you're not totally out of breath) without any problem, especially for non-related muscle groups. Just as an aside, have you thought about supersets?

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

you can think of it as endurance v strength. the reason behind waiting between sets is so your're not fatigued for your next set. this should apply to anything you consider "strength" training, where you'll be working low reps and near max weight. if you tried to do this without the rest, you'll fatigue and eventually fail (this is called "going to failure"). so generally speaking, the faster your workout, the lower your working weight will have to be (relative to your max weight).

your rest periods should only be as long as you need to not feel fatigued, whether you're going for strength or endurance. you shouldn't be standing around for 3-5 minutes unless you're lifting some serious weight, and then you won't feel bad about taking up space because you'll be unable to move for the next few minutes :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Thanks everybody! I think I'll be doing circuits with a few minutes rest when possible. I mostly workout at home using bodyweight and barbells anyway. However, I really like the idea of supersets, Corbab. It seems like a "happy medium" between the two.

Mixing it up's always good, right? Haha. Thanks all.

Archived