Forums are back in action! ×

Dubai/Greece(Santorini & Athens)

Lachy

Hey guys, next week I'm off on holiday (yay!), hitting Dubai, then on to fun and sun in Santorini and then a few days in Athens.

My friend lives in Dubai and is getting married in Santorini, so I don't have much time to stray from the wedding centric plans, but any ideas would be awesome. But I'm solo in Athens and would love to hear any suggestions you might have!

Definitely hitting up Ferrari World in Dubai :D

Dubai: was there in April for four days. If you have a free morning Arabian Adventures (a subsidiary of Emirates Airline I think) offers an early morning "desert safari". It sounds cheesy (and it was) but it was also very fun. The driver loads you into an SUV, drives you out to the Dubai Desert Reserve, tells you about various endangered fauna that are being housed there, and then takes you for some not-quite-as-eco-friendly dune bashing. This is followed up with a camel ride and breakfast. Touristy but fun.

Also, there is excellent Lebanese food to be had. The old souks were a nice way to beat the heat midday. Lots of shopping if your interests lean that way. Dubai museum has some interesting info on the history of the city too.

Dubai: was there in April for four days. If you have a free morning Arabian Adventures (a subsidiary of Emirates Airline I think) offers an early morning "desert safari". It sounds cheesy (and it was) but it was also very fun. The driver loads you into an SUV, drives you out to the Dubai Desert Reserve, tells you about various endangered fauna that are being housed there, and then takes you for some not-quite-as-eco-friendly dune bashing. This is followed up with a camel ride and breakfast. Touristy but fun.

Also, there is excellent Lebanese food to be had. The old souks were a nice way to beat the heat midday. Lots of shopping if your interests lean that way. Dubai museum has some interesting info on the history of the city too.

I don't mind a bit of cheesy tourist action, I might look into the desert safari thing, sounds fun. I'm sure I'll check out some shops along the way.

You know there's some awesome websites for these kind of recommendations? As an armchair traveller with occasional bursts of curiousity about all kinds of places, I like virtualtourist.com And of course, borrowing or buying a "Lonely Planet" guide for your travel destination (or armchair dream) is always a good idea.

Yeah, I might need to pick up the lonely planet guide for Athens, as that will be the only place I'm solo. I've found a few websites with good ideas, but when you're walking about they aren't quite so accessable.

Archived