Forums are back in action! ×

Foods to avoid in order to lose weight/Paleo.

Hey everyone!

I have a quick question, I have been doing Paleo for the last 2 weeks, and I am trying to lose weight. I know that I should try to keep my carb intake relatively low, and I have been so far but am I supposed to be staying away from Yams?

I am concerned that eating yams is going to halt my weight loss. I have been having them about 2-3 times a week? Is this too much? Should I stay away from them?

You want to avoid a lot of fruit, and a lot of nuts/seeds. You can eat both in moderation.

As far as yams, you are probably ok eating them 2-3 times a week (disclaimer: I am not a paleo expert). They are certainly lower carb than regular potatoes and they can be a nice treat...especially with cinnamon..yummmm. :)

I know many people say that counting calories on Paleo is unnecessary, but have you figured out your BMR and TDEE, and tracked which foods you eat? If not, I might suggest doing so for at least a couple of weeks to determine a baseline of what you are actually eating.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I don't think the yams are going to significantly slow down your progress. If you're concerned, cycle them in your PWO meals, with your other meals being primarily protein/fat. You'll get the glycogen-replacement benefits (and the tastiness), and mitigate some of the insulin spike/fat storage risks associated with them. I do this to a certain extent, but even when I don't, starchy carbs aren't a big problem.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

You want to avoid a lot of fruit, and a lot of nuts/seeds. You can eat both in moderation.

As far as yams, you are probably ok eating them 2-3 times a week (disclaimer: I am not a paleo expert). They are certainly lower carb than regular potatoes and they can be a nice treat...especially with cinnamon..yummmm. :)

I know many people say that counting calories on Paleo is unnecessary, but have you figured out your BMR and TDEE, and tracked which foods you eat? If not, I might suggest doing so for at least a couple of weeks to determine a baseline of what you are actually eating.

Thanks for the response, I do limit my fruit intake. In fact, I have cut out almost all fruit with the exception of a few cherries, and some raspberries when I feel like I am "craving" sugar. However, I only have very small servings.

I don't have a lot of nuts a lot, the only thing I really have in unsalted, raw sunflower seeds and I always measure the amount when I add it to me salad. I always have less then 1/4 cup and this is only 1-2 times per week.

You'd have to eat a whole lot of yams for them to prevent you from losing weight (assuming that you would be in a position to lose weight without them). Focus on meats and veggies. Fill in the gaps with fruit and tubers (yams in this case). Everything else is up to you to figure out if it works for you and how to fit it into your diet.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Archived