Forums are back in action! ×

My NikeFuel Band review

Well I have had the Nikefuel band for about two weeks now and it is time for my official review and verdict.

Out of Box/Packaging: Well put together and was easy to install and remove addition links/clips to resize the band. I had initially had an issue installing and updating the newest firmware on it but that was easily fixed with a reboot and retry. (note Nike support is useless if you do need support).

Size and Feel: The band is much bigger than initially expected and very rigid. It is close to double the width of my live strong band (seriously I still wear one) and about 3 times as thick. The band is thicker than my watches and it doesn’t bend or move so I worry about it banging it up or breaking even thought it does seem really sturdy and has a decent warranty.

Functionality: I like it but at the same time I don’t and here is why, you gain fuel by moving your arm/hand around. So my 20 minutes of shooting around and playing basketball or my 1 hour walk is worth more fuel points than a heavy day of lifting at cross fit. We did a day pushups, pull-ups and dead-lifts and it was brutal but my walk with my GF was worth more points in the end. With that said it has forces me to be more active and that part I love. I set my goal to 4k points a day and I honestly get upset if I don’t hit it. I can think of a few times I went for a run simply because I was close to hitting my goal. Like last night I sat down to play a game of League of Legends and looked at the band and saw I wasn’t close to my goal yet so I decide to go play basketball instead. It has been a good motivator to get more active, even if some days at cross fit aren’t worth very much (grumble grumble).

Battery Life: while the box says it can go 3 days without charge I have gone at least 4 days and never felt like OMG it is about to die.

Other Notes: The water resistant feature is extremely nice. You can’t swim with it but you can take it in the shower or walk out in the rain with it (I live in Portland, Oregon so it happens a lot) and not worry about it at all. No android app yet so I currently have to sync my fuel band when I plug it into my computer, which is fine cause that is how it is charged and it has a decent display on it.

Overall: I am extremely happy with my band it has helped to motivate me from time to time as I am a goal orientated person. In the coming weeks I have a few friends how will be getting the band and I know for a fact it will turn into who can get more points than the other (I am competitive what can I say).

If you like the stationary bike this is not the product for you :P

I had one when I was deployed. I was so excited to get it then realized the pitfall of having one of these things. It's exactly as you mentioned, it works off arm movement. So for me I was doing kettlebell swings and it would register, but I could be on the ground puking with a 190 heart beat and it would barely act as if I was walking. It was a pretty unique thing to have and I was hoping they would revamp that but they didn't. It makes for a nice watch but I didn't use it after the first week and ended up selling it for half of what I bought it for.

I was looking into this last night, so pretty well timed. I don't know that I need (seems like a strong word entirely) it but it looks cool. I think I had heard about it at one point but hadnt seen one till I was in the Apple store yesterday. Honestly I expect I would be more worried about it tracking steps and calories than anything else

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

I was looking into this last night, so pretty well timed. I don't know that I need (seems like a strong word entirely) it but it looks cool. I think I had heard about it at one point but hadnt seen one till I was in the Apple store yesterday. Honestly I expect I would be more worried about it tracking steps and calories than anything else

Actually it doesn't track steps OR Calories. It uses "Nike Fuel" points that add up depending on how much movement the band senses. So you could twirl your arm around for 10 minutes and probably max out your goal for the day.

To be honest I'm looking more towards the fitbit Flex or jawbone offerings as they're more accurate(also looking to get a Aria wifi scale anyway)

Stop being Ordinary and start being Legend..... Wait for it ..... Day!!!

Archived