Forums are back in action! ×

Personal Woot!

I recently joined a Masonic Lodge in my area. My father has been active in this Lodge for many years, and so I joined up to spend some more time with him and to help out with their charitable activities.

There are three degrees in Freemasonry: Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, and Master Mason. Years ago, each candidate was expected to memorize and recite a lengthy series of questions and answers before moving on to the next degree. The requirement has been relaxed to make it easier to become a Master Mason, but people are encouraged to do the work. The process is complicated by the fact that the text is encoded, and that you are not allowed to write out the passages in cleartext. You have to work with a coach, who tells you what each passage says and helps you memorize it. There's an old version available here: http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/degreesoffreemasonry/Entered_Apprentice_Examination.htm

(Don't try to use this in an actual Lodge; they'll throw you out.)

Since I'm stubborn and something of a traditionalist in these things, I elected to wait until I had the the Entered Apprentice Candidate's Examination memorized. It took me three months.

Last night, I recited the whole thing before the lodge. It wasn't quite perfect, but it was well received. The best part was the round of applause for my Dad, for having brought me into the Lodge and encouraging me to stick with this crazy idea of mine.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Archived