Forums are back in action! ×

Recovery time?

Piccolojones

So Wednesday I went to the gym and worked with freeweights for the first time in years. I've been following the Angry Birds Workout routine fairly religiously for the past month or so, so I figured that I'd do okay swapping in some freeweight work instead of my normal workout. On the day of my workout, I felt fine, even a little better than after my normal workouts, and the next day (Thursday) I had a comparable amount of soreness and muscle fatigue. However, on Friday and even Saturday, I was much more sore than I normally am, and my muscles were still very fatigued... to the point where I could only do a couple sets of pull ups instead of three or four sets.

I haven't changed anything in my diet and I got a few hours less sleep across Thursday and Friday nights. Angry Birds has me doing Jump Squats, Pushups, Pull ups, and Planks. My freeweight experience was DB Bench press, Pull ups (I love doing them and can't imagine ever leaving them :P), and BB Squats, along with a couple different ab exercises (plank, bicycle crunches) and stretching.

My question is, is this extended recovery time normal when switching from bodyweight to free weight exercises?

Piccolojones, a level Half-Elven Warrior 

STR- 5.25 | DEX- 2 | STA- 1 | CON- 2.75 | WIS- 4.75 | CHA 7

Join the HEROES vs. Villains PVP!! FOR NARNIA AND FOR ASLAN!

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: The Return

Benching Bodyweight for 5 Reps: 

Aug 8: 110/143 lbs | Aug 13: 115/140 | Aug 20: 120/142 | Sep 8: 135/144 | Oct 14: 140/143 | Oct 23: 145/143!!!

101.3%
101.3%

Depends how hard you went since it was your first time back? You may have over done it. I know I did when I first started with free weights.

DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is going to happen when you first start, and this usually lasts 1-2ish days. DOMS will eventually subside as you continue training.

Did you warm up properly before lifting heavy? Did you make sure to stretch and cool down properly after the workout? Hydrate properly?

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Archived