Forums are back in action! ×

Lift all the (heavy)things!

Hello, I am a 28 y.o. husband, computer engineer, gamer(from paper to electrons), nerd and freemason who is looking to lift the (very) heavy stuff and get back to my former size. Sadly a sedentary job along with too many beers on the weekends, all gaming and no exercise had taken me from 160lbs to 190. Last year I started working out and got down to 170 but I did not change my diet, fell back into old habits and got back up to 180.

Well, I've been lurking around for the past month (around the time I went paleo) and for the past few weeks I have been hitting the free weights 3x a week (Mon: Chest & Back, Wed: Arms & Shoulders; Friday Legs; Thursday & Saturday: cardio things. Tuesdays is is my raiding / relax night and Sunday I'm usually entertaining guests.

Things I've accomplished: Down 1% body fat so far, 2 weeks of consistent workouts, stopped drinking more than 1-2 beers a week (if at all) and stopped wasting money every morning (sugar free redbulls are the devils work, I tell you)

My current goals: Continue losing weight, keep lifting heavier stuff than the week before, read a new book every 2-3 weeks and give my yard a long overdue overhaul.

I figured now would be a good time to get myself on-board and get ready for a 6 week challenge.

Hey caution! I definitely feel you on the Red Bulls - I'm gonna have trouble with those when I start school again. And nothing like a cold beer after a 12-hour day at the lab!

Good luck with everything - let me know if you need book recommendations! :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

Welcome to the community caution :) I can relate to the beer situation, I'm going to have to start cutting back from next month as well :/ They will be sadly missed.

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Barmacral: Oh I play the usuals: D&D, Warhammer, CoC etc...

Coonskee: Yeah Redbulls are addicting and expensive and the hardest thing that I've had to kick (I quit smoking years 8 years ago and it feels worse than that)! Ah cold, bitter, refreshing beer... especially when they are your own homemade brews :(. Guess my friends get to enjoy more of them because making them is almost as much fun as drinking them but I only have so much space to store them. I just signed up for a reading course from my lodge that spans 80 books o.O. I may have to read a few fictional books every now and then to keep myself going.

Hello, I am a 28 y.o. husband, computer engineer, gamer(from paper to electrons), nerd and freemason who is looking to lift the (very) heavy stuff and get back to my former size. Sadly a sedentary job along with too many beers on the weekends, all gaming and no exercise had taken me from 160lbs to 190. Last year I started working out and got down to 170 but I did not change my diet, fell back into old habits and got back up to 180.

Well, I've been lurking around for the past month (around the time I went paleo) and for the past few weeks I have been hitting the free weights 3x a week (Mon: Chest & Back, Wed: Arms & Shoulders; Friday Legs; Thursday & Saturday: cardio things. Tuesdays is is my raiding / relax night and Sunday I'm usually entertaining guests.

Things I've accomplished: Down 1% body fat so far, 2 weeks of consistent workouts, stopped drinking more than 1-2 beers a week (if at all) and stopped wasting money every morning (sugar free redbulls are the devils work, I tell you)

My current goals: Continue losing weight, keep lifting heavier stuff than the week before, read a new book every 2-3 weeks and give my yard a long overdue overhaul.

I figured now would be a good time to get myself on-board and get ready for a 6 week challenge.

How's the lifting coming?

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

I also have the problem of not having a spotter, go check out the little LFG page, you might be able to find someone to join you there. Unfortunately there aren't too many South Africans on the site :/

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Gotta start somewhere, right? I was in a similar boat about 6 or so months ago. What does your program look like? (Feel free to ignore me if this bores you; I like talking about lifting the way you seem to like talking about brewing).

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Yesterday I did chest which was: Barbell bench press, chin-ups, incline dumbbell press, pull-ups, incline dumbbell flyes * 3.

Last Wednesday was arms & shoulders : dumbbell shoulder press, hammer curl, dips, dumbbell shoulder press, bicep curls, dumbbell triceps extension, dumbbell side lateral raise, preacher curl, lying dumbbell triceps extension *2.

Last Friday was legs & back: Deadlift, pull-up, Squats, chin-up, dumbbell calf raise * 3. (I did a few extra deadlifts because I wasn't gassed).

I need a lot of work getting a better program together :P

Caution, I'm all about fiction, so drop me a line if you need any recommendations. :P (Note: I hate Twilight with every fibre of my being, in case you're worried that I'll suggest that just cause I'm a girl.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

Ha, thanks for the warning! I recommended The Chronicles of Amber series by Zelazny to a girl at work who said she liked fantasy/sci-fi, she then told me I should read the twilight series, I just smiled and said, "Yeah... maybe...". But for the record, I don't think that all girls read those books. As a matter of fact, I bet my wife would hit me with the book if I brought it home.

Hey, Caution-with-an-avatar-that-reminds-me-of-Red-Skull-from-Captain-America! :P

Here's something that came to mind after reading your posts. Maybe it might work and maybe it won't but...instead of doing

Mon: Chest & Back, Wed: Arms & Shoulders; Friday Legs; Thursday & Saturday: cardio things
and
Yesterday I did chest which was: Barbell bench press, chin-ups, incline dumbbell press, pull-ups, incline dumbbell flyes * 3.

Last Wednesday was arms & shoulders : dumbbell shoulder press, hammer curl, dips, dumbbell shoulder press, bicep curls, dumbbell triceps extension, dumbbell side lateral raise, preacher curl, lying dumbbell triceps extension *2.

Last Friday was legs & back: Deadlift, pull-up, Squats, chin-up, dumbbell calf raise * 3.

have you thought of pulling a few of the exercises from each day to do a full-body workout on Mon-Wed-Fri? If you're in a plateau, this might shock your system into getting off of it. Steve does something like that. He's mentioned it in a few blog posts, like this one (second big section, first post I found but not exactly the one I was looking for). He also goes into more detail for building a routine here, if that helps.

Good luck, keep us updated!

P.S. Warriors looks like a good fit for you, if you'd like to join one of the guilds.

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Speaking of guilds, how does one go about it (joining, race, class, stat points, etc... I'm a huge D&D nerd and love the concept!)? I want to do the next Warriors challenge, when it pops up.

Oh, and the image is of Cthulhu. It was a label I made for one of my brews last year.

Heya Caution, welcome to the rebellion!

Lots of info on the classes along with the challeges can be found here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?13200-NEW-CHALLENGE-June-18-July-30th!

Archived