Forums are back in action! ×

Help me not mess up my exercise routine, please?

Caitriona

Guys, I think I need some help figuring out how to continue from where I am. Here’s some background:

Since the beginning of May, I’ve lost 20lbs, going from 145 to 125, at 5’6â€. I’ve always had a very high body fat percentage, carrying it all in my midsection. Now at 125 (which sounds so low!), I pretty much look exactly like the smaller version of the body shape I used to be. No surprises there.

I joined NF last week, and somehow got it in my head that it’s time to work on strength, but I think I realize now that I need to keep working on losing this stubborn belly fat. I’m not exaggerating about it, either… it’s as if my midsection belongs to a completely different body than the rest of me. Anyway, this wasn’t supposed to be a pity party. My questions are these:

1. Should I just be focused on cutting calories and exercising enough to avoid muscle loss?

2. What kind of exercise would be best for this?

3. Is fat loss necessarily weight loss?

Honestly, I’m not thrilled about the prospect of losing more weight, since I’m already at the lowest I’ve ever been in my adult life. But the fat needs to go. Right now I enjoy walking (fast), jogging, the beginner body weight circuit, and I just joined a gym. As far as cardio goes, should I be focusing on shorter bursts of high-intensity workouts? I also considered starting with some free weights – is it too early for this?

I’m kind of bummed out… I was all psyched to start getting stronger, but it looks like I’m still stuck at fat loss. I totally understand that I can’t lose fat and build muscle mass, but if you guys could help me put together a routine that allowed me to work on fat loss while also getting stronger/fitter and building endurance, I would be forever grateful!

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

1. Focus on strength training and cleaning up your diet.

2. Full body compound movements. Squats, deadlifts, press, pullups, chin ups, bench are good ones (Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 programs for a good beginner program)

3. I don't under stand? If you lost fat then you lost weight. *...confused..*

As for cardio, sprints and intervals are great. Do them. Look up Tabata sprints for a killer workout.

It is never too early for free weights. Never.

Also, eat right, ditch the scale, and focus more on how you feel instead of what you look like for now. For now I say because people tend to get discouraged by not seeing results. IT'll take a bit of time but change will happen. Take a picture now, stash it away, then make the changes and look at the picture in like 6 weeks.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Thanks for the advice! I got the diet part down pretty well, but all those work-out tips are just what I needed. Will be looking up those programs shortly. As far as sprints and intervals are concerned, would be equivalent on a stationary bike work? I'm pretty new to running and have to push myself pretty hard to even keep a steady jog for a couple of miles. =D

I don't under stand? If you lost fat then you lost weight. *...confused..*

HAHAHAHAHA I'm an idiot. Sorry, it's late, I was frustrated when I wrote this, and I briefly forgot the laws of physics. Or biology. Or MATH.

IT'll take a bit of time but change will happen.

Thanks for the encouragement! If I feel like I'm on the right track with what I"m doing, I promise to be patient. =)

Take a picture now, stash it away, then make the changes and look at the picture in like 6 weeks.

Did you strategically say 6 weeks so I'd get motivated to do this for my first 6 week challenge? Hehe.

Level 1

First, totally agree with bigm.

Second, you could do it on a stationary bike, but it's not the same. If you can stomach the heat, I say go outside. Also, if you live near a hill, consider sprinting uphill. It's harder, but if you trip and fall you're less likely to get hurt than if you had built up some speed first.

Harder+Safer=Win

Hi Caitrona, first off congrats on losing the 20 lbs! Way to go and second if you really want to lose that last bit of stubborn belly fat I would highly recommend following a system called Final Phase Fat loss by John Romaniello. He is one of the best trainers in the business and has a program specifically for your needs check his site out at Romanfitnesssystems.com He lays it all out for you and if your nutrition is right which he helps you with too then you'll not only lose the fat but gain some muscle too. Hope you reach your goals.

Personally, I said screw the fat loss until I get stronger. I've enjoyed working out much more.

Stubborn belly fat for most people is just the last place they lose it. If you do continue trying to lose, ditch the scale and focus on how you look or even better take body fat % measurements. Those are much better indicators of fitness.

1+2: high intensity interval training while eating at or just below maintenance calories has shown a lot of people great results. Sprints are good, interval training with weights is better.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Congrats on your weight loss! For what it's worth, I, too, have stubborn belly fat. However, ever since I started strength training (first bodyweight exercises, then free weights) at the end of March, my body composition has shifted radically, although my weight has stayed about the same, which tells me I've lost fat and gained muscle. I went from wearing an XXL in fitted girl shirts, XL in t-shirts, and 22 in pants to an XL in fitted shirts, L and sometimes a stretchy M in t-shirts, and 20 in pants. Everyone at work (I work at a school, so they haven't seen me for a couple of months) keeps asking if I lost weight, but the weight stayed the same. I did not count calories. I ate when I was hungry, and I had dessert sometimes. I did cut out most bread/grain products (exceptions for homemade bread and that one really awesome local pizza place. And corn tortilla chips). Obviously, everyone's different, but you CAN get rid of fat and gain muscle without losing weight. If you go the strength training route, be sure to eat lots of protein so your body has something to build that strength with.

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Well, if you want to do stationary bike for your cardio, then do it. Obviously, running is king, but if you don't enjoy it, you probably won't stick with it. I personally HATE distance running, but the Army MAKES me do it. I've coached folks with broken knees that couldn't run, so yes intervals can be done on the bike. How you do it is up to you. You can increase the resistance or your pace. I personally prefer pace. Cruise for 5 mins to warm up, take off like Lance Armstrong for 30 secs, then cruise for 1 minute. If you need to cruise for 2 minutes at first, that's fine, but be honest with yourself. Alternate between racing speed and easy ride for about 20 minutes and you'll get the equivalent of a good sprint workout.

And no, fat loss isn't necessarily weight loss. Muscle weighs more than fat. Just check out spezzy for a perfect example. Once you get to a certain point, the scale is useless.

Sounds like you're already on the right track, especially with the Body Weight circuits. Keep that up. Just thought I'd give you another weapon in your arsenal.

Scorpion1674
Human Ranger - Level 1
STR: 8 DEX: 3 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 4 CHA: 2
"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Congrats on your weight loss! For what it's worth, I, too, have stubborn belly fat. However, ever since I started strength training (first bodyweight exercises, then free weights) at the end of March, my body composition has shifted radically, although my weight has stayed about the same, which tells me I've lost fat and gained muscle. I went from wearing an XXL in fitted girl shirts, XL in t-shirts, and 22 in pants to an XL in fitted shirts, L and sometimes a stretchy M in t-shirts, and 20 in pants. Everyone at work (I work at a school, so they haven't seen me for a couple of months) keeps asking if I lost weight, but the weight stayed the same. I did not count calories. I ate when I was hungry, and I had dessert sometimes. I did cut out most bread/grain products (exceptions for homemade bread and that one really awesome local pizza place. And corn tortilla chips). Obviously, everyone's different, but you CAN get rid of fat and gain muscle without losing weight. If you go the strength training route, be sure to eat lots of protein so your body has something to build that strength with.

I agree with this. While the human body is not good at gaining weight (muscle) AND losing weight (fat) at the same time, it is certainly possible, albeit it takes much longer to see results (the traditional cutting-bulking cycle is more efficient - first lose fat, then gain muscle). An exception to this is a situation where an overfat, resistance training-naive individual starts resistance training and tries to lose weight simultaneously. Have you ever done weight training to any significant degree before?

Either way, since you don't want your body weight to change much, I'd focus on eating around maintenance calorie levels coupled with resistance training. I've seen good results personally doing this (in the last 6 weeks) - my weight hasn't dropped but I do have more muscle definition and less...jiggle :)

CoreyD makes a good point, too - measuring body fat (along with body weight) can give you a good idea if you're heading in the right direction. For example, my body weight hasn't changed from 230 lbs, but my body fat % has dropped by 1.5% (from 20% to 18.5%). So, 6 weeks ago (230 lbs @ 20% bf) I was carrying around 46 lbs of fat and 184 lbs of lean body mass (everything that's not fat). Now (230 lbs @ 18% bf), I'm sitting at 42.5 lbs of fat and 187.5 lbs of lean body mass. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but it does make a difference in appearance (although not a huge difference...I still have at least one or 2 more 6 week challenges to go before I get to where I want to be :))

In terms of what exercise is best...I think that depends primarily on what you like. I hate interval training, so that's not a good option for me. I lift as heavy as I can 3x week and then do 2x week of steady state cardio (bike ride to and from work = 4 hours of cycling per week). If weights are your thing (or you just want to try them), go for it! I agree with bigm - it's never too early to start using free weights :) They are a much better option than machines for most people.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted on your plans and progress!!! We love a good success story :)

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

I'll say this about all the interval talk...

Intervals are overrated. Yes there is a small increase in EPOC and it should lead to good increases in your aerobic and anaerobic endurance, but at the same time they are very hard on your body compared to steady state or moderately varied cardio, and you can't do them all the time. Intervals should be treated as if they were a strength training leg day.

There are pros and cons, and while they are definitely a useful tool in your arsenal, doing only intervals for cardio is not wise.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Guys, you’re all seriously the best. Thank you so much for your advice and encrouragement. I’ll try to repay it by becoming an awesome success story that you helped shape. =)

Sphynx – I can TOTALLY stomach the heat! =D In fact, I’m out walking/jogging almost every day. But I just started running a few months ago, and I’m just not at sprinting level… I tried it a couple of times, and even after a good warm-up I pulled a calf muscle and just didn’t feel good. It’s definitely something I want to work towards, but for a quick interval fix, I’ll probably start with the bike, since I can do 20-30 minutes at a good intensity that leaves me drenched in sweat.

Sunrunner – Thanks! =) I’ll totally check out that website!

CoreyD, Librarian and Horsedog – Good to hear accounts of losing fat without dropping weight! I light focus on fat loss primarily for another couple of pounds and gradually switch to working on strength.

Scorpion1674 – Funny, I think I enjoy increasing resistance more, not sure why. =) And I’m absolutely in love with Spezzy’s story. But didn’t she lose all the weight first and then gain all the muscle? And thanks for the tips and the encouragement!

Waldo – Thanks for the reminder. =) I’m definitely not planning on doing only interval. I’ll probably do a half hour of interval on the bike in the gym about 3 times a week, but I also go for long fast walks almost every day and slow-is steady jogs a few times a week. That should cover me for some healthy cardio, right? Oh, question: I don’t do the running and the intervals on the same day, but should I not even be doing them on consecutive days? Just from how I feel, I figured the muscle groups are different enough… the bike gives me a burn in my thighs, the running in my calves. Is this bad? Should I be spacing them out more?

Question about diet: I’m currently eating 1400-1800 cals, depending on how much I work out that day, and I’ve comfortably held 125-126lbs for a month now. I’m relying on crazy calorie counting less and less, and I’ve been weighing myself less, too (a few times a week as opposed to every day). After reading all your advice, I think I want to focus on losing another couple of pounds before inching my way up to eating maintenance. I’m worried that I’ve been eating below maintenance for so long now that my body will want to store rather than use all that stuff. Is that a reasonable worry? I don’t even know. I figure if I keep eating the way I have been and do cardio, intervals, body circuits, and start lifting (slow and low, heh), I should lose some fat weight while retaining and strengthening my existing muscle. Is this correct?

Level 1

Question about diet: I’m currently eating 1400-1800 cals, depending on how much I work out that day, and I’ve comfortably held 125-126lbs for a month now. I’m relying on crazy calorie counting less and less, and I’ve been weighing myself less, too (a few times a week as opposed to every day). After reading all your advice, I think I want to focus on losing another couple of pounds before inching my way up to eating maintenance. I’m worried that I’ve been eating below maintenance for so long now that my body will want to store rather than use all that stuff. Is that a reasonable worry? I don’t even know. I figure if I keep eating the way I have been and do cardio, intervals, body circuits, and start lifting (slow and low, heh), I should lose some fat weight while retaining and strengthening my existing muscle. Is this correct?

If your weight is holding steady, sounds like you're already eating pretty close to maintenance (taking into account your activity level, probably around 1900 or so, give or take). I don't know if I'd change my diet too much (beyond ensuring you're getting enough protein)...just add the resistance training and you will get stronger, build a wee bit of muscle, and lose some fat :)

If your weight is holding steady, sounds like you're already eating pretty close to maintenance (taking into account your activity level, probably around 1900 or so, give or take).

Huh, I guess you're right! Sometimes it takes someone else pointing it out for me to see the obvious, heh. Maybe I'm underestimating my calorie burn? According to several tracking/estimating sites/devices, I should be burning around 2200 cals on a day that isn't even super active for me (I get 10.000 steps in on most days). At 1400 I'm definitely eating at a deficit, and anything I eat on top of that is only eating back some (never all) of my exercise calories. What's going on here? Am I plateauing? Have I altered my metabolism? Or is it way too easy to overestimate ones calorie burn?

And I'm definitely on top of getting enough protein. =) I try never to have a meal (or even a snack) that's too low in protein. Definitely helps, I never feel starved!

Level 1

According to several tracking/estimating sites/devices, I should be burning around 2200 cals on a day that isn't even super active for me (I get 10.000 steps in on most days). At 1400 I'm definitely eating at a deficit, and anything I eat on top of that is only eating back some (never all) of my exercise calories. What's going on here? Am I plateauing? Have I altered my metabolism? Or is it way too easy to overestimate ones calorie burn?

Yes, it's very very easy to either overestimate or improperly calculate calories expended. Your estimate for your average daily expenditure is 2200? That's not an unreasonable estimate for an active person of your height/weight...but if you're eating 1400-1800 per day still and your weight hasn't budged in a month, then somewhere along the line, the estimates or calculations are off. Maybe you've underestimated/calculated your caloric intake?

Yes, I'd agree that 1400 is definitely eating at a deficit...because your BMR is likely around 1400 (give or take, depending on your age, body fat, and muscle mass). You'd burn around that much (1400) in 24 hours even if you never got out of bed :)

It sounds like your deficit is too big. Once near your goal wt you should have no more deficit than 500 cal/day (incl exercise calories) otherwise you can expect to plateau. Even that can be too big.

If you've been dieting a while, a better way to become not skinny fat is to gain at a very slow rate for a while. You will gain mostly muscle and could lose a little fat as well. Even if you don't lose any fat, increasing your muscle mass will decrease your BF%. The positive side of this is that your body and metabolism will love this approach, when/if you do switch gears to cut that last little bit of fat off, it will be a good bit easier to do, since you won't be dealing with "I've been dieting a long time" metabolism and will have more energy hungry muscle.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

It sounds like your deficit is too big. Once near your goal wt you should have no more deficit than 500 cal/day (incl exercise calories) otherwise you can expect to plateau. Even that can be too big.

If you've been dieting a while, a better way to become not skinny fat is to gain at a very slow rate for a while. You will gain mostly muscle and could lose a little fat as well. Even if you don't lose any fat, increasing your muscle mass will decrease your BF%. The positive side of this is that your body and metabolism will love this approach, when/if you do switch gears to cut that last little bit of fat off, it will be a good bit easier to do, since you won't be dealing with "I've been dieting a long time" metabolism and will have more energy hungry muscle.

I agree, especially if you are sure your caloric intake numbers are accurate.

Haha, now I don't know if I'm over- or underestimating. =D I'm pretty sure I'm correct with my caloric intake (as an obsessive weigher of food). Horsedog, you're spot on about my BMR. Calculators tell me it's in the 1360s. Waldo, I think I really am suffering from post-dieting metabolism. However, I wish this were a matter of losing the last little bit of fat. There's quite a bit left to lose. I promise I'm not one of those women who pinch a tiny amount of belly skin to show you how fat they are. I know I'm not fat, but we're talking rolls here. Which you'd never know if you saw me in strategically flowy shirts. =D I'm absolutely happy to take it very slow, since I want my skin to tighten up as well as possible (and I hear slow is the way to go for that). Maybe once I see some results (end of 6-week challenge maybe?), I'll have the guts (HAHA) to post some before pictures so you can see what I mean.

I just ordered a cheap body fat caliper on Amazon. I'm pretty sure I'm hovering around 30%, which would put me close to skinny obese. Again, not a pity party. Just info. I'm feelin' good about being on the road to a better body. =)

Level 1

Looking at your previous posts, are you saying you're burning 2200 from exercise alone or that your TDEE is 2200? I'm going to assume it's TDEE...because if it's just exercise well I weigh more than twice what you do and I'd have to do like 3.5-4 hours of solid exercise to hit those numbers.

Another thing to point out is props to you for being willing to take it slow. That is a great decision.

A quick blurb about my story that might help you. I have no problems cutting weight. I used to compete in weight class events, so give me 48 hours and I can drop 30-40 lbs without much trouble. The problem with that is I applied that paradigm to my long term weight loss efforts...I was very successful initially (I lost 70 lbs in 3 months and then, more recently, 60 lbs in 6 months) but ended up gaining all of the weight right back. I'm on a much more gradual plan now, and am feeling MUCH better about my progress. It's a lot slower, but this time around I feel like I'm actually out performing my results (i.e. when I lost 70 pounds before, I only looked like I lost maybe 50. This time I've lost 10 pounds but look like I lost 20). This is horribly anecdotal, but it's the best I've got beyond other links like Lyle's.

1) Pick a sensible diet. It doesn't really matter which one, but find something you can stick with long term and feel happy and healthy on. You may need to tweak it to get the results you're looking for, but take your time and keep your goals gradual and you should be ok.

2) Resistance training. Bodyweight, barbell, whatever. Just pick a routine that gives you enough recovery time and track your progress. Try to do a bit better every time you go in. My personal favorite is barbell work, but I'm biased.

3) Cardio. Just do it. It's good for you. Doesn't have to be crazy hill sprints, find something you like...and do that. Track your progress and try to do better every time. I tend to alternate between easy steady state stuff like the stationary bike or elliptical where I can setup my tablet and watch a movie and interval training (boxing and kick boxing drills mostly, but some horribly-horrible-since-I-suck-at-it sprint work too). Again that's what I enjoy doing.

4) Get enough sleep. My biggest weakness, but also very important.

Do some research and find something that makes sense to you. Give it an honest shot and assess your progress as objectively as possible. If it works, keep doing it until it stops working. If not, move onto something else. You have the time, try different things out and see how you like them. Make sure you give it an honest chance though. If you do or don't weigh daily that's fine, but don't sweat short term gains and let it take your eyes off the long term prize.

Good luck.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Looking at your previous posts, are you saying you're burning 2200 from exercise alone or that your TDEE is 2200? I'm going to assume it's TDEE...because if it's just exercise well I weigh more than twice what you do and I'd have to do like 3.5-4 hours of solid exercise to hit those numbers.

Haha, sorry for the confusion. That's absolutely my TDEE. I don't think I could exercise for 2200 if I tried. Would pass out first. =D

Yeah, your story is the kind of stuff that I love to hear when I'm trying hard to take it slow. =) At this point I have so little weight to lose (but SO much work to do on my body), that I'm actually pretty motivated to put in lots of work for slow but steady results. For the past few years I've been yoyo-ing 10lbs up and down, so being down 20lbs and being able to maintain it feels pretty awesome already. I don't care if it takes me a month to lose the next pound, as long as I manage to lose fat and not muscle. If I can make my muscles work better and improve my endurance at the same time, awesome!

I'll keep you guys posted about how it goes. I have a workout routine advising type appointment at the gym tomorrow, and if I don't chicken out, I'll mention weights.

OH, I knew there was one more thing! Working out in the morning on an empty stomach: how do you feel about that? I know some people say it helps with fat loss, and others say it doesn't make a big difference. Opinions for my situation?

Level 1

First of all, yes! You are right! It is definitely time for strength training!

I'm pretty close to you in height/weight (5'4" 125 lbs), and I agree that you probably don't want to lose much more, if any, weight. I still feel tiny at this size. It's about getting stronger and building muscle. You may get heavier, and that's cool. But you'll make your metabolism more efficient, and slowly but surely your body composition will change.

OH, I knew there was one more thing! Working out in the morning on an empty stomach: how do you feel about that? I know some people say it helps with fat loss, and others say it doesn't make a big difference. Opinions for my situation?

Anecdotally, for me, working out before breakfast wasn't great. I found it hard to push myself during workouts when my belly was grumbling. Some days I felt really weak and sluggish. Endurance runs were the worst. Some days I was fine, but by the end of the session, I always felt terrible and raging hungry. My performance and body composition didn't change much at all during that time. I was just really tired. When I switched to lighter (and slightly later) morning workouts and doing the hard stuff on my own after school, I got a lot faster, a little stronger, didn't measurably gain weight or lose fat, but I look a lot leaner than before.

I know some people and some programs swear by this (intermittent fasting-type diets, I think, is one of those) and people have had good results. As with any dietary "system", this can work for some and less well for others. I don't like lifting weights with no fuel (as I lift in the morning, so that would be about 10 hours after last eating)...but I also don't like lifting after a big meal. I have a banana, a small glass (250 mL) of skim milk, and a hard-boiled egg before lifting (about 275 cals or so) and that suits me fine :).

If you're interested, here are some links:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-questions-answers/#axzz21jWQPdlL

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

These are just a couple of articles - but each site has quite a few more on fasting and fasted training.

Kristen and Horsedog, I totally get what you guys are saying about not being able to hit maximum workout power on an empty stomach. I think what I'm gonna try is doing my 30-60 minute walks (fast, at about 4mph) first thing in the morning before eating. That's nice and gentle exercise that won't kill me. And it's supposed to be pretty good or weight loss, right? Which, at this point I don't even care... I just like walking. =)

So guys, I went to the gym appointment, and the guy showed me how to work some free weight and some machines. I told him I was really interested in free weights, and he agreed that they're better for you, but he wanted to give me some machine options too, saying that most people prefer starting on those since they're easier to handle. I actually like that the free weights require better balance and more attention to form, since I have a lot of core work to do. The guy seemed generally very friendly, helpful, and not a know-it-all... I think I just wasn't very assertive about where I want to go with my workouts. Here's what I'm starting out with:

standing shoulder press 2x15 10lbs

dumbbell side raise 2x15 5lbs

dumbbell bicep curl 2x15 10lbs

standing tricep extension 2x15 7lbs

chest press 2x15 20lbs

shoulder press 2x15 10lbs

lat pull down 2x15 50lbs

back row 2x15 30 lbs (I think I might go to 50 on this one too, since it felt somewhat easy)

back extension 2x15

ab bench 2x15

(We focused on upper body since I walk, run, and do intervals on the bike in the gym, so my legs are getting a decent workout.)

How does that sound for what I'm trying to achieve? I get one more session with the trainer (I can schedule it whenever, so I might try this workout for a few weeks), and I'd love some advice on how to best modify this for my goals. I really would like to get into heavier lifting (everyone keeps saying fewer reps of heavier weights are better for you, plus that sounds fun), but I feel like a total n00b. Is lifting something I need to work up to, or do I just start?

Level 1

Archived