Forums are back in action! ×

Pedometer Calibration!

Oogiem

I'm doing the walk to Mordor, and so I dug out the pedometer we own and have been testing it. It has a steps, calories, km and miles mode. I've been cross checking it with my iPad mapping program and guess what - The pedometer is HORRIBLY out of range.

I did a few tests where I was counting steps, and it's within 1-2% of accurate for steps but the distance is off by at least double. For example, according to it I did 2.5 miles of walking this afternoon back and forth dealing with the vet and the 2 horses. But when I measured the actual distance even with the back and forth I did I got between 1.2 and 1.4 miles or roughy half what the pedometer indicated.

Now this is a freeby pedometer that is labeled as Kelloggs Special K (which is a bit ironic given I never eat that cereal at all and now almost never eat cereal ;) ) and I suspect it's using a stride length averaged from a male not a short female but still... off by that much?

So, if you are using a pedometer to track your mileage, might want to do a verification for your device. I would bet that I'm not the only one with an inaccurate measuring tool.

PS

I also verified my iPad app with 2 other sources to verify those figures, 1 was google maps and the other was a different iPad app and both were basically the same, given my own inaccuracies with exact starting points.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I'd like to know how to actually calibrate these things. I have a feeling that my iphone running app overestimates my run distances by about 10%. You'd basically need somewhere where the distance is measured exactly and move over it, but I don't know where to find something like that. A high school track would be my best bet, but not sure how accurate they are either.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I was so frustrated last evening with trying to calbrate mine. Went on a marked 2 mile trail-my pedometer said 1.75. Calbirated it and walked back, and it didn't count half my steps, it said I walked 1.33 miles:sulkiness: I may give up on it and just track with google maps

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'd like to know how to actually calibrate these things.

I have a known measured distance, verified by survey, GPS mapping program and google maps. I've walked it back and forth a bunch of times, resetting my pedometer to zero each time and written down the number of steps, and distance it says I traveled. The steps are pretty consistent but the mileage is way off. So taking the average number of steps for my known distance I calculated what the average number of steps is for a mile and have my pedometer set to calculate steps. I also have tried 2 different iPhone apps and they are off not only on steps but also mileage.

Best bet is to do several measured distances and take an average. And figure that if you are within 10% you're probably as good as it gets.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I'd like to know how to actually calibrate these things. I have a feeling that my iphone running app overestimates my run distances by about 10%. You'd basically need somewhere where the distance is measured exactly and move over it, but I don't know where to find something like that. A high school track would be my best bet, but not sure how accurate they are either.

High school tracks should be pretty accurate. 400 meters = one lap of the first lane.

To be sure, find a larger high school that produces collegiate track and field scholarship athletes. Or, the football field itself will be accurate. 50 yards across, 120 yards from the back of the endzone to the back of the other endzone.

Archived