Forums are back in action! ×

What should I do?

Hey,

So far this summer, I've been lifting three times a week and also running maybe every other day. This was great. I was getting results, in the form of weight loss and muscle mass increase. I was a happy guy. But, here's my issue. I play baseball, and sometime during a catch with my brother a couple of weeks ago I injured my arm. Initially, I thought it was just typical stiffness, soreness etc. Long story short, I have a rotator cuff tear.

My question to you guys would be: What can I still do to get into shape while recovering from this injury? (Aside from dieting, which I already have covered)

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

-Jean-Paul Sartre

I just posted basically the same question. I am recovering from surgery. I'm 7 weeks post op, things have gotten a lot better since. Are you in need of surgery? Have you been to P.T.? They will give you exercises to strengthen your R.C. As for working out you should just shoot for lower body and cardio if you're able to run.

Once I found out I would need suregery I got a recumbent bike (sit down) on craigs list way cheap, knowing I wouldn't be able to put o pressure on my shoulder. I then just made a basic interval training program I knew wouldn't affect my shoulder. Here is the circuit I am doing, 3 times a week 3 rounds , 5 min. recumbent bike or 3 min. jump rope, 30 sit ups, 12 squats or lunges or jump squats (light weight dumb bells), 25 dumb bell curls (light weight). On off days I'll either jump rope 20 min. or do a preset routine on my recumbent lasting 25 min. and walk an hour every other day.

Outer Space, if you have any questions about my whole expierence feel free to ask. If you're younger for sure get the surgery A.S.A.P. you'll be better of in the long run. Don't get cortisone shots either read up on them they are NOT good, research into it a bit. Good luck it's a long tough road my friend.

Thanks for the reply, Leake. It's much appreciated. I'm not sure if I need surgery at this point, but I'm sure that I don't want cortisone shots. Your routine does sound great for me. How have your results been from it so far?

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

-Jean-Paul Sartre

Honestly, unless they have a Medical or Physical Therapy Degree, I don't think anyone is qualified to answer this question. Definitely see a doctor, a sports doctor if your insurance allows, and ask them. You can probably still run and if your shoulder is still flexible, do squats, but I'm not at all qualified to give you hard advise.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

OuteSpaceMan, I am going to agree with CoreyD above and make sure you are cleared for such activities first. I just started this routine 2 weeks ago and have lost about 4 lb. after being limited to very low activity for the past 7 months. I adjusted my diet as well, instead of constant fast food garbage to a normal healthy diet around 2000 calories a day. Start with a phone call to your Doctor's office. Only they can determine what your best plan of action should be. Once you know what they will allow you to do, look around and find ways to keep moving. Remember you don't need to move mountains to stay in shape and lose weight.

This is just the beginning for me, I was crossfitting before I tore my R.C. and I plan on getting back to it. Also note that I did have surgery, recovery is slow, painful and tedious.

Archived