Forums are back in action! ×

Canadian Recruit

Hi everyone! I'm Lucy (although I've been going by Nenia, feel free to call me just about anything) and I just found NF.com today. It is amazing. I haven't yet bought the NF Fitness Guide but I'm planning on it.

Man, I'm bad at these intro things. Okay HERE GOES. I just graduated university (B.A. in Classical Studies) and I'm moving in a month to do a post-degree certificate in teaching in another province. I'm twenty-four but I've never lived on my own so I'm *coughtotallypetrifiedcough* a little nervous. Although it's scary, it'll also be a great opportunity to get in tip-top shape and really be able to control what I eat. My mom and grandma are both overweight and bring food into the house that I can't seem to stop myself from having. Just leaving the living room to come upstairs, I had to pass by three kinds of cookies and an apple cake.

I've alwaysalwaysalways been a chubby kid. I was awkward and embarrassed most of my childhood about how I looked and delved into RPGs instead of dealing with my unhappiness. I've grown into my own and I don't think anyone I know would be able to guess my weight (208lbs) but I'm still deeply unhappy with how I look. I deal with being unhappy by drinking and partying, which always turns into late-night eating and hangover breakfasts. I don't want to feel out of place with my friends and keep imagining everyone is calling me the fat friend.

I needed to read Steve's post today about there being NO SUCH THING as no time. It is so damn true and I need to stop making excuses for myself. If I want to date someone with a ripped body, I should be offering something similar at the table. So I'm scared and nervous but I'm here and I want to get this done. I want to live the life I deserve and make the changes to get me there. Can't wait to get to know you guys!

I've alwaysalwaysalways been a chubby kid. I was awkward and embarrassed most of my childhood about how I looked and delved into RPGs instead of dealing with my unhappiness.

I can SO relate to this! In fact I think most of the community can, so you are most definitely amongst friends - welcome :) I also drink and party a bit too much :/ Have you though about what kind of fitness goals you would like to attain? Have a look at this article on how to get things started :)

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Hi everyone! I'm Lucy (although I've been going by Nenia, feel free to call me just about anything) and I just found NF.com today. It is amazing. I haven't yet bought the NF Fitness Guide but I'm planning on it.

Man, I'm bad at these intro things. Okay HERE GOES. I just graduated university (B.A. in Classical Studies) and I'm moving in a month to do a post-degree certificate in teaching in another province. I'm twenty-four but I've never lived on my own so I'm *coughtotallypetrifiedcough* a little nervous. Although it's scary, it'll also be a great opportunity to get in tip-top shape and really be able to control what I eat. My mom and grandma are both overweight and bring food into the house that I can't seem to stop myself from having. Just leaving the living room to come upstairs, I had to pass by three kinds of cookies and an apple cake.

I've alwaysalwaysalways been a chubby kid. I was awkward and embarrassed most of my childhood about how I looked and delved into RPGs instead of dealing with my unhappiness. I've grown into my own and I don't think anyone I know would be able to guess my weight (208lbs) but I'm still deeply unhappy with how I look. I deal with being unhappy by drinking and partying, which always turns into late-night eating and hangover breakfasts. I don't want to feel out of place with my friends and keep imagining everyone is calling me the fat friend.

I needed to read Steve's post today about there being NO SUCH THING as no time. It is so damn true and I need to stop making excuses for myself. If I want to date someone with a ripped body, I should be offering something similar at the table. So I'm scared and nervous but I'm here and I want to get this done. I want to live the life I deserve and make the changes to get me there. Can't wait to get to know you guys!

I know exactly where you are coming from. I also drank (close to daily) to deal with stress and unhappiness. My evenings were almost exclusively play video games and get drunk, or go to a social gathering and get drunk. For about a month now, I've been working out daily and haven't touched a drop of booze. Not saying I will give it up forever, but I find that it is a distraction to my goals and I prove to myself that I can do anything I want to do. Good luck and welcome to the rebellion!

I can SO relate to this! In fact I think most of the community can, so you are most definitely amongst friends - welcome :) I also drink and party a bit too much :/ Have you though about what kind of fitness goals you would like to attain? Have a look at this article on how to get things started :)

^ Nailed it. Welcome :)

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I hadn't read this article! It made me feel a bit better about the drinking/partying haha

My fitness goals will have me playing outdoor soccer again and not only lasting the whole game but not being exhausted by it. I will be able to do pull-ups (right now I consider even one a victory buuut I'll say >5), full push-ups, dead-lifts of more than 100 pounds.. and this is a bit less fitness-y, but I want to be able to strut around in a bathing suit without feeling so self-conscious!

Oh and I want to kick ass in a Tough Mudder some time !

I know exactly where you are coming from. I also drank (close to daily) to deal with stress and unhappiness. My evenings were almost exclusively play video games and get drunk, or go to a social gathering and get drunk. For about a month now, I've been working out daily and haven't touched a drop of booze. Not saying I will give it up forever, but I find that it is a distraction to my goals and I prove to myself that I can do anything I want to do. Good luck and welcome to the rebellion!

That is exactly the rut that I find myself in! I don't want to be uncomfortable being sober with myself anymore. Not to mention drinking generally precedes some sort of physical pain the next day, making working out next to impossible (or so I keep allowing myself to say). I'm really evaluating my priorities here -- this site is freaking great.

thanks again for the warm welcome!

Whee more Canadians! Tough Mudder is also my long-term goal (signing up for the one next July) -- good luck! We can do it. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

Welcome to the forums!

Consider yourself lucky, having the chance to move out, and start making better decisions on your own!

[table=width: 700, align: center]

AngelCastaneda

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

STR: 3 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 2 WIS: 3 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Eat Paleo. Run 5K. Walk 10K steps. Read Love Languages

Real-time Step Data | Fitocracy

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are

[/table]

Whee more Canadians! Tough Mudder is also my long-term goal (signing up for the one next July) -- good luck! We can do it. :D

Awesome!! If that won't let me conquer my fears, I don't know what will. Thanks and good luck to you too!

Welcome to the forums!

Consider yourself lucky, having the chance to move out, and start making better decisions on your own!

I agree! I'm getting past the nerves and really starting to get excited about what this year can bring for me.

And do I spy a fellow Winnipegger??

I agree! I'm getting past the nerves and really starting to get excited about what this year can bring for me.

And do I spy a fellow Winnipegger??

I thought I had an invisibility cloak that would hide that :)

[table=width: 700, align: center]

AngelCastaneda

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

STR: 3 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 2 WIS: 3 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Eat Paleo. Run 5K. Walk 10K steps. Read Love Languages

Real-time Step Data | Fitocracy

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are

[/table]

Archived