Forums are back in action! ×

Stronglift 5X5

gillije

I came across the Stonglift 5x5 method and I am thinking of trying it. Has anyone tried it and if so what did you think about it, what where your results? Also, I really enjoy going to the gym, working out, and being active, with Stronglift 5x5 only being a 3 day a week workout what can I do on other days at the gym that wont interfere with Stronglift? Please dont say cardio because I do that already.

I did stronglifts for a while. I enjoyed it and got good results in the form of strength gains.

At first it's pretty easy and it'll go by fast. Since you progressively add weight each trip (assuming you hit your reps) the weight increases FAST making it harder. It will take longer.

In the beginning, you can do some accessory work, yoga... and it shouldn't interfere with SL. However, as the weight gets up there you'll likely need more recovery time. So, really.. I'd stick with SL and whatever cardio you do and fill the rest of your time hanging on these boards b/c we're awesome (jk, but don't feel like you need to spend all your time in the gym :)). Anything else strength related will end up messing with your program. The program is pretty solid, though. You should really need to do more.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I started Stronglifts 5x5 in January. I have had a couple of setbacks, but I've made some great progress. I have since moved to 3x5 because, as the weight increases, I felt that recovery was more of an issue. Things might seem pretty easy at first, but you should be really focusing on form and making sure that you are doing things correctly. I agree with Laura. I wouldn't try to do too much at once. Lifting 3x/week with some cardio is a really solid program. If you're going to add anything, I would make it mobility work. Do yoga if you like yoga. Otherwise (or in addition), look up foam rolling exercises and mobility drills and work on those. This is definitely an area that I need to spend more time on myself.

I did it for a bit but even with the low starting weight I got sloppy with form and tweaked my lower back enough to cause me to lay off the weights for a while. This was prob a year and a half ago and I'm just getting back in to it. (not that it took me that long to come back from the tweak, I just got lazy :D)

I'd recommend watching a lot of videos on form (Rippetoe of course) and if possible have a knowledgeable person check your form live ... also you can video yourself and have people on bb.com or wherever give you pointers -- most will ask for a rear and a side angle to help you accurately.

Thanks for all the replies. I started StrongLift 5x5 today, but felt it was way too easy. I didnt feel like I even broke a sweat.

It will be like that at first; that's by design. Use this time to get familiar with doing the movements properly and you will thank yourself later when you've got 300lb on your back and you actually know what to do with it.

It will be like that at first; that's by design. Use this time to get familiar with doing the movements properly and you will thank yourself later when you've got 300lb on your back and you actually know what to do with it.

And like Mehdi says, everyone wants to add more weight at the beginning. Check the ego at the door and focus on your form. You will be thankful in a couple weeks.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I feel this program is more for beginners. Would everyone agree? What if you have been lifting for years? I feel that I know proper technique already and I want to be challenged. I am still not sure if this system is for me.

How do you define "lifting for years"? What's your experience?

It will get harder in time, as previously said.

I feel this program is more for beginners. Would everyone agree? What if you have been lifting for years? I feel that I know proper technique already and I want to be challenged. I am still not sure if this system is for me.

What are your numbers? How much do you weigh, and what are your maxes on the Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, and Overhead Press?

The following stats were computed using the Stronglift 5x5 excel spreadsheet. Squat 15 reps @ 200 lbs = 291 5RM. Bench 12 reps @ 205 lbs = 262 5RM. Press 13 reps @ 100lbs =133 5RM. Row 13 reps @ 135 = 173 5RM. Deadlift 15 reps @ 185 lbs = 0 5RM ? Weight 215 Height 6'6" BF% = 8.7% as of 2 wks ago.

All,

Thanks for the encouragement. I have decided to give the 12 wk stronglift program a try, but I have decided to start at higher weights than just the bar. I have also decided to add in some bicep/tricep work b.c as my wife pointed out my arms are getting smaller lol.

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 right now... You don't have to start with just the bar... The spreadsheet tells you where you should start...

I've got experience in the gym dating back to when I was in high school... and I have some decent PRs... but I couldn't come close to approaching them now...

One of my biggest issues is fighting the urge to put more weight on the plate simply because the weight feels so damn light right now....

Piece of advice: do NOT add the additional exercises. You're gonna need all the rest you can get...

Archived