Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Wow, Good Omens is a great way to introduce yourself to both Gaiman and Pratchett. I have given it as a gift probably ten times and each time a new devout fan of those funny little Brits is born.

Funny thing is, I've actually read most of Pratchett's books, but don't remember them, since I was about 10 years old. Loved him then, but my couple attempts at reading him as an adult didn't go well, so we'll see... if Good Omens goes well, I'll give him another shot!

regarding Neil Gaiman:

it kind of was, and it kind of wasn't. It was modeled on Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book" (which, amusingly enough, I needed TV Tropes to point out to me -- then I wondered how I could have missed it), but that book wasn't exactly for kids either.

I hadn't realized that! Haven't read "The Jungle Book" yet, so I'll make a point of doing so.

I used to read the Xanth books, and got to like #20 before I quit, so I can do just fine with funny/punny books. Maybe I'm just not in that phase of my life any more, or maybe all of the religious stuff went over my head.

I've read the first two Xanth books after a Tinder date recommended them, and... I really like them for the most part, but something about how women are depicted in the books really rubbed me the wrong way. I'd have to go back to get details, but it was enough to make me not want to keep reading an otherwise perfectly delightful book series.

Been doing a lot of audiobook "reading" lately... listened to "Jepp, Who Defied the Stars" by Katherine Marsh, and now listening to "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Saenz. Loved the first, am so far loving the second.

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

I've read the first two Xanth books after a Tinder date recommended them, and... I really like them for the most part, but something about how women are depicted in the books really rubbed me the wrong way. I'd have to go back to get details, but it was enough to make me not want to keep reading an otherwise perfectly delightful book series.

Yeah I suspect I'd have a different take on them now that I'm a very far left intersectional queer feminist!

I just finished Worlds of Exile and Illusion and enjoyed it bunches. Really looking forward to Left Hand of Darkness.

• Like 1

Yeah I suspect I'd have a different take on them now that I'm a very far left intersectional queer feminist!

I just finished Worlds of Exile and Illusion and enjoyed it bunches. Really looking forward to Left Hand of Darkness.

Hey, if you're looking for more in that vein, Samuel Delaney and Joanna Russ are definitely authors you should check out.  They're more 1960s New Wave writers, but they're incredibly influential. (Delaney's 'Neveryona' stories really mess with epic fantasy tropes, and Russ' "The Female Man" is a must-read.)   

Somebody currently rocking the gender-identity boat is Ann Leckie; her Ancillary series posits a gender-neutral language (everyone is referred to as 'she'), an integalactic empire in which family connections are everything and bare hands are considered risqué.  The books are told from the viewpoint of a former ship's AI who's trying to navigate Imperial politics while learning to use a human body. Great stuff.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Found a copy of The Vampire Lestat laying around, so I skimmed through it. It was okay, but I don't see what all the fuss over Anne Rice is about.

It was the 80s?

Hey, if you're looking for more in that vein, Samuel Delaney and Joanna Russ are definitely authors you should check out. They're more 1960s New Wave writers, but they're incredibly influential. (Delaney's 'Neveryona' stories really mess with epic fantasy tropes, and Russ' "The Female Man" is a must-read.)

Somebody currently rocking the gender-identity boat is Ann Leckie; her Ancillary series posits a gender-neutral language (everyone is referred to as 'she'), an integalactic empire in which family connections are everything and bare hands are considered risqué. The books are told from the viewpoint of a former ship's AI who's trying to navigate Imperial politics while learning to use a human body. Great stuff.

Oooh, thanks! I'll definitely take a look.

It was the 80s?

yeah, that's probably it.  Some things just need to be taken in historical context.

Just finished Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.  I probably would've gotten more out of it 15 years ago.  I'm not super impressed with the rambling poetry-prose style, other people have done it way better than Bradbury imo (and yes, I remember Fahrenheit 451 from high school).  

In spite of that, it's a decent, acceptably scary story. Bradbury is indeed good at delivering the scares without cheap R-rated crap.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Currently reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (which is still on sale at google books for $1.99). I'm very much enjoying it, has a bit of an unconventional heroine, is told in third person present (usually present tense annoys me for whatever reason, but not in this book).

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

Finally finished To Kill A Mockingbird. I was getting through a chapter before bed each night, but I kept falling asleep and not really absorbing the story (and sleep is very important to me, so I won't stay up reading!) So yesterday I decided to just finish the damn thing. Three hours later, finished, haha.

Does anyone else plan in advance their next read? I started The Sun Also Rises last night and I already want to read Slaughterhouse-5 next!

I aim to misbehave.

Battle log

I tend to get involved in multiple books simultaneously.

Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer (the guy who does the Basic Instructions web comic). It's pretty good.

Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo. I think it is excellent so far.

I also recently read Chosen, the first book in the Warrior Chronicles, by K.F. Breene. It was an interesting story, but for some reason I'm just not super motivated to keep going in that series right now.

I just finished the first book in the Alchemyst series by Michael Scott. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, so I will definitely be getting the next one soon.  

As soon as my request at the library is fulfilled, I will be starting the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, since my dear wife absolutely will not shut up about it. We'll see how that goes.

There are a few other books that I am technically in the middle of reading right now, although my progress has stalled a bit:

The Worm Ouroboros, by E.R. Eddison    

Reaper's Gale, by Steven Erikson

Moby Dick (I'm not sure why I even put this here, since it's been well over a year since I read any. I suppose I really should read a chapter now and then so I can cross it off my list eventually.)

Finally getting around to reading the Dark Tower series.  And HOLY COW I am loving every minute of it.  It took me until the second book to really start enjoying it, the first one was kinda meh for me until the end, but I'm on the fourth one (The Wizard and Glass) now and I just do not want this series to end.

Does anyone else plan in advance their next read? I started The Sun Also Rises last night and I already want to read Slaughterhouse-5 next!

I may or may not have an excel spreadsheet with all the book I want to read, and in what order.  Mostly so I don't forget about book I've wanted to read forever and get overtaken by new stuff, and so I can try to plan out evening out the dispersion of the series with novels, with non fiction and stuff like that.

Yep, nerd here.

• Like 2

Picked up Ghost Flight by Bear Grylls in Heathrow Airport and I'm thinking The Martian or the new Girl With The Dragon Tattoo will have to be next.

I'm just inundated with excellent literature lately.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I may or may not have an excel spreadsheet with all the book I want to read, and in what order. Mostly so I don't forget about book I've wanted to read forever and get overtaken by new stuff, and so I can try to plan out evening out the dispersion of the series with novels, with non fiction and stuff like that.

I tried to do that, but ended up with way too many books on it. Oops. I only track what I've already read.

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

I tried to do that, but ended up with way too many books on it. Oops. I only track what I've already read.

Oh yeah, there are way too many books on my list haha. Can't be helped.

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

• Like 1

The Shallows: What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains. It's a combination of the history of information technology and neuroscience/neuroplasticity... I was reading the paperback, then my cat threw up all over it and I had to throw it away. I bought the ebook to finish it, and the whole next chapter was about how ebooks are nearly as bad as the internet. (Especially funny because it was largely based on the idea that some ebooks have distracting links, and this book is loaded with endnote links.)

• Like 2

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

caught my eye because of a "Philip K. Dick award" note on the front.

¯`·._.·· Jarenth ··._.·´¯

@xxxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

level 0 Half-Elf Recruit (Ranger Hopeful)

STR 0 | DEX  0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

■■■■■■■■■■■■█■■■■■■■■■■■■

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge

The Shallows: What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains. It's a combination of the history of information technology and neuroscience/neuroplasticity... I was reading the paperback, then my cat threw up all over it and I had to throw it away. I bought the ebook to finish it, and the whole next chapter was about how ebooks are nearly as bad as the internet. (Especially funny because it was largely based on the idea that some ebooks have distracting links, and this book is loaded with endnote links.)

Which is funny to me, because I am annoyed by and ignore footnotes and other mid-chapter notes, and am not going to lose my place in the ebook just to flip to the endnotes section, but I love doing all that with a paper book, and always want to immediately read the footnote/endnote when I see the super-scripted number/symbol! 

Thankfully, most of my ebooks don't have any such notes, although probably because I read almost exclusively fiction. But I do read most everything in ebook format now - I always have my phone with me, and I use free downloads from the library where I'm forced to "return" it at the end of the borrowing term, so I can't rack up fees like I do for months-late paper books...

Just finished reading (as an ebook from the library on my phone) The Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran - an interesting fictionalized look at the life of purportedly the most famous woman in India's history, from around the 1850s.

• Like 1