Forums are back in action! ×

Best eReader?

Ghost

Hey Rebels!

My birthday is just over a month out, as you may or may not know.

But already I'm being pressured for present ideas.

I was initially torn between a Nintendo 3DS and an eReader.

But as much as I want to play Kingdom Hearts: DDD an eReader would be the most long term solution.

But now I need to figure out what sort of eReader to get.

I'm constantly getting mixed reviews about the Kindle and all.

I'm trying to weigh all the options but can't decide.

So that's why I've called you all here today.

Help me pick a good eReader.

Also, is there any way I can read manga on eReader, I love me some Soul Eater :)

I bought a Kindle just a few months ago. I strongly recommend it. I got the kindle touch 3g, I wouldn't recommend the 3g, that hasn't been useful. The only other thing annoying about the kindle, and youll find this true about any ereader, is that sometimes the kindle version is more expensive then buying the physical book. Does not make sense because the kindle version does not need distribution or manufacturing, and also cannot be shared or resold which should further decrease the price. So this is good news.

Race: Human

Class: Assassin

My wife and I both have a Kindle Touch. I think it's an excellent option. I've not had any problems with it, and reading on it is actually quite good. I thought there would be some period of getting used to reading on the screen, but it was no problem at all. Also, the storage on it is ridiculous. There is no reason I would ever have to carry around 1200 books.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

I'm just going to echo the sentiments of the above posters. I've had the Wi-Fi version of the Kindle Touch since June, and absolutely love it. I'm off on holiday at the beginning of September and it means my baggage allowance now won't be nearly all taken up by the books I want to read while I'm away.

Follow me on Twitter: @garth_green

I have a Nook color and enjoy it. I don't use it to its full abilities but I know you can get graphic novels and manga. I haven't fully browsed the selection but now you know. I never had any issues with the nook. I decided based on what company I liked the most and other random reasons like read in store feature.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

But now I need to figure out what sort of eReader to get.

I'm constantly getting mixed reviews about the Kindle and all.

Hubby and I have original first generation kindles. We both love them to bits. I also have an iPad and hubby has a new tablet system as well.

For reading of ordinary books nothing can beat an e-ink display. That basically means no color at this point. E-ink is easier on the eyes than a regular book and takes far less power. I'm planning on buying a new kindle at the next rev but I'll only get an e-ink one.

I do read on my iPad but it's like reading on a computer screen. The emissive display means I can't do it for hours and hours easily. Only thing I read on it are color magazines and a few books that have color illustrations.

Nooks have always seemed flimsy to me although they are better than when they first came out but kindles are all elegant.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I've owned both a 3g and a non-3g eReader, both Nook. I have the ones without the backlighting (a true eReader) because I have chronic migraines and bright lights are not known to help with those.

Personally I love my Nook, and I miss the 3g because I read in a ton of places and without it I have to be in a location that has free/public wifi when I want a new book.

Level 3 Time Lord AdventurerChallenge Thread

| | Cosplay Blog | |

I have a NookColor hacked to think it's an Android. It basically behaves as a tablet complete with touch screen (and the firmware is gesture sensitive, yay!!). It has the Kindle app installed, so it will read any book in Kindle format. I also have been toying with ways to make it read documents in other formats (there are apps that read non-Kindle formats, if you happen to acquire eBooks from other sources).

What device you want is gonna depend a lot on what you plan to use it for. If you're just gonna read books, I think a black-and-white e-Ink screen is your best bet. They're light and cheap, battery lasts for weeks, and it's easy on the eyeballs. If you plan to surf the net or read magazines, you'll need something with a color screen.

When it comes to personal devices other than a computer, I have this odd preference for devices that do as LITTLE as possible. For instance, I resisted getting a smartphone for years because I thought it would be too distracting. I keep my calendar in a paper notebook to this day, having tried a PalmPilot back in high school and found it more trouble than it was worth. So if you're like me and you hate complicated things, just get a Kindle. Though I have a friend who swears by his Sony e-reader; apparently it does every format known to man, including DRM-free formats.

By the way, you can adjust the screen brightness on almost any device. I keep the brightness on my devices turned down as low as possible, to save the battery and my eyeballs. But if you're using it in bright light, you need to crank the backlight up to see anything.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I'm very, very tempted to say you should get a Google Nexus 7 and install a bunch of reader apps. Same size as the Kindle Fire, but a bit more capable due to a multitude of apps. The Kindle and it's app don't work with libraries in Canada, and since that's where I get my books, it leaves me wanting.

But the Nexus 7? Looks nice, and the reviews are very good.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Archived