Forums are back in action! ×

Primal Newbie

Hey guys! I am definitely new here, and mostly new to working out in general. Diet-wise, i've got that under control. Most of the time i eat primal with a bit of gluten free treats here and there. and by primal, i mean a decent portion of meat at each meal with the rest of my plate being filled with vegetables (usually steamed greens) and some fruit. I eat other stuff too, like dairy once in a while, clean potato chips, gluten free junk food. I know i eat more than i need to, mostly out of boredom. anyway, enough about food. I've got MDA for that. ;)

But...exercise is another matter. I don't lead a wholly sedentary life, i happen to be the mama to three kids (as well as a college student and small business [part]owner). I run, play, jump, carry and throw them randomly throughout the day (they range in weight from 25lbs to 50). i'm never shy about carrying heavyish things that i think i can lift. I walk or bike once in a while for fun. But i don't have a serious workout plan or goals. Last summer i tried losing a little weight; I was doing bodyweight exercises then. pushups, trying to work up to a pullup negative, squats, that sort of thing. I felt like i wasn't achieving much, but i did drop 10 pounds (which i've gained back since then) and maybe gained a little muscle. I'm back up to 130ish at 5'4". I'm not really sure, because i don't own a functional scale.

Anyway, why am i here? well, for a few reasons. First, i've wanted to do a pullup for a while, and a few nights ago i dreamed that i could. It was a random dream, i hadn't thought about anything of the nature for months, but in that dream i grabbed onto the top of a door frame and easily knocked out ten, then curled my feet up to the ceiling and effortlessly knocked out another 10. I miss the fun i had as a kid, being able to pull myself up, do handstands, that sort of thing. I have a few family members who still can as adults and i'm jealous. and really, there's nothing stopping me but a bit of hard work.

Second, when the next semester of school starts, i'll have free access to the campus gym, and i intend to use it. I find this intimidating. And not just a little intimidating, but sort of social anxiety intimidating. i've managed to get my anxiety under control so that i can function in a lot of situations, but for some reason the gym seems like a different plane of intimidating. anyway, i don't really want to focus on that, because ultimately it makes it worse, but anxiety is a factor here. so, i'm hoping that in a few weeks when the semester begins, working out at the gym will seem less intimidating because i'll know a little bit more about what i plan to do there.

third, yeah vanity is a little bit of a factor. certain parts of my body are just irrevocably screwed, and i have to learn to live with that. yay procreation! but other parts can be improved. this isn't a huge motivating factor for me, but it's more of a benefit.

i struggle with having enough energy throughout the day. there are factors here out of my control: it has been hot for months, and i'm a wuss when it comes to temps above 80F. my toddler still wakes throughout the night, so my sleep isn't that great. my body seems to suck at workout recovery. maybe i push it too hard after not working out? i've tried to address this by making sure i have enough water, magnesium, potassium, and carbohydrates. it makes a little difference, but not much. sugar consumption really doesn't help, so i need to cut that. anyway, so when i workout "to failure" i usually feel it for days.

so, my goals are to be able to lift heavier, be able to do pullups and handstands, and to feel comfortable in the gym.

Anyway, why am i here? well, for a few reasons. First, i've wanted to do a pullup for a while, and a few nights ago i dreamed that i could. It was a random dream, i hadn't thought about anything of the nature for months, but in that dream i grabbed onto the top of a door frame and easily knocked out ten, then curled my feet up to the ceiling and effortlessly knocked out another 10. I miss the fun i had as a kid, being able to pull myself up, do handstands, that sort of thing. I have a few family members who still can as adults and i'm jealous. and really, there's nothing stopping me but a bit of hard work.

Welcome, good luck with your pullup goal - I'm sure there are people are there in the NF world that would be happy to help (me included ... not that I would be much help as I am just started working on doing a pullup right at the beginning)

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

thanks for the welcome guys!

baloo- right, newbie here but i've been on MDA for a little under 2 years. I really feel like a newb when it comes to fitness, but i guess i have a little experience.

shortstuff- what are you doing now to work up to a pullup? before my pullup bar broke, I was doing assisted pullups with a chair. I didn't think I was getting anywhere so I stopped. so now i'm wondering: are there other exercises to strengthen those muscle groups so that i'll see faster progress?

Welcome, Saoirse!

I'm working on pull-ups too....I'm up to 4 negatives on the monkey bars in the playground :) Have you tried these exercises yet? And as for feeling overly sore, maybe you're not getting enough protein/calories to rebuild your muscles after a workout? Just a thought, but I'm no expert on these things... :ambivalence:

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Archived