Forums are back in action! ×

Pixie Adventurer ready to get started

I am 30 years old, 5'2" and 121 lbs. I am not in bad shape, but I am not in great shape either. I don't have problems losing weight but I also don't have any problems putting it back on. I have a bad habit of starting an exercise program and then dropping out after a while, either due to boredom or pain (I have fibromyalgia). The one thing I am pretty consistent with is walking, especially on the trails around my house.

A few months ago my digestive system mutinied and my doctor put me on a strict diet and gave me a bunch of stuff to read. One thing that stuck out to me was that moderate exercise could help the problem. I decided that since I was already having to follow a healthy diet this was the perfect time to go all out and get serious about my health, so I added exercise too.

I started with yoga, since that was supposed to be great for people with fibromyalgia. After a couple of months I noticed that I felt a whole lot better, so I decided to add more to my workouts. I started mixing jogging with walking on my hikes, then I started on the Couch to 5k plan (I'm on week 4). My next move is to add more strength training and make sure I stick with my routine.

While trying to figure out what type of strength training to do I stumbled across Nerd Fitness. I'm a book nerd rather than a gaming nerd, but I figure that's close enough, besides how can you not love a site that illustrates articles with Legos and makes Star Wars references. The big draw was the community and the challenges. My hope is that joining the community gives me a sense of accountability and that the challenges can help me stay motivated. If I tell myself I am going to be able to do 25 pushups in a row in 6 weeks I can always wimp out because no one will know, but if I post it on the boards I feel like I have to get it done.

So here I go. A pixie adventurer ready to join the next 6 week challenge.

Pixie Adventurer

Exercise is not an option - it is a requirement.

Current Challenge

Welcome! It sounds like you know exactly where you're going. That's half the battle. And you've already tried several things and are ready to give lifting a try. Good for you. I love lifting! I have days my lifts struggle, but I've hardly missed any workouts since I switched to barbell.

Are you going to join in the challenge that starts Monday? You mentioned the challenge so I hope you do!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I tend to (over)research things. But in this case that may be a good thing. I'm actually planning to start with bodyweight strength training, since I still haven't figured out how to fit a gym membership into my budget, but I am interested in trying lifting at some point. I like learning new things, so I am looking at my journey to fitness as a new chance to learn.

Pixie Adventurer

Current Challenge

That's a good idea on the pushups. I have done some research on the paleo/primal diet, but I'm not ready for that yet. I am a carb lover (especially pasta), so cutting out the grains would be really tough for me. I may try to work up to it though, since I can see the benefits of that type of diet.

Pixie Adventurer

Current Challenge

Archived