Forums are back in action! ×

a shy "hello"

Hi :)

My name's Elanor - I finally registered after reading hours and hours here - I think it's time to start. I'm not a native english speaker *sorry* if I get something wrong. I'm 25, female and I own a small pc-services-store - of course I love gaming aka I'm a full nerd :D

I'm 5 1/4 tall (you can call me a hobbit) and weigh about 128lbs and I'm a bit afraid of setting a goal ... I'm afraid I do not accomplish it and get frustrated - so I really need some advice to do it right. Initally I wanted to loose some weight (it works - but now I'm interested in fitness) and started barefoot running - I really love it! Hey I'm a hobbit so what did I suspect? I recognized my lower body is really fit (drive my bike to work every day) but my upper body is incredibly weak - I have to change that and found the rebellion while searching for the pull-up progression via fitocracy

so lets get nerdy:

sudo apt-get install pull-up

command not found :tongue:

That is my goal: I want to do a pull-up

I simply want my body to do what it is designed for. I was very fit - I danced at a musical-class about 10 hours a week (I once was an elf, but I stopped growing), but then I started that business, had no time and moved 3 times so there was no class and I got fat.

I started running 3 months ago and started with some bodyweight-exercises about a month ago (I'm honest: I do not like it, but I have to do it) after giving up that scooby pullup-thing *sigh* it won't work that way.

I hope I meet somebody here to kick my ass (and maybe help me design the right workout-plan - I feel like not doing it right*) and get that done :D *Cake for everyone!* (oh wait, I have some nice steaks for you paleo-guys too)

*: reading that article about horizontal pull an push and stuff confused me even more ...

trying to bulk up and get incredibly strong :rolleyes-new:

OK, first, if you want to join the challenge, you should! There will be lots of advice and support as you work toward your goals. Click the challenge link at the top of the forums, and see if it's something you want to do.

Second, don't be worried about not meeting your goals. Just set a goal you feel like is realistic (and is easy to measure) and then do everything you can to work toward it. If you don't meet it, then appreciate how far you've come!

Third, I think the horizontal pull you're talking about might be an inverted row. This a good intermediate exercise until you can work up to full pullups - and you can do them at different levels, slowly increasing strength. Steve's article on inverted rows explains more, if you haven't read it. You can also do assisted pullups, using assitance from a band or by standing on a chair.

For some reason I can't get links to work at work: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/11/06/inverted-row-are-you-missing-out-on-this-great-exercise/

Welcome to the rebellion! And good luck with the pullups and your running!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Thanks! *notes commands*

I do inverted rows already - with a broomstick lying between two chairs. And I do barbell bench rows with 5kg weights (still feel the 3 sets I did yesterday...)

And that's the problem - I have no idea if it's realistic to get from inverted rows to a real pullup in just 6 weeks. Maybe I should just give it a try :D

trying to bulk up and get incredibly strong :rolleyes-new:

Nice to meet ya Elanor and from 1 new member to another welcome to NF.

Doing a pull up is one of my main goals as well and it'll b one of my goals for this challenge. I think we both can reach it with these 6 weeks and if not there will definitely be alot of progress made.

Onslaught Studios

Fade: Level 1 Gnome Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

My First Challenge - http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16044-A-new-Recruit-My-first-6-week-challenge

Archived