Forums are back in action! ×

Becoming a personal trainer

Morrigainz

So I have been thinking about what to do with myself after graduating school, and the obvious choice was...more school!

Seriously though, I've discovered a major passion for fitness and I want to share that with other people. But I want to be sure I am doing so in a safe way. A brief look online shows soooo many different courses, course packs, accrediting agencies, and types of certification. Does anyone have any tips for how to go about this? What certification/program did you choose, and why? Would you do it again? What would you change if you had to?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I did NCSF. Pretty well regarded, reasonably priced, and requires continuous education to maintain your certification.

The resources they give you are pretty handy too. They do show a *bit* of bias in some areas, but generally do a good job of recognizing and implementing different lifestyle choices.

The course is not difficult at all, especially if you've a) done any biology in school or B) already read a s***ton about it on teh netz.

Any other questions mirrrrrrrrrrrrr? :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

What was the reason you chose that one over the others?

Because I could do the course at home with a textbook and some DVDs, it was accredited locally and I could take the test in a nearby testing center. Honestly, as long as it's a credible source, it pretty much doesn't matter. When someone comes to you for training advice, they don't base their opinion of you on where you got your certificate.

How often do you have to re-up your cert?

Every two years, either by re-testing, earning credits through the monthly quizzes, or taking supplementary courses in various related fields (sports exercise, re-hab, etc. specialized stuff).

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Honestly, as long as it's a credible source, it pretty much doesn't matter.

This is good to know, and something I was wondering about. What are some of the most credible ones out there?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I went with a basic ACTION certification. a: it's free. b: just about any program will teach you the same stuff, it's all about what you get out of it. c: I dig open source stuff.

Mine is actually up for renewal this month and I'm probably going to stick with them. No reason not to.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

i'm going to get the NASM one, once i set up my business.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Hey Girl! I'm doing this too! Let's chat up later!

M really really busy as hell here managing my full time job + PT course +my training whenever I can..........but should be free in a day or 2..

i'm attending K11

http://keleven.com/

check it out! M really enjoying it all..

if anything I just wish that the lecturers took a lot more time and pause a lot more when teaching us so that I can lap it up whenever i can...

I hope you don't mind, I just subscribed to your thread....I think it's a really good one. I'm thinking about becoming a certified PT to do on the side once I hit my goal weight. Thanks so much for the post and please keep us updated with how your certification goes (whichever route you choose)!

This is good to know, and something I was wondering about. What are some of the most credible ones out there?

Honestly, there's so many educational sources out there, it would be easier to list the signs of a good educator:

- A listing with the BBB

- Price range from 300 - 500 dollars, depending on whether you do distance, self teaching, exam packages, etc. I paid 500 all told for my course, textbook, dvds, practice/lab booklets and exam.

- A FULL textbook. A good course will take you through basic kinesiology, anatomy, and physiology before even attempting to get into the nitty gritty. While the exam won't focus heavily on that stuff, it still gives you a base for understanding why certain recommendations are being made in terms of exercise/diet selection.

-Re-certification on a consistent basis. As tempting as it is to get a certificate that you never need worry about again, it's basically a money grab.

- Continued support. NCSF has a full website of resources, research reviews, and apps

That's all I can think of for now.

Archived