Forums are back in action! ×

loss of motivation

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

I don't know if I'm just having a bad day or a rough spell but for some reason, for the first time in my (weightlifting) life I have absolutely no motivation whatsoever to go to the gym and work out. none at all.

help me. please.

It doesn't matter if you want to, you can't always get what you want, so go work your arse off anyway.

Or

To be a better man than you were yesterday, you have to push harder. You want to train weights? Great, that'll make your body strong, but if you only do it when you feel like it you will never be mentally strong. And thus not really strong at all. Just get up and go.

(That might work better if I was a more intimidating presence than I am and was standing in your face screaming it at you, but hopefully it helps anyway.)

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

It doesn't matter if you want to, you can't always get what you want, so go work your arse off anyway.

No, you can't always get what you want

But if you try sometime, you just might find

You get what you need

Those lyrics fit this situation almost too perfectly.

On a more serious note, have you given any thought to changing up your routine or setting unique challenges/goals for yourself? Doing the same thing for a long enough period can drive a person mad. We all need a fresh outlook from time to time.

No one's making you work out, but if you want to get stronger, you must.

That said, maybe it's time to take a day off weightlifting and do something else. Go for a run, go swimming, go biking, play some soccer. Maybe you're just bored. Move your butt, but it's up to you to decide how.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Guest Snake McClain

I just don't have the motivation to do anything today. I just want to sit around and do nothing. but I know if I don't go then I won't be able to again until weds. like i have no energy. maybe i'm not eating enough.

What? This, from the man who says to give life HAND GRENADES? Is this what hand grenades look like? No, it is not. This is what taking the lemons and saying "Thank you, sir" looks like. Pffft. I wanna hear a gd barbaric yawp. Fists clenched, head thrown back, chest out like a freak, barbarian howl in the face of all the bullshit today can come up with. Because today is trying to f**k you over, son. And you need to snarl in its face, punch it in the throat, and piss excellence all over its boots.

There are over 100 people who viewed this thread and are rooting for you, expecting you to get up, get out the door, and put your heart into it. If you don't follow through for those 100 people rooting for you, fine. But if you tap out before you even start, you're cheating yourself out of a better you. And that's bulls**t. So quit reading this crap and get out there. Post back and let us know how much lightning you belched.

[i can be warm and fuzzy if you prefer...I just respond better to mild abuse that pisses me off. Thought it would be worth a shot. No offense meant! But srsly, get out there, princess. :P]

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest

Okay. Here. Do this for me: get out of your chair and do one push-up. Just one. Then come back here.

You done?

You promise?

Okay, well, you did one push-up. That wasn't so hard. Surely you can do maybe two. Just two, that's all. Come on, do it for me.

Okay? You all done?

Gosh, I bet you feel like you should be moving a bit more. Maybe just stand up and do five jumping jacks. Just five. That's all.

Surely you've done them by now.

Okay, now, I want you to find something kinda heavy near you. Not too heavy. Maybe your printer, or your computer tower, or that stack of 3 humongous textbooks that you have been avoiding studying. I want you to put it on the ground. Now, stand up and LIFT it right over your head fast like you were saving it from catching on fire.

Done?

Now, tell me you still don't feel like getting up and doing something.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

What if you don't workout? You do work out regularly You have made it a priority. Made today you just need the rest.If it was your habit to always use an excuse I'd say go work out. But it isn't. Do some mobility work. Go for a walk. Eat and have some water. Then see how you feel. It is ok to occasionally listen to our body and just take it easy, because sometimes we need that.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Man, I hear you. That's like me every day. Today I almost turned around and went home after just about every set, because I was tired and unmotivated and heavy things are heavy. So I say from experience that sometimes you just have to do with your body and not with your mind. Be as unmotivated as you want as long as you're getting in the car and driving over to the gym at the time. Let yourself go "Man, I don't want to work out today, I'll just stay home" all through your deadlift sets.

Optimal? No, but most of the time better than sitting on the couch. Conversely, though, if you really feel like you need a mental health day from lifting, take one. It won't hurt you unless you make it a habit.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

It's obvious how NF works as a support system from this thread. It's like AA or NA having sponsors or something. You feel like you can't workout but instead of just sitting around you come to NF to ask for help. Therefore you clearly haven't lost it. You don't have zero motivation. It's just a question of igniting the spark. GET TO IT.

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

Guest Snake McClain
What? This, from the man who says to give life HAND GRENADES? Is this what hand grenades look like? No, it is not. This is what taking the lemons and saying "Thank you, sir" looks like. Pffft. I wanna hear a gd barbaric yawp. Fists clenched, head thrown back, chest out like a freak, barbarian howl in the face of all the bullshit today can come up with. Because today is trying to f**k you over, son. And you need to snarl in its face, punch it in the throat, and piss excellence all over its boots.

There are over 100 people who viewed this thread and are rooting for you, expecting you to get up, get out the door, and put your heart into it. If you don't follow through for those 100 people rooting for you, fine. But if you tap out before you even start, you're cheating yourself out of a better you. And that's bulls**t. So quit reading this crap and get out there. Post back and let us know how much lightning you belched.

[i can be warm and fuzzy if you prefer...I just respond better to mild abuse that pisses me off. Thought it would be worth a shot. No offense meant! But srsly, get out there, princess. :P]

this was awesome. I totally lol'd

Okay. Here. Do this for me: get out of your chair and do one push-up. Just one. Then come back here.

You done?

You promise?

Okay, well, you did one push-up. That wasn't so hard. Surely you can do maybe two. Just two, that's all. Come on, do it for me.

Okay? You all done?

Gosh, I bet you feel like you should be moving a bit more. Maybe just stand up and do five jumping jacks. Just five. That's all.

Surely you've done them by now.

Okay, now, I want you to find something kinda heavy near you. Not too heavy. Maybe your printer, or your computer tower, or that stack of 3 humongous textbooks that you have been avoiding studying. I want you to put it on the ground. Now, stand up and LIFT it right over your head fast like you were saving it from catching on fire.

Done?

Now, tell me you still don't feel like getting up and doing something.

Also funny.

Ditto the last two comments.

Honestly, I get that way sometimes when I'm thinking about working out/other issues to much. Just get up and go. Don't think about it.

What if you don't workout? You do work out regularly You have made it a priority. Made today you just need the rest.If it was your habit to always use an excuse I'd say go work out. But it isn't. Do some mobility work. Go for a walk. Eat and have some water. Then see how you feel. It is ok to occasionally listen to our body and just take it easy, because sometimes we need that.
It's obvious how NF works as a support system from this thread. It's like AA or NA having sponsors or something. You feel like you can't workout but instead of just sitting around you come to NF to ask for help. Therefore you clearly haven't lost it. You don't have zero motivation. It's just a question of igniting the spark. GET TO IT.

Honestly I just needed the day off. I went home and ate good and just relaxed. I did some writing and feel pretty good now. So that said I'll be going to the gym tonight after work (re-arranged my schedule so I could). All is well in the Snake Pit (i guess that's me??).

Thanks for the support everyone. You are all pretty amazing.

this was awesome. I totally lol'd

Also funny.

Honestly I just needed the day off. I went home and ate good and just relaxed. I did some writing and feel pretty good now. So that said I'll be going to the gym tonight after work (re-arranged my schedule so I could). All is well in the Snake Pit (i guess that's me??).

Thanks for the support everyone. You are all pretty amazing.

Good for you for listening to your body and double bonus wisdom points for rearranging your schedule to work out on a differant day. I know you've been on the boards awhile and that you really do consistently work out. Sometimes we just need a bit of a break.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

This. is. awesome. Ima save it and read it when I need a swift kick...:)

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

LOL.

You have one morning of feeling rubbish, and you can't even make it the whole day. You've gotta perk yourself up and head out that same evening. Don't know whats gotten into you man.

/sarcasm

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Archived