Forums are back in action! ×

Hit My Delts!

KillerGriller

I'm looking for a Deltoid exercise to add to my routine and the only one I can think of is Delt Flys. Flys never seem to work for me (maybe because of my long wing-span?), I don't get pumped/worked but my arms get stuck as I go to bigger weights. I usually have to cheat a little to get them moving past the dead spot in my movement which isn't optimal. Currently I do: pullups/chinups, pushups, lat pull downs, seated shoulder/military press (my basement isn't tall enough to do them standing), bench press, and occasionally pendelay rows which may contribute/help in some way.

So.....

Are flys the best solution? If so how do I maximize the burn while managing the hitch?

If not, what should I be doing to hit the delts harder?

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Front Delts

I was using my googlefu and came across: upright rows, lateral raises and handstand pushups. Is there one that's better than the rest?

Also, what's the difference between an Overhead/Shoulder/Military presses?

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I'd stay the hell away from upright rows. Lat raises seem to be kinda lateral delt oriented to me. At least, that's what they're most commonly used for. Are you sure those exercises were for front delts? In any case, HSPU = overhead pressing. So just press heavy shit overhead and eat a lot.

Military press has feet close together, I think.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Half ROM HeSPU's especially focus on the deltoids.

The bottom portion of the headstand pushup is the hard part and includes a lot of triceps involvement. The top part is easier, from a handstand down to about halfway and back up, has a lot less triceps involvement, it is primarily a deltoid exercise with some trap involvement at the top.

If you can hold a handstand for 30 seconds or more, you should have no trouble doing half ROM HeSPU's.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Why are you looking for delt exercises anyway? They get plenty of work from assisting in most exercises involving any arm use at all.

If you're looking for larger delts, thats body building territory, in which case you wanna use high rep schemes anyways, so flyes fit right in.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

My delts are one of my best developed muscles looks wise and I only do OHP, bench, squat, lat pull downs, and dead lifts. I really think it's the dead lifts, I can really feel it in my lats and upper back the day after I do them and the delts connect that 400+ lb weight to them.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

hold on.. there was a tnation article about boulder shoulders recently....

good for a bit of a read and a laugh http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/cobra_traps_and_cannon_ball_delts

This article made me twitch. Behind the neck ANYTHING is a bad idea, and 12 minutes of deadlifts? Does this guy XFit or something ??

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

This article made me twitch. Behind the neck ANYTHING is a bad idea, and 12 minutes of deadlifts? Does this guy XFit or something ??

behind the neck things are only bad if you lack the mobility to do them comfortably and aren't being silly with them (i.e. smashing the bar down after BTN Press) otherwise it's generally ok as a mix up, i wouldn't use them as a mainstay tho (i find them useful as a light warmup to loosen up a bit)

Here's a little info on why BTN is generally avoided: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru26.htm

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

"You will be better off with crunches"

You have to remember, it's a body building article, in which case he's right if you are specifically trying to target the abs for muscular growth. Sit ups with your feet bracing you don't work the abs as much as they do the hip flexors. Weighted crunches and cable curl downs (or whatever they're called, I see tons of people doing them at the gym) do specifically target the abs.

500 / 330 / 625

Archived