Forums are back in action! ×

Barefoot workout?

Waltron

What do you guys think about working out barefoot? Mostly for squats, but I guess I might as well ask in general. Since I work out at home currently, I generally dont wear socks or shoes. Should I be?

I lifted for a year barefoot and have yet to drop anything on my feet.

I am currently trying to get used to lifting shoes, but that's because I may start going to a gym which will presumably not be cool with barefoot lifting.

Consider Vibrams?

Basically, the difference between lifting with shoes and lifting without is that shoes restrict your foot's range of motion. There is no reason to do this. It's not like a sneaker will protect your foot if an iron weight comes falling down on it. A sneaker will do next to nothing against that.

Don't work out in shoes if you can help it. Also, don't work out in socks. SLIPPERY IS BAD.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Consider Vibrams?

Basically, the difference between lifting with shoes and lifting without is that shoes restrict your foot's range of motion. There is no reason to do this. It's not like a sneaker will protect your foot if an iron weight comes falling down on it. A sneaker will do next to nothing against that.

Don't work out in shoes if you can help it. Also, don't work out in socks. SLIPPERY IS BAD.

I have tried on various kinds of toe-shoe type things in my area, but was unable to figure out if I liked them or not because the store only had one shoe of the pair out so I couldn't see what it felt like to do anything in two of them. (It was one of those large generic type stores and I didn't trust anyone there to have a clue about what style I needed, and I didn't have a clue, so...)

I ended up getting Nike Free Runs which have more heel support, but are meant to be flexible and claim to be reasonably close to barefoot running. I haven't used them enough to be able to tell if I like lifting in them more, less, or the same as lifting barefoot.

I lift at the gym now so I wear Chucks, but when I was still doing lighter weights at home I lifted barefoot all the time. I didn't see any real reason not to. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of dropping a heavy dumbbell on my foot, but like realbrickwall says, it's not like a quarter-inch of shoe material is really going to save you from injury.

Having said that, though, I have a pretty awful overpronation that started becoming more problematic as the weights I lifted became heavier. Even if I were lifting at home now, if I were lifting the same weights I'd still wear shoes because I can put corrective insoles in them. That's about the only reason I can think of to wear shoes if you're working out at home.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

Archived