Forums are back in action! ×

Starting over here

I guess my first post was in the wrong place so I'll start again from here.

I joined the NF forums about a month back but never really did anything but lurk until now.

A little background

I'm 25, married and I work as a manufacturing technician for a company that makes computer memory. I used to run all the time and was actually fairly fast back in high school but haven't kept with it at all. Two of my work friends have been doing about 1 triathlon a month and convinced me to join up for the next one they are doing. its a super beginner one only being 1/2 the distance of a sprint triathlon so I figured why not, it'd be the best place to start. Only issue is I have never done any training with biking or swimming. so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

My eventual goal is to get back up to the point I was at the end of high school. (5 minute mile, 16 minute 5k)

My short term goal is to not die in this short triathlon. it is 3 weeks away on September 3rd.

and I'd also like to GAIN WEIGHT!

Height is 6 foot nothing, and my weight as of 5 minutes ago was 128 lbs. Yeah I know I'm super lightweight. (I guess that would put me in the elf race??)

Going to start working towards my goals today starting with 10 push ups, 25 sit ups and a run each morning. I guess I'll see where it goes from there.

I'm excited to make friends and be a part of this community!

Edit: I feel like adding a little (maybe a lot) about my nerdyness since I see most other welcome posts have a bit of it. I grew up on Nintendo games. I had an NES as early as I can remember and got an SNES when I was 7. I saved up 100$ doing chores around the house for quarters to get an N64 when I was 11 (my dad paid for the last 50$). In elementry school I broke my left arm 4 times so I was inside playing video games all the time since I couldn't do a whole lot with a full arm cast on. But I could still use my thumbs! Eventually got into computer games and have been a fan of FPS games since Half Life and Counter Strike first came out. I do love MMOs but am not currently into any. played WoW for about 5 years and SWTOR for about 6 months and plan on playing again when it goes free to play this fall. Recently with video games I've been playing mostly console single player games like Skyrim or Cross Edge and have also been playing League of Legends off and on, on the computer. I do have a bi-weekly D&D group that I am a part of. Power hungry Elf Invoker! and I have recently been going to Magic the Gathering drafts ever Friday night.

I'm a huge otaku and love almost any anime or manga. I was a part of a manga scanlation group for nearly 2 years as a cleaner/typesetter. I mostly worked on Nagasarete Airantou but also helped with a few chapters of XBlade. I have a list of manga I want/need to read that is too long to list here. Currently I am just watching Sword Art Online and Oda Nobuna no Yabou. I started collecting anime figures a few years back to decorate my desk with. Still need to get new pics of my new Samus figure! Super Metroid was and still is the best game ever!

I guess that's all I'll add... too much?? I think I overpowered my original post with nerdyness

Welcome!

One of my friends is also trying to gain weight, so I might randomly stalk/check your progress to see how that goes xD

Phantom Adventurer/Monk-in-Training

STR: 2 || DEX: 2 || STA: 1 || CON: 3 || WIS: 4 || CHA: 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no crying in alien warfare.

Lemme just say that weight gain is the antithesis of MY goals, but NF is all about support and helping each other, no matter the goals, right?! RIGHT!

So I found this post from '09. There have been more recent articles posted, but this was the first one I found in a quick search. Hope this is helpful!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/08/03/13-tips-for-guaranteed-weight-gain-the-skinny-nerd-manifesto/

Porkins

Human Adventurer, Star Pilot, and Bacon Aficionado-(Lvl 3)
STR 4.5 | DEX 1.5 | STA 6.5 | CON 9 | WIS 1.75 | CHA 5.75

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try" ~Yoda/ Veritas vos liberabit

1, 2, Current Challenge

Hey man,

6 words: Lift big, Eat big, rest big.

At 6 foot, you have the great opportunity of being able to pack on quite a bit of weight. Tall frame and all that.

Unfortunately, long distance running/anything is close to the antithesis of weight gain, so you might have to look at combining some sprinting/interval style training to work on your endurance without burning through all the food you eat.

I don't know what you're current training schedule is like, but you need to make sure you're eating more than you are now, more protein is a good start. If you want to count, try to aim for 1-2grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day.

If you need more, hit up the Warriors or Tavern for strength and nutrition info :D

Welcome to the Rebellion.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Like somebody else said, eat a lot. 300-400 over your caloric maintenance. Not to say you should start counting calories, but eat every chance you can stomach it. I started at 6' and 139 pounds (I might not be 6ft, I might be 6'1 or 6'2. Either that or literally EVERY SINGLE man I know including my father lies about his height). The key is to just eat. You can do all the pushups and situps you want, lift all the weights you want. But if you don't eat enough you won't gain any muscle, the muscle you have will just become somewhat stronger (CNS quickening and all that). As a fellow skinny person who so far today has only eaten 2 hot dogs and a pound of cottage cheese, trying to eat over 2k calories a day is tiring and is a lot of major suckage. But it's the only way to gain muscle.

Neutral Good-High Elf Warrior

What we move is far less important than what moves us.

Razor's Three-Fortnight Challenge

Thanks everyone! This is all great stuff to know. I had been looking through the blogs for a while but I guess I didn't check back far enough.

Right now I don't really have any work out routine which is one reason I've joined the forum. I just work on a computer then come home and play games on the computer haha.

I just started my workouts today. sit ups and push ups so far.

eating is going to be tough for me since I hardly have 3 meals a day already.

Archived