Forums are back in action! ×

Want to feel strong for once

I'm a 25-year-old female software engineer, 5'6", around 155-165 lbs (I don't own a scale, so I'm not totally sure...). I've never been very active, but I've also never eaten too badly, so until the past couple years I never gained too much weight. In the past year (actually, the past 4 months) I got married, changed jobs, finished my MS, and moved halfway across the country. While concentrating on work and school and planning a wedding over the past 1-2 years, I let my diet slip a little and got heavier than I had ever been before - heavier than I was comfortable with.

Now that all my big life stuff is done, I finally have the time and energy to concentrate on getting my body healthy (and am actually feeling motivated to do so, which is unusual). I'm very weak, I can't even do a full modified (knees) push-up! I've never felt like my body was very good at anything, and I really want to change that. I want to get strong and have good cardiac endurance. It would be nice to look good and fit into a few size 6-8 dresses I have, but mostly it's about not feeling like a floppy, lazy, squishy weakling all the time.

Currently I'm in the first couple weeks of Power90. It's going okay - the cardio days are kicking my ass, and the circuit days are pretty easy, which I know means my weights are too light (fixing that this weekend). Once I'm done with that (and, hopefully, in reasonable shape) I'd like to try serious strength training. I've started counting calories using MyFitnessPal.com, which has opened my eyes a lot. I've been eating decently for years, but never paid much attention to how much I ate or how much alcohol I drank (oh, the hidden calories...). No soda or other sugary drinks, no fast food, plenty of vegetables, but also tons of cheese (mmm, cheeeeese) and tasty cocktails and simple carbs. I'm trying to cut way down on, or eliminate, anything that isn't a protein, produce, or "healthy" dairy (yogurt, small amounts of high-protein, low-fat cheeses).

I just moved to a new place where I only know my husband, who isn't so much into the exercise and super-healthy eating. I don't have a real-life community to keep me honest, so I turn to you, the internet community. You guys seem pretty laid-back and welcoming of n00bs... I hope you'll have some good advice for me as I progress!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loden: Aiel Spearmaiden Adventurer, Lvl 2

STR: 4 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge Thread | Fitocracy

Hi loden!

Like you, I have just joined the community and for the same reasons. While I am being attentive to my caloric intake and am becoming more active, having support is exponentially helpful! As far as the people here go, I think you are right. It is laid back but also goal oriented, which is exactly what I wanted too. I've been lurking for awhile and have am wanting to change my lifestyle. I believe that with the people here and the advice and community, that we can really reach our goals! Good luck and know that you have friends here. :]

Level 1 Half-Elf Ranger

STR: 2 CON: 1.5 DEX: 3 STA: 1.5 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Challenge!!

If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

allo!

i know whats its like to be in a situation where you dont really know anyone in your RL community! hope you find it helpfull to be around here as i have (after lurking for like a week)

LVL-1 adventurer

aspiring to be a warrior/monk/assassin

Str: 3 | Dex: 3 | Sta: 2 | Con:2 | Wis:1 | Cha: 4

"Courage takes many forms. There is physical courage, there is moral courage. Then there is a still higher type of courage--the courage to brave pain, to live with it, to never let others know of it and to still find joy in life; to wake up in the morning with an enthusiasm for the day ahead.â€

Thanks! I decided to do P90 because I was intrigued by P90X, but kept hearing that it was for people who were in decent shape and wanted to get in great shape, not people in terrible shape who wanted to get off the couch. P90 seemed like a good way to work up to being able to attempt P90X. Not 100% sure I still want to do that, though - luckily, I have a few months to decide!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loden: Aiel Spearmaiden Adventurer, Lvl 2

STR: 4 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge Thread | Fitocracy

in some ways ive liked insanity better than p90x but thats because it doesnt need and extra equipment but theres some jumping stuff involved so you have to remember to be nice to your knees! (if there bad and been abused liek mine) but anyway welcome!

LVL-1 adventurer

aspiring to be a warrior/monk/assassin

Str: 3 | Dex: 3 | Sta: 2 | Con:2 | Wis:1 | Cha: 4

"Courage takes many forms. There is physical courage, there is moral courage. Then there is a still higher type of courage--the courage to brave pain, to live with it, to never let others know of it and to still find joy in life; to wake up in the morning with an enthusiasm for the day ahead.â€

Archived