Forums are back in action! ×

Barefoot Running Series by Anivair

Anivair

I'm doing a series on Barefoot Running over on my blog. I know about half as much as I should on the subject, but I will cover a lot of material and I'd love feedback from those who know more. If anyone is interested, it should be going for a few weeks on Mondays. Here's a link to the first bit as well as a trailer:

[h=1]Barefoot Running Part 1: The Story of Running[/h]

I’m about to do a long series (long for me) on barefoot running. I’ll cover the topic in as much detail as I can muster. To begin with, though, I’m going to talk about “runningâ€. See, there’s really no need to talk about “minimalist†or “barefoot†when you say running. That’s the way everyone in the world ran from about 2+ million years ago until about 1974 or so. And it’s still how most people in the world run in the absence of expensive shoes. And in countries where we can stand to look at babies feet without things on them (babies in America wear shoes before they can walk …. think about the absurdity of that). On top of that, it’s how every other species on earth runs the vast majority of the time. We don’t make shoes for wolves or cheetahs. We DO make shoes for horses, but bear in mind that these a) have NO support or cushion b: are really only in place to stop hooves from splitting and c: are becoming very controversial among riders who favor a more natural style of health.

So we will begin with running. I’m going to tell you the story of running starting with the invention of running (hint, there was no “invention†but I’ll start with the evolutionary shift) and moving right up through Jessie Owens, Oscar Pistorius, and Forest Gump (not to Mention Barefoot Ted and Barefoot Ken).

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

I grinned at the mention of horse shoes. As a rider, it was the research that I did into natural trimming and the barefoot movement in horses that led me to barefoot running. The more I learned about the way my horse's foot naturally worked and how shoes were inhibiting that, the more I thought "I wonder if this has any carry over to my own feet..."

I can happily say that both my horse and I are barefoot and happier and sounder than ever :) Looking forward to your series!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

I've kinda been backing off the barefoot running lately. I don't think we evolved to run the natural way on unnatural surfaces like concrete. Even harder dirt has some give. I think it has contributed to some of my injuries. Now I run in Vibrams only on the treadmill and have a pair of minimal rise shoes to run in that still have some cushion to make up for the lack of give in concrete. Are you going to address the in your series?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've kinda been backing off the barefoot running lately. I don't think we evolved to run the natural way on unnatural surfaces like concrete. Even harder dirt has some give. I think it has contributed to some of my injuries. Now I run in Vibrams only on the treadmill and have a pair of minimal rise shoes to run in that still have some cushion to make up for the lack of give in concrete. Are you going to address the in your series?

I will certainly address it. I think it's a common enough concern that it's worth talking about. Probably the 3rd or 4th article.

Most of my good barefoot experience is in trails at parks and the like. Barefoot on sidewalks seems to be hot and exhausting for me. I would consider it an advanced option. I agree that it can be rough terrain (and to be honest, it's also difficult because it gives very little feedback so it's easy to sleepwalk it). Not ideal. I do sidewalks in vibrams, myself.

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

So far I do fine running on sidewalks. I like to pretend that I'm a Native American running across giant granite boulders (natural analog to concrete). It is definitely a high skill surface, but I don't know that your body isn't made for it.

Or maybe because I'm a bit of a lightweight I've just gotten lucky. I know that a little extra weight can add quite a bit of extra stress on the joints.

anyway, good topc, and have fun with the series...

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Part 2 just went live:

[h=1]Barefoot Running Part 2: the Biology of Running and Hunting[/h]I hope folks are at least marginally interested. This week we talk about the physiology and evolutionary history of running and talk a bit about form. Next week I'll be talking more about form, how to get from plodding in shoes to treading in bare feet or minimalist shoes, and some common pitfalls of barefoot running.

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Also, in case anyone wants to jump on my site and start trolling the forums I just set up, here's your chance. There's even a forum just for trolling!

that said, I know you all get most of your forum on here and you should certain continue that trend. Cause NerdFitness makes for the win.

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

I, myself, have flat feet and it has been working well for me. My feet are stronger now than ever and I am at the point where I can flex my arches, even if they don't "work" yet. there's hope for us. Expect a real barefoot post next week, but this week I was all about the Labor Day holiday.

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Archived