Forums are back in action! ×

GoRuck Challenge - Anyone ever done one?

cline

ok, after doing a little more research and asking around I found you could have the bricks be separate... so I got 6 more bricks LOL... I still have my brick wall. I'm gonna fiddle with both as I train.

apparently I can't show the pics again... like I can't show pics in my sig LOL.. buggy forum.

http://smphotographystudios.com/personal/sepbrick1.JPG

http://smphotographystudios.com/personal/sepbrick2.JPG

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

got my GR1 today, didn't get a chance to go out jogging/marching with it as I was out late and went to the rock gym with a buddy. Came home and packed in my 37.8lb brick wall(6 blocks) plus 4 more blocks for a combined weight of 61.8lbs... I walked up and down a few stairs, walked around and got down and did some push ups and it actually held up VERY well, they are not bsing about the quality of this pack. over all i'm excited to wear it as much as possible and make it an extension of myself.

so here are some pics of my gr1 with the brick wall +4 bricks. again I can't seem to show the pics directly, it either doesn't allow me or when I turn off retrieve remote file it shows the picture in gigantic proportions... dang forums.

http://smphotographystudios.com/personal/packpacked.JPG

http://smphotographystudios.com/personal/packpacked2.JPG

With it fully packed with the 10 bricks there isn't much room for anything else.. when I took the 4 extra out you can see that there is definitely extra room to put stuff you'll need for the goruck challenge. Over all I'm happy. I could of probably got bigger bags for half the price, but the quality would not of been up to par with this. It also fits very well on my back and tightens up quickly. It does not feel loose or wiggly when it's on my back. I'm already looking for some molle packs to attach to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

got my GR1 today, didn't get a chance to go out jogging/marching with it as I was out late and went to the rock gym with a buddy. Came home and packed in my 37.8lb brick wall(6 blocks) plus 4 more blocks for a combined weight of 61.8lbs... I walked up and down a few stairs, walked around and got down and did some push ups and it actually held up VERY well, they are not bsing about the quality of this pack. over all i'm excited to wear it as much as possible and make it an extension of myself.

so here are some pics of my gr1 with the brick wall +4 bricks. again I can't seem to show the pics directly, it either doesn't allow me or when I turn off retrieve remote file it shows the picture in gigantic proportions... dang forums.

http://smphotographystudios.com/personal/packpacked.JPG

http://smphotographystudios.com/personal/packpacked2.JPG

With it fully packed with the 10 bricks there isn't much room for anything else.. when I took the 4 extra out you can see that there is definitely extra room to put stuff you'll need for the goruck challenge. Over all I'm happy. I could of probably got bigger bags for half the price, but the quality would not of been up to par with this. It also fits very well on my back and tightens up quickly. It does not feel loose or wiggly when it's on my back. I'm already looking for some molle packs to attach to it.

Awesome! I think I'm going to order mine in about 2 weeks. I can't wait. My challenge won't be until March of next year, but I want to get this bag and start training earlier rather than later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

Wow, this thread is pretty inspiring! I'm in NYC, but I really doubt I'd be ready to do this by next March or April (I'm basically starting from scratch right now - I'm still doing the beginner body weight work out!). Still, this is definitely something for me to aspire to in the future. Thanks!

did a 2.5 mile inaugural barefoot jog with my GR1 today with the 37.8 lbs of bricks and some water. Finished in 35.35, not too far behind my normal time without the backpack. It was 87 Degrees.

It felt good, pack didn't give me any issues, I definitely felt the extra weight in my barefoot running form and stride, and for the first time ever barefooting my right calf actually ached during the run, seems fine now though.

one thing I've noticed is that wearing the pack for a time sort of pushes your posture forward, like your leaning forward, also fully tightened up it can really tighten up the neck area after a while. I'm going between worrying about it hurting my back or thinking it will help me get stronger if I wear the pack and weight very often.. not sure either way lol.

I'm looking into getting a good hydration pouch.. any suggestions?

Wow, this thread is pretty inspiring! I'm in NYC, but I really doubt I'd be ready to do this by next March or April (I'm basically starting from scratch right now - I'm still doing the beginner body weight work out!). Still, this is definitely something for me to aspire to in the future. Thanks!

keep training and in the future when you are ready I'd do it with you!.. if I survive my first one anyways.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

keep training and in the future when you are ready I'd do it with you!.. if I survive my first one anyways.

Yes! This will be good motivation for me. I find I'm much better about training when I have a defined goal in mind. Good luck on yours (though it sounds like you're already well prepared)!

I'm looking into getting a good hydration pouch.. any suggestions?

Source Hydration is really good. Very solid, no leaks, easy to fill and clean, and no funky smell or taste. I don't really like standard hydration bladders in the dedicated sleeve/compartment, personally. Doesn't feel right. But Source makes a "low profile" that GRHQ endorses, which, I assume, is maybe wider so it lays flatter while filled? Not sure, but might be worth checking out. But I've been happy with my standard Source, I just rig it to the interior MOLLE in the main compartment if I'm using it.

And, again, bring an extra mouthpiece. Just in case. 99% of the time you won't need it, but then there's people with luck like mine! ;)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Oh more words of wisdom from Knight! Thanks I'm looking into source now.

I want to have all of this stuff tested and figured all of this stuff out by challenge time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm aiming for the NYC challenge on 6/7/13. I'm a beginner Crossfitter myself but I figure I have 8+ months to train for this. I'm probably too naive about this, but I'm too excited to care. I've already started trail running and will start loading up my backpack this weekend. I also practiced carrying my 10-year old son on my shoulders....he thinks I'm crazy but that's why I'm such an awesome mom :) I like working out, but it turns out I LOVE trail running. When I have the funds to spare, I'll order the GR1 so I can start practicing with the real thing.

RandomWanderer, Cline, KnightWatch, everyone in this thread, you guys are all studs. I am so impressed with your hardcore badassness. Seriously.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Amazon Adventurer

My Intro |Current Challenge|Battle Log

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

I'm aiming for the NYC challenge on 6/7/13. I'm a beginner Crossfitter myself but I figure I have 8+ months to train for this. I'm probably too naive about this, but I'm too excited to care. I've already started trail running and will start loading up my backpack this weekend. I also practiced carrying my 10-year old son on my shoulders....he thinks I'm crazy but that's why I'm such an awesome mom :) I like working out, but it turns out I LOVE trail running. When I have the funds to spare, I'll order the GR1 so I can start practicing with the real thing.

RandomWanderer, Cline, KnightWatch, everyone in this thread, you guys are all studs. I am so impressed with your hardcore badassness. Seriously.

LOL!!! I practiced with my full pack and my 80lb 8yo nephew fireman carry... Good to see I'm not the only one exploiting the youngsters haha.

He loved it btw.

And I love trail running as well, I'm going into the wilderness of Vermont this weekend to do some woods hiking and camping, break in my gr1!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I like working out, but it turns out I LOVE trail running.

Oh me too! Hate pavement running. But the goruck is heavy pavement pounding....

I'm a stud! Guess we know what I'm gonna be rucking....

NYC in June is a possibility.....

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Source Hydration is really good. Very solid, no leaks, easy to fill and clean, and no funky smell or taste. I don't really like standard hydration bladders in the dedicated sleeve/compartment, personally. Doesn't feel right. But Source makes a "low profile" that GRHQ endorses, which, I assume, is maybe wider so it lays flatter while filled? Not sure, but might be worth checking out. But I've been happy with my standard Source, I just rig it to the interior MOLLE in the main compartment if I'm using it.

And, again, bring an extra mouthpiece. Just in case. 99% of the time you won't need it, but then there's people with luck like mine! ;)

ok I purchased the 100oz low profile from source, had no idea the company is in Israel LOL.. the shipping cost half the price of the reservoir. I had also bought a camelbak 100oz before... so I'll have two to test.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok I purchased the 100oz low profile from source, had no idea the company is in Israel LOL.. the shipping cost half the price of the reservoir. I had also bought a camelbak 100oz before... so I'll have two to test.

Ouch! Yeah, I just got mine through Amazon and I have Prime, so shipping wasn't an issue. I also have a Camblebak, and have found it to be fine as well, just a bit harder to clean and whatnot. Now I use one for rucking/hiking/GR stuff, and held on to the other for a bugout bag.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

Just thought I'd put this out there, because, well, it's so good.

http://www.gorucknews.com/selection/selection-class-000-part-2-priorities-of-work-st-augustine-florida/

Now, don't panic, the Challenge is nothing like Selection. Selection is an alumni-only event, and the most extreme event they offer. So much so, that the highlights they show here was for all intents and purposes a trial run, Class 000, each participant hand-picked by the Cadre as folks that have done multiple prior Challenges and had really distinguished themselves.

So yeah, don't worry. Your Challenge won't be this.

But still, there is much good advise to be found, and it'll help you to understand the "tone" of GoRuck in general.

When life is extremely difficult and you wish something would change, focus on the immediate and do what you gotta do to get through it. Do not start wondering how long this will go on. Do not start bargaining with yourself — meaning, don’t say something to the effect of If this doesn’t end in 2 minutes, I’m done. Never bargain with yourself like that or else exactly what you don’t want to happen will happen. And then you’ll feel justified to walk away. All things come to an end, sometimes you just gotta ride out life’s toughest moments to get to a better place.

Just thought I'd put this out there, because, well, it's so good.

http://www.gorucknews.com/selection/selection-class-000-part-2-priorities-of-work-st-augustine-florida/

When life is extremely difficult and you wish something would change, focus on the immediate and do what you gotta do to get through it. Do not start wondering how long this will go on. Do not start bargaining with yourself — meaning, don’t say something to the effect of If this doesn’t end in 2 minutes, I’m done. Never bargain with yourself like that or else exactly what you don’t want to happen will happen. And then you’ll feel justified to walk away. All things come to an end, sometimes you just gotta ride out life’s toughest moments to get to a better place.

This is really awesome. Seems like the mentality I am really seeking support in developing. For me this is less about the physical and really about the mental and the teamwork.

BTW - for everyone else - check out how to properly wear a backpack (there are a ton of sites out there) - most Americans wear them too low and don't wear the straps properly AND forget the chest strap (I can't tell if the Rucks have a chest strap). This makes a HUGE difference in long hikes/treks and even day to day with weight.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I got the email with that link knight... I thought it was about real selection lol, haven't gotten to read it yet.

And Cline the gorucks don't have chest and waist straps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got the email with that link knight... I thought it was about real selection lol, haven't gotten to read it yet.

And Cline the gorucks don't have chest and waist straps.

Oooh.. Bummer those really help stabilize a load when you hike. Hmmmm... Going to the hardware store this weekend. Plan is to get two trial bricks to test this idea.

I AM going the distance

Oooh.. Bummer those really help stabilize a load when you hike. Hmmmm... Going to the hardware store this weekend. Plan is to get two trial bricks to test this idea.

yeah it can definitely drag down your back from what I've experienced in jogging with the bricks so far, even with the arm straps tightened as far as they can go, although honestly I'm sure thats because there is 40lbs of loose brick LOL.. I'm gonna rig up some sort of system to put some of the bricks in the inside molle straps I think, something like that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know a lot of folks like to add a sternum strap to their GRs, which can be bought pretty readily at an EMS or REI or other such backpacking stores.

The hip strap would be a bit harder, but I know folks have rigged things up with the side MOLLE. Jason from GRHQ has always said that he wants to keep the bags as streamlined and simple as possible, allowing you to add to it as you see fit, which is why they don't have a lot of interior mini pockets and admin panels and the like. The reasons there's no hip strap as it comes is, 1) they really do mold to you body as well as any pack I've used, at least in a daypack type capacity; 2) traveling light and fast was a premium in his prior life in SpecOps, so you'll be less likely to overpack if you know you've got to lug it yourself; and 3) again, going back to his SpecOps background, hip belts don't really integrate with the rest of their systems. He built what he knew. :D

Again, if you'd rather use a non-GR pack, they're OK with that these days. Used to be you had to use one of theirs, even if it was a loaner from HQ, as the original Challenges were to be proving grounds for their gear. Now, though, they allow you to use anything. Just a reminder! :)

So. There's this thing, Ruck Across America.

http://ruckacrossamerica.com/about-raa/

Basically, Challenge alumni are taking a single GR1 all across the country and back to raise money for the Green Beret Foundation. I kinda threw my name out there, figuring I'd help out if I could, grab it for a couple miles through Boston or something. There are a lot of us in this area, so, y'know, more than enough hands.

Well, it's passing through this weekend, on the way to NYC for 9/11.. Holiday weekend. Everyone seems to be gone.

D'oh.

So, looks like me and one other are gonna be hauling this sucker 30-ish miles this Sunday. Oof.

I mean, it's not a Challenge type thing, just straight rucking (though, I assure you, I reckon we'll be hitting some PT on a beach or two along the way!). But still, this is gonna be a loooooong day.

GOOD LIVIN'!

You are going to rock it!!!!

You will be our hero!!

I AM going the distance

Good luck Knight! Make us proud. I want to be a part of that when I'm an alum!

Btw I've given up my briefcase for my GR1, so it's with me all day every day! Driving to vermont this weekend for camping and hiking, gonna break it in ;p

[ATTACH]5265[/ATTACH]

Ive never been this attached to a pack before .... I love this thing. It is so worth the purchase.

post-7922-13567244811283_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Men walking around in GR1's instead of briefcases would be a damn sexy sight ;)

I work with 100 women, haven't had any comments yet. But thanks ;).

Here's me deep in the woods on top of a mountain in Vermont this morning with my GR1. I did about 3 miles worth of mountain hiking including going ok a steep incline about 250 feet hugging the dirt. The GR1 is definitely fitting better with use, it's a hell of a pack.

[ATTACH]5275[/ATTACH]

Knights doing his 30 mile rucking today. Post son Knight about your adventure!

post-7922-1356724481338_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived