Forums are back in action! ×

GoRuck Challenge - Anyone ever done one?

cline

Well it's official. Signed up for Jan. 2013. I am gonna freeze my butt off.

ain't nothing like good livin in the winter time! I'm doing mine the month after.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Well it's official. Signed up for Jan. 2013. I am gonna freeze my butt off.

dallas?

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Nightlight: what about Philly or dc in march?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Nightlight: what about Philly or dc in march?

i don't know if i could do two back to back... lemmie think on it.

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

D'oh! I forgot about Cali. Not good to do two so close. Don't want to lose the special (and want to recuperate).

Maybe one in the fall on the east coast???? Amtrak accessible? Nerds - let's hear it.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Knight can you talk about brick placement in the pack? Im Thinking of trying to rig up something to put two bricks on the inner molle.

I've found just from my brief training with the bricks that having a pile of bricks at the bottom sagging just doesn't work well on my back posture.

Sure. I'm working a double today, but tomorrow I'll try taking some pics of my set up and some tips I've picked up along the way.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Sure. I'm working a double today, but tomorrow I'll try taking some pics of my set up and some tips I've picked up along the way.

Thanks, I'll get to implement the advice in my first challenge training this Saturday with someone else taking the challenge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

Thanks, I'll get to implement the advice in my first challenge training this Saturday with someone else taking the challenge.

I'm soooo excited to hear!!! I'll be at an event with a GoRuck tent and group. I will be stopping by.

I AM going the distance

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5437[/ATTACH]

ok.... so this is the setup I rigged up for my 6 bricks for my run tomorrow.. I put the bag on and already it feels better then 6 bricks sagging me down. We are gonna do just a few miles with our gorucks and bricks at a park outside of Trenton called "Veterans Park"... we felt that was fitting.

as you can see.. I have 2 bricks in the netted compartment on the front end of the pack.. plus two bricks in the inside compartment( goes to show you how wicked these bags are that you can fit two big ass paver bricks in these compartments) and I have two strapped up to the MOLLE system up top.

post-7922-13567244922431_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm official. Philly in June!!!!!! I can't wait. The GoRuck team at CMC looked AWESOME (and looked like they were having a great time).

We should move this thread to a better location - suggestions?

I AM going the distance

I'm official. Philly in June!!!!!! I can't wait. The GoRuck team at CMC looked AWESOME (and looked like they were having a great time).

June eh? I may join you then, we will see after my challenge.

I did my first ruck run with my fellow challenger this weekend. Running barefoot with 50lbs on my back really cramped up my left calf after about 3 miles. I don't think I've been barefooting long enough for my calfs to be that strong.

It also brings up a concern that may lead me to just doing it in sneakers, last thing I need is for my calves to crap after only an hour or two with 9 more to go. I'm sure using my VFF would provide similar results.

Either way it was great to meet Eric and now we plan on doing regular runs in preparation for the challenge. Going to maybe do a NYC run with two other guys from the city who are also in our class.

And PS the brick placement setup worked pretty well, I didn't feel too sagged down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

june, you say....

hmmm.....

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

June!!!! won't be too cold won't be too cold.

I AM going the distance

I did my first ruck run with my fellow challenger this weekend. Running barefoot with 50lbs on my back really cramped up my left calf after about 3 miles. I don't think I've been barefooting long enough for my calfs to be that strong.

How long did it take you to run 3 miles all rucked up?

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

How long did it take you to run 3 miles all rucked up?

Somewhere under 40 minutes. I was driving away at an hour after we talked for at least 10 and I had to walk the last part of t due to my cramp.

I had my 100oz hydration bladder and was doing fine, could of went at least double that amount if we had the time and I didn't cramp. It feels heavy at first but as the miles roll by you get use to it and just push forward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Random, I cannot emphasize how much you should wear normal, comfortable sneakers for the Challenge. Barefoot running is great (I don't do it, but friends swear by it) when you are moving just you around. Adding ~40lbs of weight on your back significantly changes the weight distribution on your feet, which will lead to injury. The most common reason people don't complete the challenge is due to their feet, and the Cadre all say they typically are wearing minimalist type shoes.

Half-Elf, Half-Dwarf Ranger

Level: 4 STR: 10.5 DEX: 6 STA: 11 CON: 5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

Height: 5'9" Weight: 175lbs Age: 25

"Under Promise, Over Deliver"

Random, I cannot emphasize how much you should wear normal, comfortable sneakers for the Challenge. Barefoot running is great (I don't do it, but friends swear by it) when you are moving just you around. Adding ~40lbs of weight on your back significantly changes the weight distribution on your feet, which will lead to injury. The most common reason people don't complete the challenge is due to their feet, and the Cadre all say they typically are wearing minimalist type shoes.

Right now the plan is at least to have a pair of sneakers with me just in case, but if it changes that's fine.

That being said I will still continue to train barefoot regardless as I normally run barefoot. The stronger my feet and legs get the better and the benefits work no matter if I'm barefoot or whatever type of shoe I have on.

Like I said though I will not do anything that will hurt or delay the team. I have 5 months to work out what ill be doing.

I still wish we wore boots for the challenge lol.. Wearing sneakers doesn't seem to fit the situation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can wear boots, part of the challenge is bringing whatever you think you will need. I will say though, Gypsy bags are no fun, anything in your bag that can get wet, will get wet. Go light and lean, you don't need nearly as much as you think.

For training, I wouldn't worry about speed of short runs or anything like that. The most important thing is time under weight while moving. So make sure you have a couple of 4-5+ hour rucks, regardless of distance. You'll only run as fast as your slowest member, which probably won't be you. Having the weight on your shoulders for hours on end really does a number on your shoulders and hips.

Half-Elf, Half-Dwarf Ranger

Level: 4 STR: 10.5 DEX: 6 STA: 11 CON: 5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

Height: 5'9" Weight: 175lbs Age: 25

"Under Promise, Over Deliver"

Well I'll be wearing sneakers. Probably pink ones.... Lol may the mocking begin

I AM going the distance

Well I'll be wearing sneakers. Probably pink ones.... Lol may the mocking begin

Embroidered with ponies and tassels for laces? Because I'd where those :D

[/mocking]

I don't own tennis shoes. And haven't for 3 years. I'll have to see how my feet do after some practice rucks.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Not ponies... Unicorns

*sniff*

And kittens

I AM going the distance

Embroidered with ponies and tassels for laces? Because I'd where those :D

[/mocking]

I don't own tennis shoes. And haven't for 3 years. I'll have to see how my feet do after some practice rucks.

i wish i could get chacos in sneaker form. those would be PERFECT.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Archived