Forums are back in action! ×

Halloween

Evicious

Yes, I know there's still two months to go until it's actually time to celebrate. But I haven't had a REAL Halloween for 4 straight years, and that is NOT happening again! I WILL go to a costume party and I WILL get to wear a costume this time! And I am going to be the hottest, deadliest pirate queen ev-ah, thanks in no small part to all the motivation I've had from being part of NF.

Besides, anyone who's planning seriously about Halloween ought to be looking at buying their costume/props/etc now-ish anyway. Anyone else this excited about getting to play dress-up?

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Guest Alpha Bookworm

ME!!!

I've been doing my own costumes for a few years now. Last two years I was a Mandalorian from Star Wars. This year I'm thinking Steampunk Pirate Captain or an Elven Warrior from LOTR the Two Towers. (Would prefer the elf, but it'll be tough if I want to build from scratch in 2 months. Definately doing this for the Hobbit release though.)

Good luck on your costume, they can be a lot of work (but totally worth it). :)

My girlfriend and I are going as Dr. and Mrs. Tobias Fünke.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

I love Hallowe'en! I think it's the goth in me that enjoys it.

I just haven't found a crowd yet that really enjoys dressing up for its own sake, but maybe I should do it regardless.

What would you count as a real Hallowe'en? Most people I know just throw a costume party, pre-drink and then go out to clubs (which isn't really me).

I don't think I've had a real one in a while either, other than pulling black stuff out of my closet and dressing as a goth (mostly my actual wardrobe).

Can't wait for Hallowe'en! I'm excited now.

DylanAilDon, I think a REAL Halloween consists of awesome costumes, great food, drinks, decorations, spooky movies, and at least one game of Charades. ^_^ The location isn't as important as the company, obviously: but I do prefer smaller parties with close friends and maybe some friends-of-friends to meet 'n' greet. Mostly though, it's about the fun - Halloween isn't supposed to be serious on any level, so the crazier the better!

Keep up the momentum!

I need to start working on my costume asap, a few friends of mine are making suits of armour out of beer caps, but I've opted not to go this route due to the volume of beer I would need to drink in order to get enough caps. However, I do want to upstage the group of them.

This too, shall pass.

I'm actually going to be at a conference over Halloween this year... I'm sure there will be some sort of "festivity" in the evening, but I want to dress up during the day while we're going to sessions and meetings. I need to find some mix of professional and fun costume that I can make on the cheap between now and then...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

DylanAilDon, I think a REAL Halloween consists of awesome costumes, great food, drinks, decorations, spooky movies, and at least one game of Charades. ^_^ The location isn't as important as the company, obviously: but I do prefer smaller parties with close friends and maybe some friends-of-friends to meet 'n' greet. Mostly though, it's about the fun - Halloween isn't supposed to be serious on any level, so the crazier the better!

Your vision of Hallowe'en... I could not agree more!

Sadly the past few Halloweens have been far less fun (other than that one Halloween I went to see a live production of Rocky Horror), as most of them were essentially university student parties (aka drinking games, drinking, clubbing and not much else...), sadly not my scene. So I may have to have my own! *Begins Planning*

And now I need to assemble costumes/outfits for Halloween, A Con (End of October), and a big Swing Dance event (November). I better get on that.

For a few years I've had a notion to dress as a Companion Cube (gray with pink hearts) and carry a Chell doll. I'd like to be a princess robot, but cardboard armor is kind of time-consuming to make and awkward to wear. So haven't decided yet.

If all else fails, I've got a few old outfits from cons and nerd events lurking about the place.

Also I have absolutely nowhere to go and no one to go with ... but I suppose that's a secondary problem...

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

This thread needs to be updated with pictures post-Halloween!

The wife and I started planning our costumes... the day after Halloween 2011! We always go as a duo of some sort, but this year, with the addition of our son, we're costuming for three. Don't tell anyone, but we may have had the kid just to have cooler Halloween options. ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Love Halloween; I don't think people could tell from my tattoo's lol

I like scaring the crap out of people, so I always do a haunted grave yard in a my front yard. I've been an Orc from the LOTR for the last few years, I think this year I'm going to work on a creepy scare crow costume; just having little kids means I have to make sure it's not to creepy lol

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I went to a masquerade one year put on by a dance school, I was Cinderella with a mask and ballgown (I have an old bridesmaids dress like looks like a more grownup Disney princess). I also dress up for the Ren Faire in the spring when its not raining, and for the anime con. Halloween, honestly I am usually in a festive shirt and witches hat trick or treating with the little ones. Maybe I will dress up this year to take them around. The kids want me to, but they want me to trick or treat so they can get my candy, lol

Surprise surprise, I usually go as my Klingon alter-ego for Halloween. If I go, haven't had the opp last few. I'm thinking of making an 80s G.I.Joe costume, either Flint or Bazooka, which would serve me at conventions as well.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

This is how I like to roll for Halloween :P.. there use to be a time where I did medieval fighting and had a good excuse to wear my armor and garb(and a real cloak) back in the day.. but now I'm old and that stuff is relegated to Halloween LOL.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5353[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5354[/ATTACH]

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

That's amazing.

I'm trying to get my boyfriend to do a costume with me this year. I'm not sure what it'll be yet but I know it has to be nerdy. As long as I look hot I'm fine.

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

I will be wearing this: (Link, since I can't seem to get the picture to post)

Along with this

And these

And this will be my belt

:topsy_turvy:

Both good sites to find costumes (or just statement pieces for your wardrobe), btw.

Keep up the momentum!

Which outfits, Josh_C?

I've got a few pieces, just not sure in which direction I want to take them yet.

For others looking for inspiration, check out this costume of the Blink angels from Doctor Who-fracking amazing! And scary to boot!

Holy crap, Kuiken!!! That's a phenomenal idea! And I am highly impressed with that girl's creativity: she's a frackin' genius.

I'm trying to get my boyfriend to do a costume with me this year. I'm not sure what it'll be yet but I know it has to be nerdy. As long as I look hot I'm fine.

Smazzon1, nerd girl like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LjRNztVFf6s/TMdJ8FSEXHI/AAAAAAAAALY/2gViXSSNx24/s1600/bloggggcostume.jpg or like this: http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/nerd-actresses-7.jpg? Glasses are so much cheaper than a whole Princess Leia costume, but I don't know too many guys that would argue which is nerdier. :-P Either way, you'll look awesome.

Keep up the momentum!

This is how I like to roll for Halloween :P.. there use to be a time where I did medieval fighting and had a good excuse to wear my armor and garb(and a real cloak) back in the day.. but now I'm old and that stuff is relegated to Halloween LOL.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5353[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5354[/ATTACH]

Pure awesome ^_^ AND you get to brag that Halloween is just a memorial for the days when your gear really DID see battle - tell that to the little kiddies and see how many new admirers you make!

Keep up the momentum!

My wife and I got married on Halloween too. It was a modified Klingon wedding ceremony. Yes we were in costume. I had my uniform and she wore a traditional human wedding dress w/ her headpiece. We used the text from Worf & Dax's wedding on DS9.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I got married on Halloween! I love it!
My wife and I got married on Halloween too.

Awesome! If ever I get married, I really want to do it on Halloween.

Anyways...

I've finally figured out what I want to be, and I hope to pull it off rather nicely: A broken automata with a Steampunk influence.

This one has taken inspiration from a few places, so I'll just post links that will show what I mean:

Face Make-up: the Devil's Carnival character called the Painted Doll -> http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/the-painted-doll

Body/Joints: The Van Rijn Muses (a set of humanoid "clanks") from the webcomic Girl Genius

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20050923 *also subsequent pages* (Moxana - one of the Muses)

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20051104 (Anevka - based on Van Rijn's design)

Clothes: The hard part. It'll likely be a simple, victorian inspired style. I don't know much about how to set up a basic, cheap steampunk-inspired style.

Any suggestions on how to pull it off?

Archived