Forums are back in action! ×

Mud runs for non-runners

LordOfTime

Hey guys, there's a relatively local mud run coming up at the end of September that I want to do, and I was wondering if I should do any extra preparation for the running aspect of the course? It's 5k, with 16 obstacles. I'm making good progress with my strength training, but my running has always been a weak point. Any mud-runners have any suggestions?

Level 3 Timelord Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 10 | DEX: 7 | STA: 11.5 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 5.75 | CHA: 2.25

Challenge

1 2 3

"The thing is, Adam, time travel is like visiting Paris. You can't just read the guide book. You've got to throw yourself in, eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double and end up kissing complete strangers - or is that just me? Stop asking questions. Go and do it!"

"Don't ever judge me by your standards."

You'll probably just run short distances. Be able to do a 1/4 decently paced jog and you should have fun. Do a1/4 mi run and you'll be competitive.

when I was prepping for my first one, I did quarter mi then some strength stuff, repeat, etc.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

my experience for a mud run, unless you get past everyone is this... jog a bit.. wait in line at an obstacle.. jog a bit, wait in line at another obstacle.. wait in line again.. wait in line again LOL.

the mudrun I did two weeks ago i came in 240 out of 780ish, so I didn't have to do much waiting. I also didn't run at all. I started dead last and jogged the whole way while people were sprinting and stopping, sprinting and stopping. I'm doing another mud run again in two weeks, this time with a team, I'm the most fit of everyone so for me it will be just a fun little jog/walk with team members, helping each other over obstacles and stuff. You don't need to make it a competitive thing.

take it easy, go at your own pace, don't over do it.. .. take the extra time to get really down in the mud and get extra muddy, don't wimp out on that.. get down in the mud and crawl while everyone else runs like wussies :P ! oh and most of all HAVE FUN...thats all you need to worry about.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

I ran the Run for your Lives 5K/obstacle run last weekend, or really should say walked it. Still had a good time even though I only actually ran when in immediate danger of losing my brains to the undead. I think as long as you go with the attitude of finishing being more important than time you can have a good time.

I ran the Run for your Lives 5K/obstacle run last weekend, or really should say walked it. Still had a good time even though I only actually ran when in immediate danger of losing my brains to the undead. I think as long as you go with the attitude of finishing being more important than time you can have a good time.

Did you finish as one of the living??? I'm doing on in October and have convinced spousal unit to run zombie interference for me...

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

No, but I stayed alive for over 2/3 of the course, which is better than I expected to do. Then I ran interference for other runners, that is a huge help-very nice of your spouse to volunteer as zombie bait for you :) It was a really good time, good luck and let us know how you do

Holy crap a run where people are zombies and try to take you out???? I'm so for that. It's just usually called " run for your life " ?

Also remember rule #1 : cardio

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

You're doing the MD race? Me too =)

YEA!!! ZOMBIE meetup! We'll have to plan for a photo.

I AM going the distance

No, but I stayed alive for over 2/3 of the course, which is better than I expected to do. Then I ran interference for other runners, that is a huge help-very nice of your spouse to volunteer as zombie bait for you :) It was a really good time, good luck and let us know how you do

2/3 of the course is really good! I really want to be alive at the end. I don't care about time just being alive.... I can't wait!

I AM going the distance

Holy crap a run where people are zombies and try to take you out???? I'm so for that. It's just usually called " run for your life " ?

Also remember rule #1 : cardio

Yes! You should do the MD one! Will be a hoot.

And the cardio - I always dispute that and believe rule # 1 should be sprint or strength train b/c really zombies are gonna out run you at some point.

Which - back to the thread - some upper body strength training is a good idea as you'll probably have hurdles or ladders to climb over.

I AM going the distance

Well if it's slow zombies then cardio.. If its resident evil speedy zombies, then sprint.

I have friends in Pasadena, where is the MD one, if it fits right I may do it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

after completing a few of these events, I have to agree with the just have fun, because depending on when you start and/or how fast you are you could end up waiting in line to do one of the obstacles; so just relax, enjoy the energy of the crowd and have a great time

"Sometimes in order to create, you need to destroy."

And cheer people on!

I AM going the distance

Archived