Forums are back in action! ×

Stress fracture in my foot, argh

Chrys

So I am fairly new. Been doing some body weight work and walking, just got a heavier dumbell for rows. Unfortunately last night I tripped and have managed to get a stress fracture in the front of my foot. It doesn't hurt too badly, but it does eliminate any exercise that stresses my foot. No lunges, no real pushups, no long walks/attempting to jog. Sigh. I know a few modifications (knee pushups, etc) But could use support to stay motivated and working so this happening so early on does not derail me. Also any other exercises suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chrys

* Can you do squats, where you drive through your heels?

* Wall sits?

* Do you have a gym membership? Leg extensions and leg curls would work ... you could also do this at home using bands.

* For pushups, just cross your bad leg over your good leg.

* Keep your diet dialed in real tight.

Curlbro time. Bench! Pullups!

Also, the pool; and you should be able to ride the gym stationary bikes on your heels by setting the seat a little lower than normal.

^^^^ This AND Kirkor's suggestion of leg machines (curls and extensions). I know I know lots of people hate the machines but they serve a purpose sometimes. You can also do seated bent over rows or tricep kickbacks. Skull crushers. bicycle crunches (any crunches!!). Lat pull downs if you want to sit.

Now be careful doing pullups and chinups b/c you still come down on the foot. I would avoid squats for the time being until doc says clear.

I've been through 3 stress fractures (tibial) so I know a lot about sitting to exercise. Here's a fun one: tabata bicycle crunches. Watch your form...

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Depending on where it is, you can do more than you think. I'm dealing with one right now as well in the fourth metatarsal of my left foot. I still squat and dead lift like normal and I do push ups with that foot crossed over the top of the other so there is no stress on it. The big thing to avoid is the repetitive impacts from running and jogging. Are these exercises painful at times? Yeah, but these are gonna hurt no matter what you do, even if that is sit on your but then walk to the bathroom. I find the repetitive stuff is the only thing that really aggrivates and increases the pain.

I had a pretty bad one last year in the first metatarsal in my right foot and couldn't even walk (sustained in skydiving landing). I had to get steroids shot into my foot so I could stand up at my own wedding. I ended up doing all kinds of adventure over the next 2 weeks and it healed fine even with me on it a bunch. I really think the staying off of it is more for pain management than anything else.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm kind of in the same boat now myself. I honestly haven't noticed any trouble from push ups per se. It's been more the repetitive stuff. Things like sprinting and running that have really gone and made it more painful. Otherwise, I've been able to get through the movements just fine, and I figure that as long as I keep things relatively low impact for a long(er) time (than I want), it should turn out all right.

Keep us posted on your recovery!

Thank you everyone!

So far doing well, appears to not have been too bad of a break. Had one a few years ago that was much worse, relieved at how much better this is.

I am pretty new so some exercises I am not up to yet (pull-ups not happening at this point :) ). Have found that I can do bodyweight squats as long as I keep the weight on my heels and wait a bit between sets. I do not have a gym membership, but have a couple of dumbbells so am working on upper body stuff with those. Doing knee pushups, crunches, etc. Looked up the tabata bicycle crunches, will have to give them a try .

Thanks again for the advice and support, it really helps keep you going :)

Archived