Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy Im new and Fat

Well title says it all I weigh 270lb and am 6 ft tall not where i want to be at all. Bmi is over 35 . I am tired of it. I need to fix it but i also know i will need some help. Me and my girlfriend are looking in to doing the paleo diet . once my money comes in . I have free wieghts at home already. got a bike and access to a gym.. Dont know what else to say, Im a gamer and have a kids so life is interesting

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | CON: 4 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

We walk in the dark places no others will enter.

We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______

Im starting to go through all of the site. My main problem is my motivation i want to loose wieght and put muscle on but i get burnt out. I am normally doing stuff on my own and just cant keep at it. I also just found out i have mild asthma so i really need to get my self in gear.

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______

I found "wanting to lose weight and get strong" weren't good enough motivators. I've had fitness success this year by having a "real" goal (applying to be a paramedic, need to pass a fitness test) and being paid to exercise (dog walking every second day).

I've been told that goals need to be SMART - specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely - so maybe you need to break yours down into SMART chunks.

NF has 6 week challenges that are a good motivator - set yourself 3 diet/fitness goals and 1 life goal for the 6 weeks, and get cracking!

It helps to enjoy exercise too, so find something you like!

Have you tried to set a 'long term goal' and several small ones inbetween? Like 'i want to feel happier loose 50lbs'.. for that i need to loose 4lbs in the next two weeks.. for that i need to eat better and also do 30mins of sport every other day. That way you have several small victories that should motivate you to keep at it.

Also if you say you burn out, maybe you are trying to archive too much at once? Or too little variety? Or maybe its just a matter of not eating enough of the good stuff or not enough sleep that really drags you down over time? What really helps me at times is to set an alarm around 21:00 to 22:00 that reminds me to stop what i'm doing right now and head to bed. That way i make sure i get enough sleep when i really need it and that really boosts recovery and health.. Well the exact time is not that important.. i usually set the alarm so that its 9h before i need to wake up, that way i do not have to drop what i'm doing but can slowly prepare to get to bed :)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

The challenges are a great idea, for example I'm more movitvated to work on my strength during a challenge becuase I make it a goal in some shape or form. Also picking smaller goals might also help as well as having non food related rewards for each goal

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

hey welcome shagy. there is sound advice in here. re: goals and diet. eat sensible meals and keep track of what you are putting in your mouth in a food journal. if you really want to get technical I suggest you calculate your TDEE. once you know this it is recommended to start eating at a 500 calories deficit. good luck on your journey. :)

My goals are to get down to 210-220 from 270 and put muscle back on that i have lost since i was in the military

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

First Challenge

Hey man, I'm asthmatic myself, the better shape you are in, the less the Athsma will bother you. Also, accupuncture is great for helping the symptoms of Athsma. As for motivation, pick a workout you like, then do that. The workout you love is a bagillion (what, I'm sure that's a number, don't judge me) times better than every other wokout on the planet. Like everyone has said, figure out the real reason you want to be in shape, then decide if that is more important to you than being lazy. If it is, great, go forth and strike posterior with the forward portion of thine foot. If not, sorry, we can't help you.

Good luck,

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I get burnt out because of the lack of results . i was eating right working out 5 or more times a week and saw little to no results after 6 months . i was in a bad relationship but that was the last time i really tried so the motivation is hard when every thing u know doesnt work . i am trying to change that and that is why im here . i will take any advice

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

First Challenge

What kind of workouts were you doing over those six months? Did you add or change anything as time went on and you got stronger? Did you change your diet at all over that time? Did you track what you ate and how you exercised? This is something I'm learning about, too. I've only just started exercising regularly, and I want to make sure I see results. I'm still figuring out how to do that.

I was counting calories . i was running 3 times a week strength training 2 times a week and would through in up to 3 high impact aerobics classes also. I just dont know what was the deal i know i was doing something wrong but what i dunno

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

First Challenge

You have come to the right place. October of 2011 I went to the doctor for my annual physical. I was at my highest weight ever 287 at 6 1. I was told my cholesterol was high and I would need to start to take statins. I said I would take care of it. 9 months later I was still doing nothing. June rolled around and I was a year older and I decided I had had enough I want to be around for my wife and three sons. I found nerd fitness and lurked for a month or so joined and didn't post anything until it was challenge time. While I was lurking I started eating paleo and doing body weight workouts. This Is the first thing that worked for me. I was full, I wasn't snacking on the kids lunch treats. I noticed my body changing and took some photos. I am three month into my journey and currently weigh 235. You can do this and are taking the right steps to better yourself. Let me know if you need help with anything. Good luck!

I know wall of text TL;DR

Summary: lost 51 pounds with body weight workouts and going paleo.

I know wall of text TL;DR

Summary: lost 51 pounds with body weight workouts and going paleo.

Wow that is awesome. What work outs are you doing?

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

First Challenge

Thanks, I built my own workout based on this article

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

I do upright rows, squats, push ups, hip raises, and the plank. I started off doing what I could a few knee push ups etc and increased my reps over time. I do body weight on mwf and yoga on t & th.

This has been working for me, I stick to my schedule and don't skip a planned workout. I leave Saturday open for biking, hiking, running around and playing with the kids.

If there is anything else give me a yell and I will answer any questions you have or point you in the right direction.

I was counting calories . i was running 3 times a week strength training 2 times a week and would through in up to 3 high impact aerobics classes also. I just dont know what was the deal i know i was doing something wrong but what i dunno

Could you be clearer about what you exactly did and how much you ate? As funny as it sounds.. maybe you just did eat too little for what you did.. or the training was not directed or progressive enough to show results..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

i was eating between 1800 and 2000 calories every day as for what food i ate exactly alot of suger fee stuff to cut calorries. but other than than it was years ago

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

First Challenge

Welcome to the place that will change your life!

First thing first, not everything you try will work, people are unfortunately very different when it comes to this kind of thing.

DIET is key here, you need to get this dialled in and you will lose weight without even picking a weight up or jogging 10 metres down the road and back. There are a few very good diet plans (try to think of them as healthy eating for the rest of your life rather than doing it for a few months) most people on here like paleo, but 2 other fairly successful ones are zone and the low carb diet. try each for 3 months and document everything so you look back and see where you go wrong, how you benefit from each that will be the only way you can know what works for YOU!

Make a small changes at a time, you aren't going to stick to it if you have to change your diet, start working out, having to mentally psych yourself up for a beasting in the gym on food you might not like. So for instance, first change, eat a good breakfast, do this for a month before you work on another change, that way the breakfast is in and dialled and not even a chore or thought as it's in practise already (a good breakfast will only take 5 mins to prepare).

Work on like that and before you know it you will be eating clean, working out in a way that suits you and your needs as well as in a way that your body responds to.

Changes will take time, sometimes at the start 6-8 isn't unheard of for things to change. I would also ditch the BMI measurement as it is fundamentally flawed, instead use markers sure as weight and body fat or just go by how you look in the mirror.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, on here, at the gym, other message boards, there will always be people who want to and are very willing to help.

Good luck with your goals!

Guess the 'between 1800 and 2000' calories are ok.. but if you are really highly active a bit more should also be ok.

I get burnt out because of the lack of results . i was eating right working out 5 or more times a week and saw little to no results after 6 months .

Not sure if you want advice on that.. it seems you are trying some different things now. But usually results just come if you are doing the right things. Like enough sleep, enough food as both help with recovering. The right training.. meaning challanging enough so that the body has to adapt but not too much as to cause an overly long recovery. And one usually needs progression. Trying to get faster, lift more weight or simply doing more. Without progression the body has no need to get better and better but instead finds way to get more efficient and actually gets worse with time. Like if you keep running the same distance and speed your body get more efficient and it takes less and less energy. Then even when eating a few calories can become to much.. But if you keep getting faster or going further, the body has to stay alarmed and improving..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

Im doing Stronglift strength training , using ellipticals(untill i have lost enough weigh to run), and biking 10 mile 2 to 3 days a week now. On the biking i am trying to go faster every time. I am also starting the paleo diet.

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

First Challenge

Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure you also get enough recovery :)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

I get burnt out because of the lack of results . i was eating right working out 5 or more times a week and saw little to no results after 6 months . i was in a bad relationship but that was the last time i really tried so the motivation is hard when every thing u know doesnt work . i am trying to change that and that is why im here . i will take any advice

I am right there with you. The thing that started getting me through was the fact that my wife said that she was starting to notice a difference in my chest after two weeks of working out! That was a huge boost for me.

Find a sidekick who will be there with you through the tough times. I have finally gotten to the point where the day-to-day workouts are not hurting me anymore. That was also my big struggle. I didn't think that I could work through the pain, but this time I did...and it is starting to pay off.

I am doing a dumbbell workout that I really like. Some awesome folks on the board are helping me tweak it to get the maximum results for me. If the dumbbell workout is something that you might be interested in, you an find it through my Intro or Battle Log in my signature.

Keep on fightin'!!

Michael

Atlab'Urlyren Druu'giir -- Apprentice of the Crimson RebelLevel 2 Drow Adventurer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 3 | CON 7 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | STA 1 | CHA 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Introduction | Current Challenge@michaelramm

Archived