Forums are back in action! ×

Flexibilty/Mobility Help

Absidey

Okay, the conflicting results on google just make me want to cry, so I'm turning the the *real* experts. =D

I've been aware of a problem with my flexibility since my last fit test at the gym. I do a sit reach test, with a box that is 9" at the toes, instead of toes at 0". The first time I did it, in 2011, I got 5" (4" short of my toes). In April 2012, I got 10" (1" past my toes). One month ago, I got 9" (right at my toes). My trainer was concerned, because he thinks the work I've been doing should show a gradual improvement or static flexibility. One of my 6 week challenges was to work on it, which lead me to Mobilitywod.com.

I've done the first one a couple times (10 minutes, ATG squat). I didn't really realize how much I was struggling until I got my husband to do it with me last night, and he did it easily, while I was doing it with something behind me because I couldn't lean forward far enough to balance without rolling to the balls of my feet with my heels several inches off the floor.

So my questions:

1) It seems like the mobility WOD assumes greater flexibility than I have, since I can't even do the very first one properly. Is there a better starting point for the very unfit?

2) With low squats specifically, is it better to modify leaning back against a wall, so I can keep my heels on the ground; go low, balance myself and lift my heels; or only go as low as I can while maintaining balance and heels on the ground?

3) I've been trying to priortize yoga a little higher. Are there specific poses or sequences I could use to target my ankles and knees? The class I take is vinyasa flow and doesn't seem to do much at allf for those, but I could do something different at home.

4) How much hurt is hey, this is working, and how much is damage? Holding the low squat doesn't hurt while I do it, but it makes me wince when I straighten out, mostly in my knees.

5) Supplements. I've been avoiding it, I don't want to be stupid stubborn. My trainer suggested calcium-magnesium, which I'll go pick up tonight. Is there anything else I should look into?

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

I am naturally super bendy, so I don't know that I can speak to your squat form, but a few thoughts on the rest of it...

1) A 1" change in your maximum static flexibility between one single test and another single test doesn't really mean much. You could have been stiff from sitting at work or how you slept (or particularly loose on your previous test), you could have been at a different point in your cycle, there are a lot of variables. Overall, you've had a big improvement since you first tested, so you may just have a little variation in your later tests.

2) Yoga-wise you might consider yin yoga. The basic theory of it is that long holds (supported if needed) can loosen and release fascia and ligament tightness that could be restricting you. It's almost the opposite of vinyasa. I use the Paul Griley yin yoga DVD which is specifically intended to be done once or twice a week in addition to a standard yoga practice. Alternately, you might want to try foam rolling, again to loosen up any fascial adhesions that are getting in your way.

3) I take almost no supplements and I'm a huge fan of calcium-magnesium before bed. I don't know that it helps my flexibility, but it does seem to help me relax and clear out any soreness in my muscles. It's worth a try.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

In regards to mobility wod.. they aren't in order of easy to hard, which seems to be a common misconception. I do a ton of them and my mobility has increased a lot BUT I still have trouble with the 10 minute squat (of doom). Go through the first 20 videos or so. Watch, rewatch and do what you can. Go as deep as you can--even if that's not very deep at all. Hold it as long as you can up to his recommendation and continue to add seconds as you can (so see if you can do 35 then 45..so on and so forth).

For your low squat: find something you can hold onto (like he recommends in vid 1) so your heels are flat. Your knees hurt because you're coming out of the squat without pushing back your hips (again, something he mentions in that video). Do your best to push back and up so the strain on your knees is minimal.

Otherwise, mobility work is generally kind of uncomfortable. There's no way for us to really define that line because it's different for all of us. But what you described with your knees-not good. If you feel tingling, stop. Otherwise, push to the point where you feel it. Breathe deeply. Try to take it a little further. Breathe, rinse, repeat.

Yin yoga is would be a good addition. It's much like mwod stuff in that you hold the poses for a period of time and it's pretty uncomfortable hahaha but it's great for mobility.

I'm not sure about the supplements, to be honest.

Hope this helps shed some light on the unbendy folk (I am one! or was. i am much more bendy that I was)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

1) A 1" change in your maximum static flexibility between one single test and another single test doesn't really mean much. You could have been stiff from sitting at work or how you slept (or particularly loose on your previous test), you could have been at a different point in your cycle, there are a lot of variables. Overall, you've had a big improvement since you first tested, so you may just have a little variation in your later tests.

I didn't realize that flexibility could be so variable! Just now, I think there is something going on, because I've been feeling stiff and particularly unlimber for weeks, especially in my knees, which is where I really felt it lock when I did the test. I'll keep that in mind and try not to freak out if it backslides sometimes going forward though..

2) Yoga-wise you might consider yin yoga. The basic theory of it is that long holds (supported if needed) can loosen and release fascia and ligament tightness that could be restricting you. It's almost the opposite of vinyasa. I use the Paul Griley yin yoga DVD which is specifically intended to be done once or twice a week in addition to a standard yoga practice. Alternately, you might want to try foam rolling, again to loosen up any fascial adhesions that are getting in your way.

3) I take almost no supplements and I'm a huge fan of calcium-magnesium before bed. I don't know that it helps my flexibility, but it does seem to help me relax and clear out any soreness in my muscles. It's worth a try.

-jj

Thanks! I'm trying out Cal-Mag now, and your experience with it make me feel a bit better. The helping to relax is almost exactly what my trainer suggested it for. I'll definitely give Yin Yoga a try; it seems to be exactly what I need.

In regards to mobility wod.. they aren't in order of easy to hard, which seems to be a common misconception. I do a ton of them and my mobility has increased a lot BUT I still have trouble with the 10 minute squat (of doom). Go through the first 20 videos or so. Watch, rewatch and do what you can. Go as deep as you can--even if that's not very deep at all. Hold it as long as you can up to his recommendation and continue to add seconds as you can (so see if you can do 35 then 45..so on and so forth).

For your low squat: find something you can hold onto (like he recommends in vid 1) so your heels are flat. Your knees hurt because you're coming out of the squat without pushing back your hips (again, something he mentions in that video). Do your best to push back and up so the strain on your knees is minimal.

That has helped a lot! Changing the modification I'm doing makes it easier to come up the right way. I can't hold it hardly at all though. I think it would be easier holding on - having a hard time finding something that's the right shape, height, and weight to really work as an anchor. Once I'm back at the gym instead of at home, I think it'll be easier. Hopefully for future WOD too.

Otherwise, mobility work is generally kind of uncomfortable. There's no way for us to really define that line because it's different for all of us. But what you described with your knees-not good. If you feel tingling, stop. Otherwise, push to the point where you feel it. Breathe deeply. Try to take it a little further. Breathe, rinse, repeat.

I was going past tingling, so I'm glad you said something. I figured it was an acceptable discomfort since it didn't actually hurt.

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

Glad that helped! Yeah, I use one of the machines to hold onto to stabilize. Or my couch arm. Not so much an easy thing.

Yeah, that's the hard thing to know.... but if it's like pins and needles or falling asleep tingling definitely stop and shake it out. I usually reset but can only hold it less time before it starts to tingle again.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Archived