Forums are back in action! ×

Are there many tabletop gamers around?

Harness

Though I don't do tabletop, I still run it online with a group of friends across the world. I live in a rural town in Indiana, and I have a tough time finding people that would be willing to sit down and do something like that. I'm a basic beginner as well, having one done one or two campaigns in Warhammer 40k's Dark Heresy - but my friends insist that I try running it, so I'll be DMing my first game here within the week. Pretty excited for it.

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VIRHEILM, LEVEL 1 HUMAN ADVENTURER

"A year from now you will wish you had started today." ~ Karen Lamb

[TD=align: center]

ATTRIBUTES

STRENGTH: 2

DEXTERITY: 2

STAMINA: 2

CONSTITUTION: 3

WISDOM: 3

CHARISMA: 3

[/TD]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[/TABLE]

Well, since it seems we have players I say you guys roll up some characters, PM them to me, and we can get the ball rolling on this. I have a rough outline of a campaign in mind already. I'm excited for this. I aim to misbehave.

I am really trying to get around to this. Hopefully will do tonight after jump rope.

Normally, I advocate a crew coordinating their character creation, but that takes a lot of time, and I'm guessing you have a good reason to have it done by PMs. I just ask that you help us make sure each character has a niche and a unique place in the crew.

Since it's a new system I will play literally any class. So if we have a gap, let me know and I'll pursue it. Since it's a point buy system, what skillz are we short on and I can make a fun character concept around filling some of them.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hey! Is it cool if I "lurk" on this thread? I've played computer/console RPG's for most of my life, but have never played table-top, and I'm curious/ want to learn how it works. :-)

Lurk away. We may have to start a separate thread or something so we can have a general rpg thread and a game thread.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

Lurk away. We may have to start a separate thread or something so we can have a general rpg thread and a game thread.

That's usually how it is done. There's a game thread, called a moderated thread (MT) that has no out of character (OOC) posts, everything is in character (IC) and it is run by the GM and no one but approved players or the GM posts. Then there's an out of character (OOC) thread that is all other discussion.

edit: I've got my character rolled up and sent to the GM.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

That's usually how it is done. There's a game thread, called a moderated thread (MT) that has no out of character (OOC) posts, everything is in character (IC) and it is run by the GM and no one but approved players or the GM posts. Then there's an out of character (OOC) thread that is all other discussion.

edit: I've got my character rolled up and sent to the GM.

I have a character concept and I will try to have it rolled up and sent to the GM by the end of the weekend at the latest.

Lvl 1 Elven Minotaur Druid
Str: 3 |Dex: 1 |Sta: 4 |Con: 3 |Wis: 2 |Cha: 2

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." Capt Malcolm Reynolds

"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself", Shunryu Suzuki

"Why do we fall down, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again." Thomas Wayne

My second-ish challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29825-harness-rebooted/
cool, cool. I'll be you guys' fan girl. :biggrin-new:

Wanna see me roll Strength, baby? :P

Oh god I have to use that line for real sometime. Seriously, next convention I go to.

But, seriously, we're happy to provide a window into gaming. Hopefully you get educated and even more interested.

My character's all finished and sent to Kevin. I didn't get a read receipt, so I don't know if he's gotten it yet? Anyway, I think that makes us at least 3 confirmed players. Maybe more.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Wanna see me roll Strength, baby? :P

Oh god I have to use that line for real sometime. Seriously, next convention I go to.

LOL. On the right girl, it would work. On the wrong girl... :uncomfortableness:

But, seriously, we're happy to provide a window into gaming. Hopefully you get educated and even more interested.

That's what I'm hoping. I'm reading the book files shagy2303 posted, and I'm practicing character making (currently working on "mouse" -thought that'd be a good practice char for a lurker- Assets: athlete, lightnin' reflexes, sharp sense[smell], nose for trouble / Complications: branded, coward, dull sense[sight], filcher, twitchy), finding myself kind of (okay a lot) confused about how the dice work, but I'm going to keep poking around online. Hopefully watching you guys will also help me figure it out.

Oh, and thank you for not hating on the NOOB.

"A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination." -Nelson Mandela

LOL. On the right girl, it would work. On the wrong girl... :uncomfortableness:

That's what I'm hoping. I'm reading the book files shagy2303 posted, and I'm practicing character making (currently working on "mouse" -thought that'd be a good practice char for a lurker- Assets: athlete, lightnin' reflexes, sharp sense[smell], nose for trouble / Complications: branded, coward, dull sense[sight], filcher, twitchy), finding myself kind of (okay a lot) confused about how the dice work, but I'm going to keep poking around online. Hopefully watching you guys will also help me figure it out.

Oh, and thank you for not hating on the NOOB.

I posted a link earlier in the thread to a game that I played all the way through if you want an example of play. It's high fantasy instead of space and a different rules system, but should be good for the feel of how role playing, especially by post instead of in person, goes.

500 / 330 / 625

Mine is mechanical engineering but can change if needed, not central to my character concept.

500 / 330 / 625

Hey everyone, checking in again. Been coming up with the campaign and organizing my notes, just waiting on some more characters. It seems we already have a mechanic, a "computer nerd on the run", and the hired muscle. If anyone wants to step it up and be the captain that's still open!

Leprechaun Warrior
STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 2 | STA: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

For epic music that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE click here. Make sure you have a spare pair of underwear beforehand.

Hey everyone, checking in again. Been coming up with the campaign and organizing my notes, just waiting on some more characters. It seems we already have a mechanic, a "computer nerd on the run", and the hired muscle. If anyone wants to step it up and be the captain that's still open!

We also need a pilot.

I admit, basically the only reason I didn't make a captain or a pilot is because I figured those two positions would get filled up first. I would be happy to draw one up. More than happy. Ecstatic, even. I like the character I submitted, but I've never gotten a chance to make a captain for a Serenity game, even though I've rolled up for a few.

Of course, having a TechEng around is pretty awesome, so if somebody else would like to be captain or pilot, I am quite happy to keep my character. It opens up options that many crews don't have.

Let me know your thoughts, y'all.

Funny, I was thinking about recruiting some people here for a D&D 3.5 game I'm planning to DM. It's not nearly ready yet though.

Expressing interest. As well, I'm recovering/rebuilding notes on my 3.5 world that has usually worked well for introducing 3.5 to players, and I can always ramp up any aspect that needs it for veterans (since we do have a new person to table top gaming person lurking on the thread).

Expressing interest. As well, I'm recovering/rebuilding notes on my 3.5 world that has usually worked well for introducing 3.5 to players, and I can always ramp up any aspect that needs it for veterans (since we do have a new person to table top gaming person lurking on the thread).

I'd play 3.5 too if not enough people sign up. My roots are in D&D 2.5.

500 / 330 / 625

I will make a captain, it fits along well with my backstory.

Lvl 1 Elven Minotaur Druid
Str: 3 |Dex: 1 |Sta: 4 |Con: 3 |Wis: 2 |Cha: 2

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." Capt Malcolm Reynolds

"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself", Shunryu Suzuki

"Why do we fall down, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again." Thomas Wayne

My second-ish challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29825-harness-rebooted/
I should have more access to a Computer starting this next week so i can roll up a pilot. I'll get the character to you tonight or tomorrow

Awesome, so far what I have seen from the forums.

Captain- Harness

Pilot- Illuminatus

Mechanic- CoreyD

TechEng-SusieBlu

Hired Muscle- ?

Medic-?

Other players- RealBrickWall and shagy2303

No sure if anyone claimed medic. I don't know what Kevin has planned but it is always a good idea to have someone that can fix people.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

Awesome, so far what I have seen from the forums.

Captain- Harness

Pilot- Illuminatus

Mechanic- CoreyD

TechEng-SusieBlu

Hired Muscle- ?

Medic-?

Other players- RealBrickWall and shagy2303

No sure if anyone claimed medic. I don't know what Kevin has planned but it is always a good idea to have someone that can fix people.

As mentioned before, I submitted a TechEng, and Kevin said that someone submitted a "hired muscle". I guess I should make a new character, then. Good thing my brain is a fabulous vortex of brilliant ideas that form as supernovas of creativity which drown out all other human imagination in their incomparable glory. Okay, not really, but I do have plenty of ideas, and knowing what else the party already has makes it quite a bit easier. And, with so many major roles filled, I can feel free to do the weird stuff.

As mentioned before, I submitted a TechEng, and Kevin said that someone submitted a "hired muscle". I guess I should make a new character, then. Good thing my brain is a fabulous vortex of brilliant ideas that form as supernovas of creativity which drown out all other human imagination in their incomparable glory. Okay, not really, but I do have plenty of ideas, and knowing what else the party already has makes it quite a bit easier. And, with so many major roles filled, I can feel free to do the weird stuff.

How about we talk to Kevin to see what he was thinking as a campaign and see what characters would be best.

Archived