Forums are back in action! ×

Introducing Myself

Hi everyone!!! :welcoming:

My name is Dan, but Niccolo is the name I use when I game. When in doubt, I answer to both. I'm 29 years old and live in the Seattle area.

I was surfing the web today while home sick (damn PAX pox) and came across this website. I figured that I'd go ahead and sign up since I just recently got a new fitness goal. But more on that later...

For my background, I was never a real active person. I got out of working out in high school, saw the inside of a gym maybe 5 times during college when I got a wild hair, graduated and put on twenty pounds. Most of my time up to last year was spent working as a civil engineer (mostly at a desk) and coming home to WoW.

Then last year, I had a wake-up call that I was in bad shape: I had a kidney stone. AT 28!!! I started changing things, but had a couple other bad things happen in my life: stuck in a bad job, having my car engine blow up for the second time, and several other nasty random encounters. By the time that the end of December rolled around, I had come to the realization that I wasn't happy with my body and my fitness level. A switch flipped, and I decided to start working out. I think the big thing was that I wanted to take control of the parts of my life that I could, since so many things were going badly.

After a bit of research into local gyms, I found a highly rated one near my house. It took me 5 minutes sitting in my car to work up the courage to go into the gym my first night. I went in and spoke with the owner a bit and he offered to have me join a class that was going on.

What I didn't realize was this gym was a Crossfit gym.

The workout that night was one of the hardest things I've ever done, if not the hardest. But, something triggered in my mind and I loved the exercise. Unlike any other workout I'd ever done, I felt really good afterward.

Along with starting to workout, my wife and I modified our diet. I call it 70% paleo, since we haven't completely cut out grain, but it is not a major component of what we eat. Primarily fresh veggies and lean meats.

Well, after 8 months, I've gone from around 215 at my max to around 185 at 6'1" with a significantly lower body fat. I don't really weigh myself often, since I more focus on how I feel, how I perform at workouts, and to a much lesser extent how I look. I'm really proud that I was able to recently max my back squat at 205, my bench press at 155, and my deadlift at 275, especially since I couldn't do any of those with weight when I started in January.

So that brings me to why I'm here. As I mentioned above, my wife and I went to PAX Prime this last weekend. We cosplayed, but neither of us were extremely happy with our costumes (I was a Demon Hunter from D3 and she was Alice from Alice: The Madness Returns). So we decided that we'd go all out for next year. My wife suggested that we go for Monkey and Trip from Enslaved: Odyssey into the West. For those of you who don't know, here's a picture of Monkey:

Enslaved-Character-Art-Monkey.jpg

Now, I've made awesome progress that I'm thrilled about, but I'm not under the impression that I will be in that kind of shape in a year. However, I would like to get as close as possible. So that will involve putting on more muscle and losing more fat. I figure that meeting this goal will work with many of my Crossfit goals (muscle-up, I have you in my sights).

So, I came here to help me with this goal. I want to broaden my knowledge base beyond my Crossfit circle. And, to be honest, I still haven't told the people at my gym that I'm a major gamer yet. (I know, I know. Nothing wrong with being a gamer, but I'm not overly forthcoming with it because I usually get an "oh, that's great" with an eye roll and half smile from people when I talk about games.) I figure this cosplay will be a good way to do so. :D

That's my story. I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Dan aka Nicc

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

Hello Dan! My name is Dan, too. So, your name rules, first of all. Secondly, congrats on your progress so far! Your progress on the lifts is very solid: it took me much longer than 8 months to reach those numbers, so that's awesome. Do you time your nutrients at all? By that, I mean, do you eat most of your carbs around the times that you workout? If not, this is the biggest change I would suggest, as your body will use them more effectively at these times. On rest days, I would try sticking with veggies and lean meats as much as possible, and push the carbs to your workout days. Best wishes!

My blog ---> www.thewallenway.com

Good to hear from another Dan. :)

I haven't tried timing my nutrients yet, since I've been mainly focusing on just getting the diet right and not being hungry. Lol. Do you know where I could go to find more info on timing?

Thanks!

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

Archived