Forums are back in action! ×

Relocating in the Spring (2013) to Either NYC or Chicago... Suggestions?

Y0F1R3

Hey All,

I was really hoping to get some words of wisdom on a move in the spring. I am deciding between NYC and Chicago, although I am leaning towards Chi-town.

Neither have I visited, but I plan on heading up to Chicago regardless to check out the city.

I am in my 20's, definitely dig on the hole in the wall bars with great bands/music (of all genres). Good beer and people.

I don't make a ton of money, although I would most likely look for a gig in a hospital, and a bartend gig. So two jobs will be better than one. I will most likely look for a roomie situation at first, then a place of my own later on (after I get settled).

I don't have kids or anything holding me back, other than a lease until the end of this year. I currently live in Denver.

I have not yet finished my degree... and am a little undecided on what I will choose ultimately as a major. So I will be working off of current occupational experience for job hunting.

I have that sort've online romance with both cities... ya know, where you see all of the great 'attributes' they offer, all of the perks, even some downsides, but not the true nitty gritty details. This move will most likely be a semi-permanent to a permanent move.

Help me pick my new home, I would rather tackle this now and make a well-informed decision later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions or suggestions reply here or message me directly, thank you!!

You should mention some more things you look for in a city. What climate do you prefer? What kind of people? Any fields/industries you are considering for the future? What activities do you do in your spare time? Most cities will have bars, so you have to be a bit more specific.

Here's what I can tell you about NYC - it is hot and humid in the summer. It's very crowded and fast-paced. It's not very clean. It's chaotic and loud. You'll see a lot of people who are obviously very concerned with being "cool". Because it's so crowded, people are somewhat desensitized to other people. You won't be able to afford a decent place unless you make six figures.

You should mention some more things you look for in a city. What climate do you prefer? What kind of people? Any fields/industries you are considering for the future? What activities do you do in your spare time? Most cities will have bars, so you have to be a bit more specific.

You are very right, I should have been more detailed. As far as climate goes, I am fairly flexible. The only type of climate/weather I do not prefer is the really hot and humid (100+ deg). I want a diverse crowd of people, but I would love to be around people who are motivated to something positive... it can really be anything. As far as fields/industries go, I have worked medical for the last 4 years (which will be easiest to step into as a fix for a job). However, I want to eventually get into music event/show production and promotion, as well as working with at risk youth. I really enjoy a wide variety of things in my spare time. Anything from playing music, art, checking out coffee shops, reading books, camping, bonfires, live music shows, and anything else that involves some sort of positive interaction with people.

Here's what I can tell you about NYC - it is hot and humid in the summer. It's very crowded and fast-paced. It's not very clean. It's chaotic and loud. You'll see a lot of people who are obviously very concerned with being "cool". Because it's so crowded, people are somewhat desensitized to other people. You won't be able to afford a decent place unless you make six figures.

As far as what would be considered a 'decent' place, I am not horribly concerned with living luxuriously. I am pretty modest, and a hole in the wall place would be just fine. I want to be in a place that will challenge me to accomplish all that I want in the shortest time possible. Not allowing me any time to procrastinate or put off anything that I will need to, plus I need opportunity for growth and development of my goals and dreams (with a healthy dose of reality included).

Thank you for your reply, I hope that clarifies some of the things you mentioned.

I've spent time in NYC and Chicago. The cities have a very different 'feel' to me. If I had to live in one of the two, I would prefer to live in Chicago over NYC if I had to pick one of the two. Chicago is broken up into areas of the city that feel more like neighborhoods and people actually make eye contact with one another. It didn't feel as cramped as NYC, or as commercial.

You won't be able to afford a decent place unless you make six figures.

this isn't true.

i don't make that much money, and i live in a small one bedroom in a great neighborhood in manhattan.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Do you all have specific reasons for preferring one city over the other? I have lived in Denver most of my life and need a change of pace/scenery.

Are there any specific things that set the cities apart from each other? Other than landscape?

I do greatly appreciate all of the input!

I can't speak for Chicago, but compared to most cities, New York is bigger, and everything feels more fast-paced and chaotic - or at least to an outsider like me it feels chaotic. There's also a *huge* variety of neighborhoods/people/cultures.

After going to NY, Philadelphia for example, almost seems like a relaxing atmosphere, relatively speaking. And everything feels smaller. Also, I have anxiety of sorts, and New York is perhaps one of the most anxiety-provoking places I've been to.

Oh, and 100 degree heat and humidity - that's NYC in the summer. Just fyi. Also, the camping and bonfires part - Denver or Seattle/Portland probably have a lot more nature-oriented people than NYC, but I probably shouldn't generalize a population like that.

Denver or Seattle/Portland probably have a lot more nature-oriented people than NYC

Try getting north out of the city in the fall. Complete gridlock for folks going to check out fall colors. Like any major city you can find most any subculture you so wish, and NYC is more diverse than most in that regard.

The chaos bit is pretty accurate though, can take a lot of getting used to.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Try getting north out of the city in the fall. Complete gridlock for folks going to check out fall colors. Like any major city you can find most any subculture you so wish, and NYC is more diverse than most in that regard.

The chaos bit is pretty accurate though, can take a lot of getting used to.

This is true, there's a lot of beauty to be found north of the city. Upstate NY, Vermont, New Hampshire, etc...Lots of small New England towns, great ski resorts, places to go hiking, etc. I think it's one of the most beautiful parts of the country, along with the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure many people from the city go up there - in fact there's the old story of people who work in investment banking on wall street for a decade, make some decent money working insane hours in absolute chaos, and then go open a nice quiet bed and breakfast in Vermont. But that could just be a silly myth, what do I know.

I moved to New York in December and I absolutely love it here - it's one of my favorite cities in the world, hands down. I've only visited Chicago a couple times, but it doesn't seem to have the same relentless energy to me. You can find practically anything in New York, and it's that constant sense of discovery that makes the city feel so vital to me.

Having said that, yes, it's expensive. I make more money here than I've ever made before, but I also have to keep a close eye on spending (and I live pretty modestly). But it's so so worth it to me, I can't even tell you.

Archived