Forums are back in action! ×

Brand new to the forum and the rebellion, and happy to be here. I have a feeling I may be one of the elder nerds on this thing as I'll hit 50 before the end of the year (sounds like a bad fantasy series: read "Elders of the Nerds!"). I'll apologize in advance- that aging thing will be a major theme of lots of what I post, but I promise there will no bitching about it. I've been looking for a site like this one for a while - one with a no-gimmicks, whole-person approach to fitness. Plus, I've liked the sense of humor and general atmosphere, neither of which encourage or would even tolerate bitching. I liked it so much, that I emailed my older son the other day encouraging him to check out the site, telling him "you gotta see it; these are our people!"

Two major goals with which I hope y'all can help me go back to that getting old thing. First, is to continue to grow and learn as a person physically, mentally, and spiritually. I truly believe the day you stop doing any of those is the day you start dying. That will come soon enough and I see no reason to hasten it. Second, is to avoid aging gracefully - I am going to make old age drag my sorry butt into my decripitude kicking and screaming, fighting as hard as I can to stay fit, healthy, and active as long as I can. So active, in fact, that my ideal end would be to finish a gnarly 50 mile trail ride on my mountain bike some time after my 90th birthday, then spontaneously burst into flames, preferably next to some pompous jerk who just dropped his clif shot wrapper on the trail so I can take them with me. Barring that, I'll settle for being fit enough to teach my grand kids to ride trails on their mountain bikes in a few years. Once I have grand kids, of course. If not, I guess I'll have to borrow the neighbors' or something, but that could be embarrasing, especially if I forget to tell the neighbors first.

Anyway, glad to be here, and be seeing y'all around.

Welcome! Sounds like you have two really great goals. I'm sure with that attitude you will reach them :)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Welcome to the forums!! Love your attitude!!! (Can i say i wanna be like you when i get older?? *grins*)

Dude- careful what you wish for! You could end up bald with one metal hip, stuck behind razor wire in a scorching desert. If you get really lucky- it's been a pretty cool ride so far.

Thanks all. Guess now I oughta pick a guild.

Archived