Forums are back in action! ×

Bio Impedance to calculate fat loss.

MuayTyson

I hear that the bio impedance machines are getting better but they still seem off to me. I have taken two bio impedance tests last week and they were higher than I thought they should be. I think my BF% is between 14-16% I have visable abs(when I have not eaten) and I appear more cut and leaner. I carry a pretty good amount of muscle mass on my frame I'm 178 cm(5'10) 95 kilkos(212 lbs). I think the alagrarythm is off for these machines because I am fairly muscular. My BMI is 30 which is obese and I think this influences the machines here in Asia what do you guys think?

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

BIA are known to vary widely as different manufacturers use different equations. If you wana pretty good read on the subject I point you to the two links below. They give a great background and show the differences between calculations for BIAs. :)

A lot of BIAs use the height weight ratio, and then have another selection for what type of person you are e.g athletic, normal, sedentary. These different selections affect the weighting of the height/weight ratio.

http://www.ake-nutrition.at/uploads/media/bia1_Kyle_et_al_01.pdf

http://www.ake-nutrition.at/uploads/media/bia2_Kyle_et_al_01.pdf

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

They're certainly not the most accurate of BF% measurements. That said, if you're watching the overall trend over time on the same machine, I think it's an okay indicator of whether progress is going in the direction you want or not. I wouldn't put much stock into the actual number, though.

I am aware that BMI is not accurate for athletes but I can't read the machines they are all in Korean. I have a machine that I know is not very accurate and that has an athletic setting I'm not sure these machines do.

I'm thinking they are using the BMI in the math they use to determine BF% I checked and can't find any submersion here either.

Oh, yeah the machines do give BMI but I know how to calculate it myself.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

Archived