Forums are back in action! ×

New Scout!

Hey all

I've been poking around for a week or so now and decided tonight to join up and join in. I need some sort of community to chat fitness with!

I grew up in a very fitness-focused house, but I've only half-assed it most of my life, mostly with running, which is something I enjoy doing. I have no idea how fast I'm capable of getting, or what it would be like to truly be in good shape.

About 3 weeks ago my local JCC started spinning (technically "group cycle"--we use Keiser M3 bikes so can't brand it spin) classes, and I was at the first one and have been 3x a week since. I'm adoring it. I'm ready to finally, at age 30, settle into a life-long routine of steady exercise. My parents have always found the time to exercise 6x a week, and I also want to raise my children to know how important it is to take care of our bodies.

My plan is to do spinning, running, and basic weights. I want to be fast, have endurance, and gain strength.

Oh, and I debated what class to join...I'm a vegetarian tree-hugger, but not into yoga and such, and I'm a distance runner but have never truly tested my endurance. So I'm just going with Scout!

Edit: I really really want to go ahead and join in the upcoming Challenge, but I'm a medical student starting my surgery rotation on Monday. As idealistic as I'd like to be, the chances of me actually meeting fitness goals in the next 6 weeks are slim. So I'm going to plan to join the next Challenge after that!

Lady of Lorien

High Elf, Level 1 Scout

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

I don't know if this will help you but as someone who also used to work 80 hours (that is how long residents work, I believe?), the best thing for you to try would be tabatas (4 minutes of intensity, 1 minute rest, 4 minutes of intensity, 1 minute rest, etc--do five sets of that and you'll turn into red jello). For the intense stuff, I go with rotations of push-up burpees, mountain climbers, pull-ups, and feet-to-bars while hanging. As for cardio, you can try running to a playlist that you made in order to increase your endurance (I have different songs for different paces... if you spin, I'm guessing you know how to follow the beat), and the same can be used for spinning (BTW, Lil' Wayne's "Mirror on the Wall" is GREAT for an intense climb--perfect beat). It also gives you a chance to waste some time scrounging Spotify for the best songs and hype yourself. If I am looking for long-distance, I do "artist of the day"--I run/spin for the whole album--and of course, you follow the beat, so you HAVE to push yourself even if you want to collapse.

BTW, as a fellow ex-raw vegan who HATES regular vinyasa yoga, you will have to pick it up if you want to continue running... If you find regular yoga too boring, go with hot bikram yoga (you need it if you want to have functioning hips/legs by the time you're 50 (now THAT tests your endurance far more than running 26.2 miles- trust me)).

Welcome!

[quote=Loren Wade;278390)Dawsy's the leader of the Scouts... you'll be taken great care of. :)

I am a scout as well, and I couldn't agree more (the other leaders are pretty welcoming as well)

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Archived