Forums are back in action! ×

Another recruit to the cause

I've been reading Nerd Fitness for about a year now and decided it was time to join the community. I'm originally from the US but now I live in Scotland. I'm a 46 year old mother of two and I write software -- well, these days I look after people ("manage" -eeurgh, I hate that word when applied to people) who write software more than writing it myself.

My fitness journey so far:

I've never been particularly sporty and was generally somewhat overweight/overfat. I ballooned, though, when I was pregnant. In early 2004, when my younger daughter was 6 months old, I had a big fitness wake up call. I tried to run to catch a train and discovered exactly how unfit I was. A run of maybe 100 meters had me gasping and wheezing -- I thought I was going to need medical help.

So, in February 2004 I started on The Hacker's Diet (which I still use to track my weight), and later that year started running with an "absolute beginners" run/walk program. Between February and December of 2004 I lost 60 pounds, which I have maintained ever since. I ran a 5k race for charity that year and slowly built up to half marathons in following years.

A few years ago I took up Krav Maga, and lately I've been working on strength training. My current quest is to do a pull-up -- I've never done one in my life. I'm reasonably good at tracking my progress -- delighted to find I'm not the only one with Google Docs spreadsheets -- but improvement is slow. Still, I've achieved my previous goals (most recently pushups) with the classic Nerd Fitness baby steps and small changes, so I know I'll get there.

In working on strength lately I have let aerobic fitness and endurance slide a bit, so I've started to work some HIIT into my schedule. I'm contemplating joining the next 6 week challenge, probably with the Monks. (Am I the only middle-aged female monk?) I'm not currently doing any training in fighting (for scheduling reasons) but hope to get back to it sometime.

Googolplex, level 4 monk,  My avatar

Welcome! Looks like you've had some great progress so far. If you need any advise on strenght trianing, feel free to ask anything you want in the powerlifting/olympic lifts section.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived