Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

So I went to a Zumba class last night...

Now before everyone grabs a torch and pitchfork and marches over here demanding my man card let me tell you why-

A good friend of mine teaches the zumba class at my school and lately she has been coming to my Insanity workouts that I lead so I figured what the heck I'll come check out her Zumba class. Long story short I grabbed 2 of my other friends I do Insanity with and we went. We were all dreadful but had a blast. Besides us there was only one other guy there and a lot of girls who were quite amused with our attempts at Zumba.

TLDR- went to zumba, had fun, no regrets.

So what you are really saying is: try Zumba, meet women.

Rx'dRobot - Ranger EngineerLVL 2 | STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 5 | WIS 5 | CHA 5Intro | Challenges: 1 - 2| "I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

If I was single, I'd definitely go to Zumba and yoga classes. They have them at my gym and I am completely guilty of standing there in the squat rack staring in through the glass and watching. Plenty of hot chicks in there. Best way to meet hot chicks? Put yourself in social situations around them and make them laugh. Doing zumba is sure to do that.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

If I was single, I'd definitely go to Zumba and yoga classes. They have them at my gym and I am completely guilty of standing there in the squat rack staring in through the glass and watching. Plenty of hot chicks in there. Best way to meet hot chicks? Put yourself in social situations around them and make them laugh. Doing zumba is sure to do that.

That's typically how I work. Which is why my friends were piling on the gay jokes. I have entirely given up on meeting women in a bar or club, so I don't even try any more. The problem is that ALL my friends ALWAYS drag me to bars and clubs. Lol.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

That's typically how I work. Which is why my friends were piling on the gay jokes. I have entirely given up on meeting women in a bar or club, so I don't even try any more. The problem is that ALL my friends ALWAYS drag me to bars and clubs. Lol.

If you always do what you've always done, nothing will ever change. Go zumba!

One of the great things about being gay is that I can do stuff like that and no-one will care. I can cry in public, wear silly clothes, flirt outrageously with men or women, hug complete strangers and go to the cheesiest shows, discos, nightclubs and bars and no-one will think less of me. Of course, that doesn't mean I have to do any of that. But it's nice to have the option.

Church, it's not too late to change teams... :P

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Who'd you want to meet? Women that hang around in bars or athletic women with a proven talent for rhythmic hip movement? ;)

People occasionally try to give me stick for letting my son do ballet. I respond with 2 observations

- it was good enough for jean Claude van damme

- by the time he's fifteen it will be him in a class with 20 girls capable of putting their legs behind their heads. Not bad odds.

The odd meathead still wants to argue that it isn't macho enough (one clown even used the fact he was a police officer as justification for not letting his son do it). I tend to offer to drag them outside and beat the tar out of them at that point. Confuses them no end ;)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Careful beating the tar out of cops. Even if he has it coming, he's got a lot of buddies who won't see it that way ;)

I always let people have the first couple of swings (only good manner)

If someone wants to get into a willy waving contest, they better brace for impact. Just sayin :)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

If someone wants to get into a willy waving contest, they better brace for impact. Just sayin :)

That's where you find people named William, wave at them and then see if they wave back, right?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

That's where you find people named William, wave at them and then see if they wave back, right?

uh, sure.

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Maledictus, you make an excellent point. I've actually been toying with the idea of taking a dance type class to learn to be more coordinated. I recently had to do some dancing, thankfully I was REALLY drunk, and so was she, so it wasn't apparent. But I have almost NO dancing ability. Like at all. I'm actually amazed I can even muster the coordination to walk.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

I've gotta say I have pretty good respect for the coordination zumba requires that I lacked. I might go back for fun even though I am already tied down at the moment. The main thing I noticed is that you can't take it too seriously. I was laughing at my self and my friends along with everyone else and did not care what they thought of my moves, I just was there to have a good time.

Semper Gumby-Always FlexiblePain is weakness leaving the body.FITOCRACY

In all honesty men, Those who take dance classes and those who don't really have anything difference between their manhood. I always think that Capoeira would make excellent fighters and Chinese Wu-Shu is a series of movements that a lot of people would think is nothing more than horrible dancing. Dancing is embedded into LOTS of manly cultures, those who now see it as un-manly, are simply uneducated. And we all know an uneducated man is no man at all.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I will put in a plug for swing dancing. Great fun, I must say. Excellent way to learn coordination. Great way to meet women (though perhaps not as much as salsa dancing). Any type of partner dancing also teaches the etiquette toward your partner and other dancers. Win win.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

The movie, "shall we dance" with richard gere explores this quite a bit

wildross - warriors count tons, not reps

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Funny how I've been looking into Zumba, Yoga, Mixed Martial Arts and Crossfit classes at the new gym and I come here to see this discussion!

I'm currently reading Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger, I really recommend it. So far I'm just a few chapters in, reading one chapter a night, and I'm hooked. It starts with Arnold as a very young kid, you get to read how it was back in Austria after the war and how he was brought up. You get to read things like what got him into training, what kept him going, and social aspects like growing up, getting to know girls and all those things. I'm maybe 10% through and I'm liking the book so far.

My mustache is also coming along, not looking completely horrible. I don't think it will become full grown in time for a typical paintbrush though.

Funny how I've been looking into Zumba, Yoga, Mixed Martial Arts and Crossfit classes at the new gym and I come here to see this discussion!

I'm currently reading Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger, I really recommend it. So far I'm just a few chapters in, reading one chapter a night, and I'm hooked. It starts with Arnold as a very young kid, you get to read how it was back in Austria after the war and how he was brought up. You get to read things like what got him into training, what kept him going, and social aspects like growing up, getting to know girls and all those things. I'm maybe 10% through and I'm liking the book so far.

My mustache is also coming along, not looking completely horrible. I don't think it will become full grown in time for a typical paintbrush though.

Once I went with the mustache back in August, I put a picture of the Tick up with his quote about the mustache feeling.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Guest Snake McClain

he's on to something here guys

You know, I wonder if every Male Nerd here, has heard or is connected to Art of Manliness.

I, for one, hold it in high regards in terms of almost a literal "How to be a Man" guide.

I'm just curious though, how many of you guys read this?

I know this post is from forever ago, but I recently discovered that site and have since spent hours on it....

Level 0 Warrior
STR: 0.0 | DEX: 0.0 | CON: 0.0 | STA: 0.0 | WIS: 0.0 | CHA: 0.0

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." - Marcus Aurelius
[Twitter] [Google+]

he's on to something here guys

Hmm... well my back is in need of repair and Yoga has been known to help with these things...

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

My experience in this:

I have gone to cardio kickboxing classes, martial arts classes, dance classes, and plenty of other social classes, and the truth is, there are lots of attractive women in all of these situations.

Also been working on a new mustache and beard (for Mo-vember), and so far unhappy with the stache.

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

I know this post is from forever ago, but I recently discovered that site and have since spent hours on it....

Mullins: I've never even heard of The Art Of Manliness. It looks great, but I'm already overbooking my time trying to catch up on Nerd Fitness articles!

TheRedWriter

And finally, to go for three posts in a row on the same thread:

There's a few movies I've seen that really made me feel, "Manly", for lack of a better expression. Two that come to mind are, "Hitch", and the other being, "Fight Club" (The book is also amazing for Fight Club). Neither are in any way relatable except that they seem to be about empowering men that otherwise feel powerless to advance themselves, wether in regards to being a good guy and having confidence (Hitch), or seeing what you may be truly made of on a purely physical level (Fight Club).

What go you guys think? Any similar experiences to share? Any songs or films that are relatable?

TheRedWriter

Guest Snake McClain
Hmm... well my back is in need of repair and Yoga has been known to help with these things...

i'm actually starting yoga myself this week. i got a series of dvds now i just need the proper schedule. I have terrible flexibility and my shoudlers and neck hurt. hoping to fix that.

also starting today I'm on a new eating plan (one where I actually eat lots of meat and protein). at least 1/2 dozen eggs a day. 1 whole chicken a day (got this idea from spezzy), at least a half gallon of milk a day (will probably be more like 1 entire gallon) then fruits and veggies through out the day. and almonds when i have them on hand/can afford them.

Why you ask? Because in January Snake McClain goes back to Wrestling.

Guest Snake McClain
Mullins: I've never even heard of The Art Of Manliness. It looks great, but I'm already overbooking my time trying to catch up on Nerd Fitness articles!

If you dont spend time on the artofmanliness.com site you are doing yourslef a major disservice. :D That site is gold for us men that need to improve ourselves.

And finally, to go for three posts in a row on the same thread:

There's a few movies I've seen that really made me feel, "Manly", for lack of a better expression. Two that come to mind are, "Hitch", and the other being, "Fight Club" (The book is also amazing for Fight Club). Neither are in any way relatable except that they seem to be about empowering men that otherwise feel powerless to advance themselves, wether in regards to being a good guy and having confidence (Hitch), or seeing what you may be truly made of on a purely physical level (Fight Club).

What go you guys think? Any similar experiences to share? Any songs or films that are relatable?

I used to be a big fan of fight club. but now i'd say i'm more of a fan of hitch. fight club is a movie about a mans downward spiral into psychosis and somehow self awareness. which makes no sense.

Hitch is gold and if you pay attention you can take lessons from it and be a SERIOUS threat to ladies. Like. SERIOUS. As most of the dudes here know I went through a break up recently and in that i went on a bit of a dating rampage. Not even people I liked that much but it was to test some reading material (theory to me but fact to them). And it all is pretty gold. But anyway the point i'm getting at is if you pay attention to hitch it really sets you up to be successful with self-confidence with yourself. with women and everywhere else. it's about being in control of your emotions and reactions at all times. planning ahead. be confident. Don't say too much. keep your calm. think james bond sans the sociopathic behavior. :D